Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #1036
wallacemckart
Enthusiast
wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Those are symptoms of a dead battery. Diags can completely drain the battery. Charge it on a wall charger for a full day, then try to restart it.
I have already done it but tree screen came back and after couple minutes charge it screen appeared again. Should I charge it on wall charger more than 24 hours?
wallacemckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #1037
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFox View Post
Thanks for answer, yes I found out that I should have installed jailbreak... no comment for amazon... Can you please provide a link where I can get some information about serial port debricking, because I cannot find detailed ones.

Thanks again, I will keep posting results.
There is a description of serial port location. After connecting to it you'll should be able to see U-Boot log on reboot and invoke U-Boot prompt. I believe, bist fastboot command in U-Boot prompt will move you into fastboot mode. Then just follow debricking steps: use fastboot client and flash diags parition with pre-installed ssh etc.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #1038
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacemckart View Post
I have already done it but tree screen came back and after couple minutes charge it screen appeared again. Should I charge it on wall charger more than 24 hours?
it's been told to me and alot of others when the kindle (Reguardless the versoin)'s FW is broken never trust charge lights. as when the FW goes awol so somehow does charging.

either a: battery management cant start up (which makes reflashing a pain) or B your battery is plain out Hosed.let it tricklecharge for a few days on the wall adapter. (make sure the charger is actually working.) and try again. you can try those Fast 2A " USB chargers you can get online cheap to make sure its going to get a good enough charge to let you debrick it.
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #1039
wallacemckart
Enthusiast
wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
it's been told to me and alot of others when the kindle (Reguardless the versoin)'s FW is broken never trust charge lights. as when the FW goes awol so somehow does charging.

either a: battery management cant start up (which makes reflashing a pain) or B your battery is plain out Hosed.let it tricklecharge for a few days on the wall adapter. (make sure the charger is actually working.) and try again. you can try those Fast 2A " USB chargers you can get online cheap to make sure its going to get a good enough charge to let you debrick it.

Thank you for your advice. I have plugged to a wall charger. I will wait a couple of days.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #1040
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

well. debricking completly my K3 has become moot. i tried to ontop of flashing the stock update of 3.4 from thier site ontop of the master build image . i couldnt causde it said "Battery too low, please charge and try again" so i went to bed let it charge on my 2A adapter i use for my 512MB RaspberryPi. i got a Comissioned "Furry" story finished today wanted to read it on the kindle forgetting i tried to update. i noticed it was in the Recovery mode screen (the one with that lil life perserver icon)

when i called amazon about it. and after everything they asked me to try wouldnt get it out if it they for a onetime deal issued a replacement for free and not only because they have no more of the Wifi Only K3. they upgraded my replacement to a Wifi+3G K3.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #1041
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
...they upgraded my replacement to a Wifi+3G K3.
Excellent. That was good of them.

Update your "device" in your profile when it arrives

Happy days
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #1042
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Excellent. That was good of them.

Update your "device" in your profile when it arrives

Happy days
and updated (since it arrives today (looked it over amazon sent it via 2day shipping the other day)
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #1043
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks mate
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #1044
wallacemckart
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacemckart View Post
Thank you for your advice. I have plugged to a wall charger. I will wait a couple of days.
it has been plugged for 4 days and nothing has been changed.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #1045
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

wallace at anypoint did you flash anything to 0x0? as i had this same issue when i tried to debrick the old one. (simply put the partition table was bad.) though before you tried did you make a backup of the devid? (cause you can safely flash teh backup found floating around the partition table. here to safely recover)

if you manage to do that and kernel let it sit for atleast 12hrs. thats how i got mine to finally boot when i ended up w/ a blank rootfs & Bad partition table.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #1046
twobob

Some notes... Device K4

Files: http://ge.tt/8bd9NXU/v/1 & http://ge.tt/8bd9NXU/v/0

Resources: https://github.com/aditya3098/imx_usb_loader
Simple linux fastboot installing command:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...80&postcount=1

Get files

Install fastboot if we need to ON THE PC

sudo wget http://www.sudoforlunch.org/fastboot -O /usr/bin/fastboot && sudo chmod -cvR a+x /usr/bin/fastboot

(also you can read for reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=225)

Device K4 Silver:

Do Magic Key reboot. Pwr + Dwn

(choose fastboot ON THE PC)
sudo ./imx_gui

do the kernel remotely while we have the connetion ON THE PC
me@dev ~/GIT/imx $ sudo fastboot flash kernel /home/me/K4IMAGES/main_kernel
Quote:
downloading 'kernel'...
OKAY [ 0.150s]
writing 'kernel'...
OKAY [ 0.603s]
finished. total time: 0.753s
reboot to diags to do the main image: ON THE PC

me@dev ~/GIT/imx $ sudo fastboot setvar bootmode diags
Quote:
setting 'bootmode' to 'diags'...
bootmode diags:
finished. total time: 0.150s
ON THE PC
me@dev ~/GIT/imx $ sudo fastboot reboot
Quote:
rebooting...
In the Kindle Diags screen:
Enable Usb Network:
Quote:
N misc
U Utilities
Z usbnet
X continue
Left <
Hookup your machine in whatever way your OS needs.
For me an ifconfig of the usb port would do it. Then selecting that as the main network before I try to ssh...or scp... Some fiddling with host files may be required. it's not that tough to get past this section whatever your OS but is a popular stumbling place.

Put our files on if we didn't already...: ON THE PC

scp ./mmcblk0p1.img root@ktdb:/mnt/us/
Quote:
root@ktdb's password:
mmcblk0p1.img 100% 350MB 1.9MB/s 03:05
(you could export ktdb=192.168.15.244 or use a hosts file, or refer by IP, etc...)

ON THE PC
me@dev ~/GIT/imx $ ssh root@192.168.15.244 \
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img \
of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=1024

Quote:
358400+0 records in
358400+0 records out
367001600 bytes (350.0MB) copied, 305.112103 seconds, 1.1MB/s
Reboot, exit Diags with export to xml if you want to be extra thorough, or just set the mode or whatever to main.

K4 debrick. chalk it up.
Huge thanks to Knc1, Geekmaster, Eureka, Ixtab, aditya3098, Silver18, qlob, duckieTigger, Yifan and everyone else along the way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_159.png
Views:	325
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	100073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_160.png
Views:	307
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	100074  

Last edited by twobob; 01-26-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added some notes.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #1047
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
^ ^ ^ ^
Actually, it was a "Demo K4" -
We had first installed the 4.0 kernel and image for the 'diags' system.
Then (above) installed the 4.1 kernel and image for the 'main' system.
Then used the Amazon posted update to update 'main' to 4.1.1 - which did not disturb the 4.0 'diags' system (I.E: 'diags' ssh continued to work).

(At least I think that is what we did - I was six timezones away from the keyboard)

Just one more of the many paths that can be taken in servicing this device.

Last edited by knc1; 01-26-2013 at 08:59 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #1048
twobob

I was keeping it simple.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #1049
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I was keeping it simple.
Well, we did do that a bit differently - and discovered that the 4.1 -> 4.1.1 update doesn't seem to care what version the diags system is.

Might be trivia - might be important to someone down the line.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #1050
wallacemckart
Enthusiast

Quote:
wallace at anypoint did you flash anything to 0x0? as i had this same issue when i tried to debrick the old one. (simply put the partition table was bad.) though before you tried did you make a backup of the devid? (cause you can safely flash teh backup found floating around the partition table. here to safely recover)

if you manage to do that and kernel let it sit for atleast 12hrs. thats how i got mine to finally boot when i ended up w/ a blank rootfs & Bad partition table.
i dont think i flashed to anything. I didn't backup devid. But I remember i touched somewhere on the diagnostics menu unintentionally under "Misc Indivudual diagnostics"

Tags
debricking