Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #241
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well, as I said, I'm not that much of a TV watcher, but I am an Amazon Prime member and It did watch the entire Firefly series -- that alone was worth the Prime membership.
i currently have a prime membership trial, guess i should try to take advantage of that
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #242
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep! I've watched episodes on both my TV (which has amazon access) and on my Kindle Fire.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #243
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
anyone here avail of amazon instant video for tv series? is it worth it? i'm thinking about it but am a bit unsure. it sounds tempting though. it'll mean my days of being a pirate are soon over :P
I watch a bunch of TV series on Netflix. But there, and also on Amazon it is mostly old stuff. Not alot of new things. Although, I did find the Sherlock series on Netflix which I think is very good indeed.

I think it may be on Amazon Prime too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #244
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
darn, just found out i can't have access to the instant videos

oh well...guess it's back to the darknet for me (at least for tv series)
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #245
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
You heard about www.geexbox.org/ didn't you?

P. S. : welcome back red brat
Thanks for the welcome back! Won't be around a lot for now, but I'm trying to stop in occasionally. Yes, I heard about geexbox, and it doesn't really interest me. They went with XBMC and I'm not an XBMC fan. It's possible that down the road, a post-Eden release might have something that changes my mind, but for now I'm firmly attached to and quite happy with Windows Media Center. If I was going to build a Linux box, I'd probably go with Myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
anyone here avail of amazon instant video for tv series? is it worth it? i'm thinking about it but am a bit unsure. it sounds tempting though. it'll mean my days of being a pirate are soon over :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I watch a bunch of TV series on Netflix. But there, and also on Amazon it is mostly old stuff. Not alot of new things. Although, I did find the Sherlock series on Netflix which I think is very good indeed.

I think it may be on Amazon Prime too.

BOb
I've used Amazon (my roommate has a Prime acct, and I've signed on as him to try it) but I much prefer Netflix for streaming. For one thing, it lets me lower my bitrate while still providing decent quality. I have bandwidth caps to deal with, so this is important. For more current stuff they don't have yet, I use PlayOn with my Roku (assuming the network puts full episodes online, some don't).
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #246
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have some new bits to add to my cord cutting adventure. Currently my set-up is:
  • Boxee Box [living room]- used mostly for streaming my own content, TWiT, Revision 3, Netflix and a few other apps. Where possible I prefer to use the Boxee Box because it has the best picture quality.
  • Roku x 2 [living room and office] - used mostly for Amazon streaming [Prime, rentals and paid content], Hulu+ and YouTube [prettier on Boxee but easier to navigate on Roku - and yes, I have the grandfathered YouTube private channel that is no longer available]
  • Walltenna [living room] - for local HD channels [CBS, NBC and local KTLA 5], the wall antennas are very fickle. Sometimes I can get more channels and sometimes not. It even changes throughout the day. I live in a condo, so a regular roof antenna is difficult to do. I previously used a Leaf antenna with about the same results with and without a signal booster.
  • Leaf Antenna [office] - this one gets all the major networks because I'm able to put the Leaf antenna in a window [can't in the living room] but it can also change throughout the day. I have a smaller TV in the office so I don't use it as much.
  • Philips SWW1890/27 Wireless HD Net Connect - this allows me to stream directly from my laptop to my TV. It's good for those times when Hulu+ forces me to use a computer to watch a show. I tried using a 15 foot HDMI cable so I could easily control the laptop but I think the weight of the cable being strung out was bad for the HDMI ports on the TV and the laptop [I would lose the conntection to the TV if I moved the laptop too much]. The Philips solved that problem but image quality doesn't seem to be as good as the Boxee but that could be a problem with the laptop itself [damaged HDMI port?] or maybe the distance from the receiver. Also the connector to the laptop runs hot, so I don't like to use it for long periods of time.

The big new addition is the Kindle Fire HD with it's HDMI out. Even without it being rooted, it covers all the services I currently use with apps [built-in, downloaded from Amazon or sideloaded from XDA and 1Mobile Market].

Last night, I discovered [actually Amazon recommended] an app called DroidTV. It's a subscription app that costs $8.99 every three months that will download many shows to my KFHD. Last night, I marathoned season 5 of True Blood which I can't even purchase yet from Amazon. The shows do not stream to the Fire, they must be downloaded and it takes a while but it can be set up to download your show automatically overnight. The shows are also commercial free. The highest quality you will get is 480p HD but that's fine for a 7 inch screen. Some episodes were really clean and clear and others not so much. I had 6 shows on the Fire at one time and I still had quite a bit of room left.

Since most of the CBS shows I like are missing from Hulu+, I'll use this app to download those shows instead of buying them for $2 per episode.

If you have an Andoid device, you may want to give DroidTV a try.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #247
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My hard drive in the laptop I use as a DVR died.

Fortunately I was able to replace it (despite having to completely disassemble) the laptop with a larger one for $70 and almost double the capacity (500GB). All is working well again.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #248
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
My hard drive in the laptop I use as a DVR died.

Fortunately I was able to replace it (despite having to completely disassemble) the laptop with a larger one for $70 and almost double the capacity (500GB). All is working well again.
Kind of sounds like a gift.

If my TV antenna channels would stick, I have computers I could use as DVRs but so far, I must live in the streaming/downloading world.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #249
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Daffy...

Great too see you around these parts.

I have to admit I re-upped with Verizon. Downloading was a bit of a pain. And, once I wasn't a customer for three months I was able to get new deals. So, for $10 a month more than I was paying for Internet only I've got Internet/TV/Digital Phone from Verizon.

But, I also do Netflix and Amazon streaming with the Roku as well. They just added a VuDu channel and VuDu syncs up with Ultraviolet. I have been considering doing the Disk to Digital conversion through Wallmart.. but it would only be a small portion of my collection. But you can upgrade to HD versions for less than buying a new Blu-Ray would be. Oh, and I don't have a blu-ray player either, so there is that.

The only issue I have with streaming is that it seems I never get Dolby HD sound... it always seems to be PL II... no where near as good.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #250
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Old thread :-) .... but still valid I guess.

Has someone tried the new Aereo live streaming T.V ?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #251
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Old thread :-) .... but still valid I guess.

Has someone tried the new Aereo live streaming T.V ?
I don't know anyone personally who is using it. It's not in our market yet.

I could maybe see it if I lived somewhere where I couldn't have an outside antenna and an indoor one didn't pick up enough channels, or maybe in a fringe area where reception is just bad. Outside of that, I struggle to see a use for it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #252
kennyc

Billion year old thread but wanted to mention that Roku3 is on the feature at Woot! today if anyone is interested.

http://www.woot.com/offers/roku-3-st...0a2c-278072317
Old 12-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #253
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Billion year old thread but wanted to mention that Roku3 is on the feature at Woot! today if anyone is interested.

http://www.woot.com/offers/roku-3-st...0a2c-278072317
Thanks Kenny, was going to get 2, but it is a refurb. I can get a new one on Amazon for only $18 more. Also, can't use the roku 3 with my current TV/Reciever since I have no HDMI inputs. The current roku I have has an optical audio out, not sure why they dropped that on the newer models.

BOb
Old 12-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #254
kennyc

Yep, refurbished by manufacturer so carries the same warranty.....

I had the opposite problem when buying a laptop for my DVR setup...I had to make sure the laptop had an HDMI port.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #255
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yep, refurbished by manufacturer so carries the same warranty.....

I had the opposite problem when buying a laptop for my DVR setup...I had to make sure the laptop had an HDMI port.
True on the Warranty.

Although, I'm probably going to get a SmartTV soon, so that will basically eliminate the need for the Roku.

BOb