Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I did the same thing when I read his post. The new iPhone is gonna sell like crazy. No way it's a flop that won't sell.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
iflop
Quote:
It’s a weird paradox. The iPhone 5 can simultaneously be the best phone on the market and really, really boring. And that has almost nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with our expectations.
Quote:
Without emergent inexpensive technologies to force or enable industrial design changes (think: the way cheap flash memory changed the iPod’s design or SSD made possible the MacBook Air) Apple has little reason to shake things up once it has a product really nailed down. With the iPhone, in its sixth iteration, things have gotten so good that Apple does not change very much anymore
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...g-and-amazing/
Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #18
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One

OK, start the show.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
I did the same thing when I read his post. The new iPhone is gonna sell like crazy. No way it's a flop that won't sell.
Of course it will sell gazillions. But based on what Apple brought to the table it is a technological flop.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
it is a technological flop.
No ones keeping score there...even if that were... true.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
They will sell a lot.

BUT, I wonder if only to those wanting an Apple replacement for older iPhone 3/3G's and iPhone 4's.

I doubt there is enough there in the iPhone5 to swing those looking at upgrades for their current Samsung smartphones for a serious challenge to Samsung's present dominance.

More people I speak to in my corner of the world are moving away from Apple products, towards Samsung offerings.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #22
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
They will sell a lot.

BUT, I wonder if only to those wanting an Apple replacement for older iPhone 3/3G's and iPhone 4's.
I have a 4, purchased at a discount the day after the 4s was announced last October. Have absolutely zero interest in the 5.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #23
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just upgraded to a 4S from my 4, the only reason was that my iPhone4's home button was starting to stick badly. Plus the telco I am with offered it gratis.

I am certainly not alone in this.

There will be the Apple diehards, keen gadget heads and fanbois who will sleep out side Apple shops for a night to be the first to own the new kid on the block, but after that initial "rush", business as usual and that means Apple may well still be behind Android powered products.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #24
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
My parents and I would be fine with Jitterbugs, if we could get them with a real carrier instead of the POS carrier that they're all locked in to.
I was sitting on the beach in the bright sun and had my phone with me. It rang but I couldn't see the screen in the bright sun to answer it. Next year I'm taking out the smart card and sticking it in my old Magnavox LCD clamshell phone with the dedicated keypad. I'll be able to see who's calling and answer the phone no matter how bright it is out. The hell with these new phones.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #25
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I just upgraded to a 4S from my 4, the only reason was that my iPhone4's home button was starting to stick badly. Plus the telco I am with offered it gratis.

I am certainly not alone in this.

There will be the Apple diehards, keen gadget heads and fanbois who will sleep out side Apple shops for a night to be the first to own the new kid on the block, but after that initial "rush", business as usual and that means Apple may well still be behind Android powered products.
Seriously, how thin does a phone have to be? If you leave out NFC and other goodies just to shave a few millimeters off an already thin enough phone, does that make sense? Is this in the users' best interests, or just a silly contest for bragging rights?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #26
sabredog

I had a hands on look at the Google Nexus yesterday that one of our IT blokes has.

Mighty nice piece of kit with a wider screen that the iPhone has.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I had a hands on look at the Google Nexus yesterday that one of our IT blokes has.

Mighty nice piece of kit with a wider screen that the iPhone has.
You should then see the S3 or the One-X; the Galaxy Nexus, though a nice phone, is getting a bit old now, almost a year since announcement. That said, at the current price of about $300 unlocked and contract free, it's a bargain.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #28
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Seriously, how thin does a phone have to be? If you leave out NFC and other goodies just to shave a few millimeters off an already thin enough phone, does that make sense? Is this in the users' best interests, or just a silly contest for bragging rights?
I would call that a bulls-eye! Dead on target.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #29
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Coming back further on that point.

"bragging rights"

They seem to want a phone that is so thin, it is sharp like a razor!

But wait we have already had a "razor" phone or one called that. Maybe Apple is infringing on a "thinness" patent or trademark?

Silly? Yes. But so is all this thinness. I would like a phone that a standard USB plug would plug into. Or removal AAA batteries could got into. It can just be at one end. Others have expressed the same thought, but I guess we are too few to matter.

(We need some drawing tools on the site.)

......(thin part)...............................(thick part)

==================================== (auto focus camera end)
==================================== (battery end)
.................................................. .======= (usb connector end)

..(wonderful slim body to hold above )

Or even a phone or tablet that has an extra 5-10mm for a battery that will last for a solid 24 hours full on.

Can one just dream? Or is this heresy, and these unclean thoughts
are going to cause riots throughout the world?

Last edited by frahse; 09-13-2012 at 07:58 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #30
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
No ones keeping score there...even if that were... true.
Oh yes they do keep score. GSMarena, is just a very small example of positive and negative scorekeeping in regards to iPhone 5.

FYI, your links have almost nothing to do with Apple and almost everything to do with ARM & QCOM, the actual innovators of Apple's processor technology and LTE technology respectively.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote