Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
sapphirekitty
sapphirekitty began at the beginning.

Device: m001 no manyf name
Eken m001 Android 7 inch Tablet

I just bought one of these via ebay. There is no manuafacturer listed but all the pics of the eken are the same.

Basically how in the world do you put video on this thing? I bought it for the wifi ereader and video capabilities, but for the life of me cant get video to play on it. Im about ready to ship it back to seller and flame him on ebay. I just want a nice 7" screen that plays smooth videos and books for work.

Any software suggestions for the movie conversions is greatley appreciated. i have tried about 10 programs and nothing.

Thanks
Sapphire Kitty
sapphirekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Dalkor
Dalkor began at the beginning.

Device: Wits A81-E
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82976
Dalkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
sapphirekitty
sapphirekitty began at the beginning.

Device: m001 no manyf name
I am not droid savvy. Do I download the program to my pc or to my ekem device?
sapphirekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Dalkor
Dalkor began at the beginning.

Device: Wits A81-E
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalandar View Post
Mine was pretty cheap, around $85 including shipping (love late night auction sniping). And no card or case was included at all.

I have played with it some more, and the battery life is just as bad as advertised.

I was finally able to get some video files to play on it, however, I had to encode them to 3GP (the video players support mp4/h264 but no matter how low the settings wouldn't play them), and had to use very low quality settings. The quality was horrible, and even with these low quality settings the video player would struggle, lots of stutters and dropped frames.
In short — M001 sucks at playing videos, but if you are eager to watch something on M001, encode it in 3gp with a very low bit-rate and, I suppose, you should use Baseline Profile in codec settings.
Dalkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
digitalfad
digitalfad began at the beginning.

Device: JE200,JAnd700, Hero G3;
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphirekitty View Post
I just bought one of these via ebay. There is no manuafacturer listed but all the pics of the eken are the same.

Basically how in the world do you put video on this thing? I bought it for the wifi ereader and video capabilities, but for the life of me cant get video to play on it. Im about ready to ship it back to seller and flame him on ebay. I just want a nice 7" screen that plays smooth videos and books for work.

Any software suggestions for the movie conversions is greatley appreciated. i have tried about 10 programs and nothing.

Thanks
Sapphire Kitty
Hi, Sapphire

Last edited by digitalfad; 10-20-2010 at 04:35 AM.
digitalfad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
valen
insert witty title here
valen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I have one of these from ebay too. I've had no luck getting it to play video and I've basically given up. I then tried to use it as a PDF reader and found it intolerable for that as well. My wife on the other hand likes it and has taken it over. I think she just has low standards (which come to think of it explains a lot).
valen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I'll repeat my solution to the eken problems...
Sell it while the market's good.

I had mine for ten days and realized it is an extremely limited device in every way. The one selling point it really has is the Android OS. I promoted the Android aspect on a Craigslist post and sold it for a profit. I made enough money and was able to buy a new Wirelession W1060 for $10 more. The Wirelession is so much better than the Eken that for all practical purposes I solved all the problems.

So, the only realistic way to get around the Eken's limitations is to sell it now. Don't wait... Android devices might not be in such high demand in a few months and people might not be so quick to accept limitations such as the Eken has.
Otherwise, you will just have to endure the frustrations inherent with the Eken.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote