Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
_Lulu_
_Lulu_ began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question New Nook & Adobe Digital Editions Issues

Greetings!

I just bought my nook yesterday and would like to download library ebooks from my library's Overdrive system. I've installed ADE and registered an Adobe ID to activate my computer however ADE is not auto-recognizing my nook. Nook shows up on the computer (PC-Windows XP) itself but nothing happens in ADE. I've tried plugging in the Nook and then starting up ADE, and plugging it in while ADE is already running. Tried de-activating and re-installing and nothing has worked.

Is there a way to force ADE to recognize my Nook? Is there some other software I'm missing on my Nook or PC?

Help please!!

Thanks!
_Lulu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
_Lulu_
_Lulu_ began at the beginning.

Update: Unregistered Nook and reset back to factory settings and then re-registered. Now appears to be working.
_Lulu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Good to hear you got it worked out! Enjoy your Nook!
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Nadira
Nadira began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thank you!!! I have been searching for days to make this work and read your comments and tried it and it worked!
Nadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I initially had trouble with ADE and my nook too. I had to re-install Adobe Flash and open ADE *before* I plugged the Nook into the USB port. Only then would ADE recognize my Nook. After that initial set-up, it's worked fine in Windows.

Does anyone know how to get Flash to work with WINE? I've got ADE to run in Linux with Wine, but not the Flash, so ADE can't see my Nook in Linux. I hate to reboot to windows just to load the occasional library or Kobo book.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
you could just install windows into a kvm(used to be called qemu) or a virtualbox or something like that, or heck, get a vmware player blank image and install windows on it.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Flash is not used to detect devices by ADE. (It is used for the badge launchers like you can find at http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/library)
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I just plugged my nook into the computer but had ADE opened up first, and it found nook right away.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Flash is not used to detect devices by ADE. (It is used for the badge launchers like you can find at http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/library)
Without Flash, ADE will not detect my nook. The program requires flash in order to carry out the task, I suppose that's different. I can't get ADE to find my nook in Ubuntu, because I can't get the flipping flash to run.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Without Flash, ADE will not detect my nook. The program requires flash in order to carry out the task, I suppose that's different. I can't get ADE to find my nook in Ubuntu, because I can't get the flipping flash to run.
Let me try this again (this time I'll put a signature on).
ADE does not requires the Flash browser plugin to be installed in order to detect attached devices. ADE uses the Windows systems level notification for detecting device attachment/removal which does not use the Flash browser plugin. If installing the Flash browser plugin fixed your problem it was side effect (if indeed it changed anything), and was not the primary cause.

Your problems with Ubuntu are more likely to be caused by WINE incompatibilities with handling USB devices (and issuing appropriate connection/disconnection notices).

--
Jim Lester
Lead Engineer - Digital Publishing
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
cearbhallain
Groupie

Are there any plans to develop a Linux version of ADE? It would be something that many Linux users would appreciate.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
Jim Lester
Evangelist

I try to leave the future plan announcements to marketing (because they like to do those), but no, there are currently no plans to release ADE for Linux desktop platforms.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Have you tried plugging in the nook first and then running ADE? I had no problem authorizing my nook with ADE on Ubuntu and no problem transferring content. You might try using crossover to install ADE instead of standard WINE. If you download crossover chromium from the crossover office site, you'll also be able to use crossover to install windows apps.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
cearbhallain
Groupie

Thank you for the suggestions. It's possible that I didn't try plugging in the Nook before opening ADE because it definitely didn't work to do it that way in windows. If that isn't this issue I'll start reading about crossover. Thank you for giving me a place to start.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:24 AM   #15
j-dickson
j-dickson began at the beginning.

nook using adobe digital editions with a book from kobo

For mac users

hook up nook via usb to your mac
after the computer lists the nook in the finder open ADE
ADE should ask you to authorize the account

ADE will not recognize the nook unless it's opened after the nook has been attached.

Once the file has been transfered to the nook select check for new content.

If you look at your nook file directory in the finder you'll notice a new folder named "Digital Editions" files from ADE must be in that folder to open properly.
j-dickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, library, nook