Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
ChrisDolley
Author
ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
Magical Crimes - CSI with Magic - $0.99

Book View Cafe presents Magical Crimes, a fun urban fantasy eNovelette by Chris Dolley, author of Resonance (Baen)

Magical Crimes is a fun CSI with magic and ‘a little something else’ story. The little something else being two foot long and lurking in the hero’s trousers. But don’t worry, the p#@%$ in this story is used purely for the purpose God intended – humour and crimefighting – not lustful titillation.

Seb Kemp is a psychic profiler with a problem. After a night out drinking, some men wake up with an unexpected tattoo. Seb woke up with a floor-length p#@%$ and no memory of how, when or where it happened. To make matters worse, magic doesn’t work well with living tissue. The results are unpredictable. The spell might fade after a few days or ... something might drop off.

He needs help but, Pete, his forensic magician partner, is 3,000 miles away working on another case and Seb’s new partner is of the young and female persuasion. Not to mention extremely hot. The two of them are thrown together to solve a high profile locked room mystery where the utmost tact and diplomacy is required – not easy for a man with unpredictable trousers.

Praise for Magical Crimes:

“I want my detectives like my murderers – well hung,” Dorothy L Christie

“CSI with a big dick - and I don’t mean David Caruso,” The Miami Enquirer

It’s available for download here, DRM-free, in all popular eBook formats (PDF, epub, mobi, lit, lrf, prc) for $0.99. It’s also available at Amazon’s kindle store here

Chris

Resonance (Baen)
Shift (Baen)
Magical Crimes (BVC)

Last edited by ChrisDolley; 01-12-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: clarity
ChrisDolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
CSI already use magic as far as I can tell, love that image sharpening magic.

Thanks though.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
ChrisDolley
Author
ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Oh, I almost forgot - here's an extract:

“What are we supposed to be looking at?” I asked Kozlov.

“That,” he replied, pointing at something on the floor at the far end of the room. “I want to know if that’s my daughter.”

I walked over, peering as I went. I heard a click as Tulsa switched on her glove. What were we looking at? Those tiny plastic figures on the floor? There were two of them about an inch and a half high. One, a girl, was sat – no, tied – to a chair. The other was sprawled on the floor, their arms and legs twisted as though they’d collapsed unconscious.

I leaned closer. The girl was gagged, her wrists, torso and ankles tied to the tiny chair. The carving, or moulding or whatever it was, was very lifelike – the details were sharp, the colours spot on. Could it be real? Had she been magically shrunk and turned to … plastic or whatever material that was?

The other figure just lay there, face turned to one side. It looked male – maybe teens or early twenties, dressed in a T-shirt, jeans and sneakers.

“Who’s the other figure supposed to be?” I asked.

“Ryan Mullen. My daughter’s boyfriend.”

“And the chair? Is that from this room?”

“It’s from her dressing table.”

I turned to check. One dressing table. No chair. This was either one very elaborate hoax or…

“I’m picking up large traces of magic,” said Tulsa. “From both figures.”

Chris

Resonance (Baen)
Shift (Baen)
Magical Crimes (BVC)
Old 01-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
How does one "almost forget" an extract? (This is an opening: Please continue with your thread.)

Oh, almost forgot (): The cover image sends chills up my, er....bones.

I should add, in full disclosure mode here, that I almost forgot to take Exlax one day. I think that's different than a missing extract.

Looks like a VERY FUNNY read!!

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-15-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
CSI already use magic as far as I can tell, love that image sharpening magic.
The image sharpening is absolutely possible-but they've got to be using some time-dilation magic to do it that fast. (I haven't worked with imaging for a number of years now, but even 10 years ago there were ray-tracing/edge definition programs that would do that-but they took days to do what CSI does in seconds. Or maybe weeks as I don't recall ever using them to quite the same extent. My memory says that was time constraints though, rather than inability. BTW, there would undoubtedly be some legal issues with what they're doing-anything beyond the simplest computer-enhancement of images is usually not allowed as evidence.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
ChrisDolley
Author

Magical Crimes is now available from Smashwords here.

No 'almost forgot' this time

Chris Dolley

Resonance (Baen)
Shift (Baen)
Magical Crimes (Book View Cafe)
Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
Grabbed it.