Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
tj_shopper
tj_shopper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Kindle for the iPad

I have the Kindle app for the iPad. I have a lot of books on my Kindle. I was wondering if there is a way to sort the books into genres. I love all kinds of books and thought it would be nice if there was a bookshelf or folder where I can sort my books by category, i.e. Romance, Suspense, Mystery, etc. Does anyone know if I can do this? The only thing I see is how to sort the books alphabetically, by author or by how new the book is.

Thanks.
tj_shopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No, there is no real organization in the app. Hopefully Amazon will be adding 'collections' like the eInk devices have to their iThing & Android apps eventually.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
tj_shopper
tj_shopper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks.

Thank you. I didn't think so but thought I would ask. I hope they do it soon. It's pretty cumbersome.
tj_shopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, there is no real organization in the app. Hopefully Amazon will be adding 'collections' like the eInk devices have to their iThing & Android apps eventually.
I wouldn't count on it as they haven't even give the collections option to the Fire. I wish they would though.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't understand why they don't allow collections on the apps and on the Fire. It makes little to no real sense. I would far prefer the collections showing on my screen then some of the book covers I have.

I really would like an option to not have the book covers showing. I am fine searching by titles.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
It may be that they haven't considered it or set it as a software priority. You might send them a note asking about it. If several people did –they just might move it a bit higher on their development list. I've got +60 books in my "Old Reads" folder in my K3 and haven't recognized a need for it. I'm not saying your idea isn't a good one, 'cause it is. Perhaps they just haven't thought about the need for it.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wouldn't count on it as they haven't even give the collections option to the Fire. I wish they would though.
They don't have it now sure, but we can hope they'll add it. If the Fire gets it the Android app should get it, but the iOS app seems to get new features first. I wouldn't have thought they'd add the ability to email docs to the apps either, but they've done that so there is some hope that collections might follow.

I really wish they'd do a better job of having a more consistent experience and feature set across the entire Kindle platform (devices, mobile apps, desktop apps).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Their kindle app for Windows phone doesn't allow even basic functionality like sideloading mobi books.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Their kindle app for Windows phone doesn't allow even basic functionality like sideloading mobi books.
Can you load your own content via personal documents?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you load your own content via personal documents?
No, it's not possible to do even that.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
So there is no Kindle or Kindle/Documents folder in which to place your docs? It might be a file permissions thing like it was on my iPad and iPod touch and I had to use a 3rd party Windows application to access the appropriate folders. Don't remember all the details now since I haven't had either for a long time, but it could be that Windows Phone OS doesn't give access to certain folders without using some 3rd party app. Apple is bad about that but Microsoft normally doesn't try to lock down their file systems like that. Of course it could just be because the Amazon developers don't have the necessary skills yet to make the app comparable to other platforms.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
So there is no Kindle or Kindle/Documents folder in which to place your docs? It might be a file permissions thing like it was on my iPad and iPod touch and I had to use a 3rd party Windows application to access the appropriate folders. Don't remember all the details now since I haven't had either for a long time, but it could be that Windows Phone OS doesn't give access to certain folders without using some 3rd party app. Apple is bad about that but Microsoft normally doesn't try to lock down their file systems like that. Of course it could just be because the Amazon developers don't have the necessary skills yet to make the app comparable to other platforms.
You're right. It's windows that has locked down their phone platform, rather than Amazon making it difficult to sideload mobi books. Amazon is at fault for not letting us download our personal documents onto the app for the windows phone.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
You're right. It's windows that has locked down their phone platform, rather than Amazon making it difficult to sideload mobi books. Amazon is at fault for not letting us download our personal documents onto the app for the windows phone.
I know nothing about the Windows Phone OS, but I bet if you search you will find some hacks available. Not being able to sideload books is bad.