Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #16
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Last I knew, the Netflix speed issue was fixed by editing your build.prop with a different model name... Takes about a minute with root explorer...? Or use this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1119093

I'm a "if it's not broke" person too, but the nightlies have been WAY better than the battery-sucking 7.0.3 stable.

I'm updating to RC1 today. I'd think people that don't like to update much would be better off waiting for the official stable 7.1 though.
For some reason, my system files were not writable, even with Root Explorer. Someone on XDA made an app to fix this problem, but not until after I'd already reverted to 7.0.3. After spending 8 hours trying all the fixes that had been posted up to that point, to no avail, I'm not wanting to waste another weekend on this.

I'll wait.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #17
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
If you used verygreen's size-agnostic SD installer, it's just a matter of putting his uboot update (toward the bottom of his OP) and the RC1 .zip on the boot partition of your SD card, then booting into recovery.

I tried the above method and it didn't work. I've tried it three times.

I tried to use Rom Manager to install the ROM from the SD card. It didn't work. I tried this method five times.

I give up.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
I've been running 7.1RC since I updated CWM about two weeks ago...it told me there was an update available and I installed it. Had the chipmunks but someone on XDA has written a small apk that you can install that fixes that! I think it's called NetFix.
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
So, how is the battery life with 7.1RC? The poor battery life on 7.0.3 really can't be ignored anymore. It's gotten to the point where I just have to turn it off when not using it in order to conserve. Even with WiFI off it drains ridiculously quick.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
So, how is the battery life with 7.1RC? The poor battery life on 7.0.3 really can't be ignored anymore. It's gotten to the point where I just have to turn it off when not using it in order to conserve. Even with WiFI off it drains ridiculously quick.
It's a lot better. I no longer have to turn it or the WiFi off to conserve.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Thank you. I'll go for it and update tonight.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Is battery life with CM 7.1 as good as the rooted stock 2.1?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #23
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Fantastic. It's been great on the nightlies for about a month now. I get 2-4, 5 days again, depending on usage.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #24
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Fantastic. It's been great on the nightlies for about a month now. I get 2-4, 5 days again, depending on usage.
Thank you. I've already noticed a difference. My battery's been at 80 for 12 hours. This was never the case before!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #25
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
How does CM7.1 battery life compare to the stock software?
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #26
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
How does CM7.1 battery life compare to the stock software?
With difficulty?

Maybe you could give us some details of what kind of battery life you're seeing and under what kinds of use. Most of us have only used one or the other for long enough to make any generalizations about battery life, and it's going to vary considerably even from charge to charge for each user, based on patterns of use, and even moreso between users.

I think there have been times I've seen as little as 4 hours of use with heavy browsing, video and/or games and a fairly bright screen, and others I'd swear I got 9 or 10 hours out of the thing just reading with Wi-Fi off. With deep sleep working, there is no appreciable battery drain when the device is not in use. I mostly do plug it in to top off when I'm not expecting to use it for a bit, but when I deliberately left it off the charger during a week that I was pretty much just reading for an hour here and there, it went over six days before it got in the red.

Keeping in mind that my NC is overclocked to run the CPU as much as 60% above the top stock speed, I'd say battery life has to be at least comparable to stock, but I haven't worked with stock enough to make an informed comparison.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #27
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

I never could get my 7.0.3 sd card to update so I purchased another card and started all over with 7.1. All is working well and I look forward to better battery life. It was not that difficult to reset the screens as Market stored all my apps. Amazon for Android did not re-install them automatically, but was still easy.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 AM   #28
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
With difficulty?

Maybe you could give us some details of what kind of battery life you're seeing and under what kinds of use. Most of us have only used one or the other for long enough to make any generalizations about battery life, and it's going to vary considerably even from charge to charge for each user, based on patterns of use, and even moreso between users.

I think there have been times I've seen as little as 4 hours of use with heavy browsing, video and/or games and a fairly bright screen, and others I'd swear I got 9 or 10 hours out of the thing just reading with Wi-Fi off. With deep sleep working, there is no appreciable battery drain when the device is not in use. I mostly do plug it in to top off when I'm not expecting to use it for a bit, but when I deliberately left it off the charger during a week that I was pretty much just reading for an hour here and there, it went over six days before it got in the red.

Keeping in mind that my NC is overclocked to run the CPU as much as 60% above the top stock speed, I'd say battery life has to be at least comparable to stock, but I haven't worked with stock enough to make an informed comparison.

I'd say that's an accurate summary. I ran rooted stock for about 3 months on mine. It's comparable to stock - not quite as good (esp. given dynamic overclocking) but it's pretty dang good.

You can run it down quickly (I'd say video / youtube being the big one for me) but that's pretty obvious if you think about it.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #29
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
Any wifi issues?

I can't get CM7 7.0.3 to work with my wifi. Have you noticed any wifi problems with the new release? Thanks.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #30
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

The effort to upgrade to 7.1 was worth it. The difference in battery life, even when shut down, is substantial. I use the battery widget. It was at 92% last night and 88% this morning.