Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Seanno
Captain - Space Patrol
Seanno doesn't litterSeanno doesn't litter

Device: ECO Reader
Cannot open PDF book in Eco Reader... XPDF?

Hi

I have been reading a PDF book that i bought from Diesel.com. As I was reading it in my ECO Reader (which i am very impressed with), I clicked on something that looked like "Read in XPDF" Just to see what would happen, now i cannot open the book again.

Seanno

Last edited by Seanno; 03-02-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Seanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi Seanno, open an unprotected PDF (e.g. your User Manual) and when it's open select Read by Adobe from the menu. This will close the manual and you can then open the Diesel book.

Glad you're enjoying your ECO Reader!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Seanno
Captain - Space Patrol
Seanno doesn't litterSeanno doesn't litter

Device: ECO Reader
No More XPDF

Thanks, Cbell

Wasn't that easy, i can go back to reading Edgar Rice Burroughs, Master Mind of Mars now. I'll just keep away from XPDF.

Cheers

Seanno
Seanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
As you've found, XPDF is only suitable for non-DRM'd Adobe PDF books.

We chose to include the option of reading PDFs with XPDF on our ECO Reader firmware, as XPDF processes and displays PDFs differently to Adobe.

XPDF zooms the page, while maintaining the aspect ratio and formatting of the page. Adobe zooms by resizing the font and reflowing the text.

If ECO Reader owners don't want the option for using XPDF, we can remove it with a firmware update.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
I don't exactly own an ECO Reader, but I have seen PDF files you can only open with XPDF. Scanned articles happen to fall in this category sometimes.
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
Ellean
Ellean began at the beginning.

Device: DoctorYi
My DoctorYi reader can read PDF directly like TXT files..can not ECO reader support such PDF files?
Ellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellean View Post
My DoctorYi reader can read PDF directly like TXT files..can not ECO reader support such PDF files?
Yes it can. If you read the PDF using the Adobe PDF reader on the Eco Reader. Optionally the user has the option of using XPDF and zooming differently. To sum up, the Eco Reader offers two apps to read PDFs by.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
As you've found, XPDF is only suitable for non-DRM'd Adobe PDF books.

We chose to include the option of reading PDFs with XPDF on our ECO Reader firmware, as XPDF processes and displays PDFs differently to Adobe.

XPDF zooms the page, while maintaining the aspect ratio and formatting of the page. Adobe zooms by resizing the font and reflowing the text.

If ECO Reader owners don't want the option for using XPDF, we can remove it with a firmware update.
Actually have XPDF is important as it can handle eBooks that are made from images better than Adobe can. But perhaps there is a better way to offer this choice than having to open a book and select it from the openbook menu. There should be a choice in tools/user preferences for this and other items.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote