Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
radiofishlips
radiofishlips began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 NT
Kindle 4 frozen on system diag

Hi All,

so i recently bought a kindle 4 its the non touch black version and after a few days use i decided i wanted to change the screensaver. so after a search on the net i found a few places with instructions about how to go about doing so.

after following said instructions i got to the point of conecting with SSH which didnt work for me ... even after turning on the USBnet and configing my network conection to the correct ip details i was getting a connection error message from putty. deciding i needed to do some more reaserch i backed out of the diag menu to the point where i had to chose the 'Exit Reboot or Disable Diags' which i went into used the Disable Diagnostics option and the device then flashed the screen back to the main system diag menu and it seems to have frozen there the dpad wont let me change selection nor will it enter the selected sub menu ...

it also wont register on my computer as a usbdevice or as a usb network conection.

anyone have any ideas on this or have any idea about a hardware reset option that may kick this into life for me

Cheers
Josh
radiofishlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofishlips View Post
Hi All,

so i recently bought a kindle 4 its the non touch black version and after a few days use i decided i wanted to change the screensaver. so after a search on the net i found a few places with instructions about how to go about doing so.

after following said instructions i got to the point of conecting with SSH which didnt work for me ... even after turning on the USBnet and configing my network conection to the correct ip details i was getting a connection error message from putty. deciding i needed to do some more reaserch i backed out of the diag menu to the point where i had to chose the 'Exit Reboot or Disable Diags' which i went into used the Disable Diagnostics option and the device then flashed the screen back to the main system diag menu and it seems to have frozen there the dpad wont let me change selection nor will it enter the selected sub menu ...

it also wont register on my computer as a usbdevice or as a usb network conection.

anyone have any ideas on this or have any idea about a hardware reset option that may kick this into life for me

Cheers
Josh
Can you reboot it (even if only back into diags)? If not, it may have a discharged battery, which happens when a kindle is left in diags for any length of time. Charge it with a wall charger for 20 hours.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi All,

Cheers
Josh
Can you reboot it (even if only back into diags)? If not, it may have a discharged battery, which happens when a kindle is left in diags for any length of time. Charge it with a wall charger for 20 hours.

Unless your diags partition is damaged, you should be able to use USB networking. Your host PC needs to have a manually assigned IP address (192.168.15.201 recommended).
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
radiofishlips

no cant seem to reboot it at all. the only reboot command i found was via system menu or the standard pressing the power button. and it dosnt seem to change the display at all when i turn it off with the power button. so unlwess there is a special key combo to force it to reboot i have tried holding the power button down for 5 to 10 sec but it seemed to make no diference. it should have been fully charged but ill plug it in for 12 or so hours and see if that fixes the issue or at least makes some change to things

i cant see how the diag partition would damaged at all but you never know with these things. at the moment my computer wont even see the kindle as a device at all which is a it of a head scracher as it was seeing it happily when i tried to back out of diag mode

Last edited by radiofishlips; 12-13-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
geekmaster

You should leave it plugged in and charging while in diags mode. It will discharge again when you unplug it.
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
radiofishlips

problem partially sorted .... i just finished reading through your MtgTool stuff and managed to get that to throw it back into main mode so its useable which is good the only thing that is left is that it goes back into diag mode if i reboot it from the settings menu oh well as long as thats the only time it does it i can cope

thanks for your comments here and thanks a whole lot more for your awesome threads for the rest of the stuff
Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
geekmaster

You need to delete ENABLE_DIAGS from its USB drive to prevent rebooting to diags. You might also need to reset the bootmode var. You can do that with fastboot, or if you can get to diags SSH, you can do these commands:

rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
idme -d --bootmode main
reboot
Old 12-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
radiofishlips

arr it must be the bootmode var then cause the file is well gone .... as soon as i get fastboot running ill do that .... ill wait till i get home to a linux computer to do that tho ...i also cant seem to get ssh working i read somwhere that the newer k4nt have had ssh disabled or something which was the main reason i couldnt get in in the first place to change the screen saver ... this also can wait
Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
arr it must be the bootmode var then cause the file is well gone .... as soon as i get fastboot running ill do that .... ill wait till i get home to a linux computer to do that tho ...i also cant seem to get ssh working i read somwhere that the newer k4nt have had ssh disabled or something which was the main reason i couldnt get in in the first place to change the screen saver ... this also can wait
You can use MfgTool to boot to fastboot, then use the fastboot tool to change the bootmode var. Or if you can disable diags from its exit menu, that also changes the bootmode var.