Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
FDD, thanks!

It runs on my A62. Could you compile g_ether.ko (please!)

P.S. I can't run Qt applications from 'app' user:

Qt for Embedded Linux data directory is not owned by user 16
Hello Sergey, I have very little time right now and compiling the module is a bit lengthy because I had to fix a few symbol versioning numbers by hand since a config file is not available. I will give this a try when I have some spare time (end of month). Otherwise you can compile it by yourself: the kernel is available here, but its missing a couple of patches from Onyx, so I wouldn't boot that kernel as is ; I extracted the symbols versions from an image of the kernel (I can PM that list if you want to give it a try), made a configuration as close as I could to the one Onyx used, build the full kernel image (otherwise you would not get versioning information in the modules and they won't load), build the module and finally hex-edited the module to change the versioning information that didn't match. A bit painful as you can see, so after I graduate I will definitely try and get a correct configuration to avoid the patching bit.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #17
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
Hello Sergey, I have very little time right now and compiling the module is a bit lengthy because I had to fix a few symbol versioning numbers by hand since a config file is not available. I will give this a try when I have some spare time (end of month). Otherwise you can compile it by yourself: the kernel is available here, but its missing a couple of patches from Onyx, so I wouldn't boot that kernel as is ; I extracted the symbols versions from an image of the kernel (I can PM that list if you want to give it a try), made a configuration as close as I could to the one Onyx used, build the full kernel image (otherwise you would not get versioning information in the modules and they won't load), build the module and finally hex-edited the module to change the versioning information that didn't match. A bit painful as you can see, so after I graduate I will definitely try and get a correct configuration to avoid the patching bit.
Hi

I tried to build the module yesterday.

But my module isn't loaded (wrong format).

Onyx kernel module signature:
Code:
vermagic:       2.6.35.3-998-ga1cd8a7 preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv7
My kernel module signature:
Code:
vermagic:       2.6.35.3-899-g9b1a262 mod_unload modversions ARMv5
So, as far as I understand, I need 3 things:
1. Turn on ARMv7
2. Turn on preempt
3. Manually correct 2.6.35.3-899-g9b1a262 -> 2.6.35.3-998-ga1cd8a7

right?

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 02-17-2012 at 07:56 AM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Code:
IIRC this is from a different BSP, L2.6.35_11.04.01_ER.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
If you want to mount the devpts filesystem, the kernel responds with something like "unknown filesystem type devpts" and devpts is not available as a module.
Too bad, and so senseless to keep it out of the kernel.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Onyx kernel module signature:
Code:
vermagic:       2.6.35.3-998-ga1cd8a7 preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv7
Code:
So, as far as I understand, I need 3 things:
1. Turn on ARMv7
2. Turn on preempt
3. Manually correct 2.6.35.3-899-g9b1a262 -> 2.6.35.3-998-ga1cd8a7
Out of curiosity (since I've been pondering compiling kernel modules in the future):
Are we talking about a plain vanilla 2.6.35.3 kernel tree here, or are there additional patches? (The http://opensource.onyx-international.com/ only contains an older 2.6.26)

Are all drivers in the mainline kernel, or are there binary modules that would stop someone from switching to a newer kernel?

Last, but not least: Does the current kernel support kexec?

Cheers!
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
anthrax63
anthrax63 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
Problem

FDD, сould you give me a kernel config file please?

I've enabled ARMv7, preempt and manually corrected local version, but i've got error "Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error
" and "no symbol version for module_layout" message in dmesg if i try to run it on onyx.

I think my problem is in config file, but i do not know which parameter should i set to solve problem...
anthrax63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

I'd be interested in the .config as well.

Moreover a request:
Could someone who's successfully compiled software for the M92 write a short summary/primer on using the SDK under https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox...re_development ?

I'm currently doing my first steps and am running into probably silly problems (currently cmake complains about not knowing ENABLE_QT when I try to compile a modified calculator version as a first test)

Maybe the steps to compile ones first program amongst those available in the std. repositories?
Even stuff that might be trivial to you would help newbies to the sdk

Cheers and (hoping ) thx in advance!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #23
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post

Moreover a request:
Could someone who's successfully compiled software for the M92 write a short summary/primer on using the SDK under https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox...re_development ?

I'm currently doing my first steps and am running into probably silly problems (currently cmake complains about not knowing ENABLE_QT when I try to compile a modified calculator version as a first test)

Maybe the steps to compile ones first program amongst those available in the std. repositories?
Even stuff that might be trivial to you would help newbies to the sdk

Cheers and (hoping ) thx in advance!
You are right, this would help a lot. Actually I also ran into many small difficulties and so I planned to document how to compile software for the M92. But afterwards, these difficulties seemed so silly to not being worth mentioned, so I abandoned my plans. Let me try to write something down and let us see if it works for you.
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #24
FDD
Connoisseur

Quote:
I handed out a copy of the one I used to a few users, but it still not quite ok. As soon as I get a fully working configuration I'll publish it and let you know.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
You are right, this would help a lot. Actually I also ran into many small difficulties and so I planned to document how to compile software for the M92. But afterwards, these difficulties seemed so silly to not being worth mentioned, so I abandoned my plans. Let me try to write something down and let us see if it works for you.
Cool! Thank you a lot

I'm currently trying to compile the SDK itself and run into the problem that ld complains about undefined references linking stardict_base for dictionary_test . It seems like libzip were missing (gzopen, gzread, gzclose missing). Did you run into this problem, too?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Cool! Thank you a lot

I'm currently trying to compile the SDK itself and run into the problem that ld complains about undefined references linking stardict_base for dictionary_test . It seems like libzip were missing (gzopen, gzread, gzclose missing). Did you run into this problem, too?
You need to compile the static libraries. I updated the information on the wiki.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
I handed out a copy of the one I used to a few users, but it still not quite ok. As soon as I get a fully working configuration I'll publish it and let you know.
That would be nice

A (maybe dumb) question w.r.t. the missing patches you mentioned in a previous post: Doesn't the GPL force them to release them?
Maybe it would make sense to ask them or add a respective item to the M92 wishlist?

@peterx: thx, I'll try
Old 02-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #28
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
You need to compile the static libraries. I updated the information on the wiki.
Actually, I don't think this is my problem:
rake -f Rakefile.imx508 build:x86:static <- ran fine
make <- there's no Makefile in the SDK top directory - so it naturally failed
rake -f Rakefile.imx508 build:arm:static <- produced exactly the same error I got before:

Code:
Linking CXX executable ../../../unittests/dictionary_test
CMakeFiles/dictionary_test.dir/qstardict_plugin/stardict_base.cpp.o: In function `stardict::WordlistIndex::load(QString const&, unsigned long, unsigned long)':
stardict_base.cpp:(.text+0x2350): undefined reference to `gzopen'
stardict_base.cpp:(.text+0x23e4): undefined reference to `gzread'
stardict_base.cpp:(.text+0x23f4): undefined reference to `gzclose'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [unittests/dictionary_test] Error 1
make[1]: *** [code/src/dictionary/CMakeFiles/dictionary_test.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
rake aborted!
Before running these, I unpacked the two toolchain archives to / (effectively placing the stuff into /opt/onyx),
set up the environment variables,
and checked out the booxsdk git.

The commands were executed in the top directory of the downloaded git repository.

Update: The missing library however seems to be libz... and is present in the /opt/onyx/... subdirectories... but apparently was not found
However, after starting over with a clean git checkout, the build:x86:static doesn't run through anymore, but complains about missing assembler instructions... I have a feeling that it's using the wrong toolchain right now... I guess I'd better call it a day

Last edited by kodomo; 02-27-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #29
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
A
rake -f Rakefile.imx508 build:arm:static <- produced exactly the same error I got before:

Code:
Linking CXX executable ../../../unittests/dictionary_test
CMakeFiles/dictionary_test.dir/qstardict_plugin/stardict_base.cpp.o: In function `stardict::WordlistIndex::load(QString const&, unsigned long, unsigned long)':
stardict_base.cpp:(.text+0x2350): undefined reference to `gzopen'
stardict_base.cpp:(.text+0x23e4): undefined reference to `gzread'
stardict_base.cpp:(.text+0x23f4): undefined reference to `gzclose'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [unittests/dictionary_test] Error 1
make[1]: *** [code/src/dictionary/CMakeFiles/dictionary_test.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
rake aborted!
libz was missing in code/src/dictionary/CMakeLists.txt (patch attached).
now build:arm:static runs fine... next thing will be to check what's wrong with build:x86:static

I'll update the wiki...
Attached Files
File Type: txt dict_test_arm_build.patch.txt (558 Bytes, 359 views)

Last edited by kodomo; 02-28-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #30
peterx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Actually, I don't think this is my problem:
rake -f Rakefile.imx508 build:x86:static <- ran fine
make <- there's no Makefile in the SDK top directory - so it naturally failed
rake -f Rakefile.imx508 build:arm:static <- produced exactly the same error
Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. You are right, rake calls make, so make is not necessary. After rake -f Rakefile.imx508 build:x86:static, the static x86 libraries should be in build/x86/libs. Copy them to /usr/local/lib and you can compile and run applications on your x86 computer.

It worked for me with this patch (I'll also send it to onyx):

diff --git a/code/src/dictionary/CMakeLists.txt b/code/src/dictionary/CMakeLists.txt
index ad2398a..326c928 100644
--- a/code/src/dictionary/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/code/src/dictionary/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -32,7 +32,7 @@ QT4_ADD_RESOURCES(dictionary_ui_res ${resource_srcs})

ADD_LIBRARY(dictionary ${SRCS} ${MOC_SRCS} ${dictionary_ui_res})
-TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(dictionary onyx_ui ${ADD_LIB})
+TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(dictionary onyx_ui ${ADD_LIB} z)

########### Unit Tests #####################
INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES(.)
@@ -40,6 +40,6 @@ ADD_EXECUTABLE(dictionary_test unittests/libdict_test.cpp ${SRCS} ${MOC_SRCS})
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(dictionary_test onyx_sys onyx_screen
onyx_ui dictionary tts sound
${QT_LIBRARIES}
- ${ADD_LIB})
+ ${ADD_LIB} z)
SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(dictionary_test PROPERTIES RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${TEST_OUTPUT_PATH})