Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
f00l
aka bad typist
f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis, iphones, android, old kindles, fire phoned
Which device changed your life or your reading habits? Which is the most FUN?

Hello to all.

When I read various reviews, each device has its pros and cons, and each its set of addicted owners.

-----

Kindle owners in particular seem to rave over their new companions, perhaps because they can also use it for instant gratifications with shopping and wikipedia?

Which device seems to be the most FUN?

-----

And which device changed your life, or changed the way you read? I have heard of new e-reader owners loving their devices in the way I adore my Ipods.

-----

I would love to hear some stories.

Thanks to all who find this q interesting,

f00l (and a fool of a typist)
f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Tonight we had some storms move and the sirens went off indicating a possible tornado in the area. I grabbed the cats and headed towards the basement, the Mrs grabbed her Kindle.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The Kindle has definitely changed the way I read. I rarely looked up words while reading before. I can usually figure them out from context and didn't want to interrupt the flow of my reading to get up and grab a dictionary or go to my computer. Now, I find myself looking up all sorts of stuff. Sometimes even when I know a word but I just get the feeling the author is using it a more nuanced way, I'll look it up just because it makes my reading experience that much richer. I have Wikipedia and the web for searching that occasional cultural or historical reference I miss or, like with words, am just curious to know more about. I can do all this without really breaking the rhythm of my reading or, heaven forbid, dislodging the cat.

Said cat also does not have to compete for lap real estate with the book. When I read larger books, I often had to prop them on a pillow on my lap. I also didn't end up reading as long because my hands would get tired or I would get sick of shifting into various positions trying to get comfortable when the book was lopsided (also not high on the list of cat-approved activities). She does try to nibble the corner of the Kindle from time to time, though. I think she still regards it as a bit of competition for my attention.

The instant gratification aspect of the wireless has more changed the way I shop for books than the way I read them. Since I can pretty much buy a book any time, I don't buy books until I've read the sample and I don't tend to buy a book unless I'm going to read it right now. The samples are pretty generous, typically at least a chapter. That's usually enough to ensure I will enjoy the rest of the book. It certainly is a better predictor than the page or two I might read at the bookstore. I also don't have the issue of buying a bunch of books in advance based on what I think I want to read for the next month and then having the fancy for them pass. I think I'm wasting a lot less money not buying in advance. (The only reason I'd do that now is if I'm traveling internationally and would not have internet access while away.) I've read more books in the half year I've had my Kindle but I've bought about the same or possibly even fewer. The win for Amazon in this, of course, is I bought all the books from them where at least half would've been from the local bookstore before. I don't have an independent bookstore here so I don't feel too bad about that.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I have never changed my reading habits as for me there are people who read and people who do not read. I myself I’m one who reads, a lot!!!!

Having said that, the most important gadget in helping complete the full change to read in digital format was the “Pocketpc”: it lets me read eBooks, read eDocuments, ear Audiobooks and ear any digital sound data I want, as it permits me to see any movie, tv series, or documentary I want.
Now, as I know I read (or see/ear any digital data) when that data is with me. This makes the Pocketpc phone edition the perfect companion: it’s always with me, so my data (business or fun data) is always available, and then I use it when ever it pleases me.

The most fun reading device: the Cybook reader!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've been very interested in reading e-books for quite a while. I had a Franklin e-bookman that I read quite a few books on years ago. In the past few years, I read books on my Palm PDA.

About a month ago, I got a Sony PRS505. The main reason I went with the 505 was because I was able to get it "free" by using rewards points from my Sony Visa. Although I was intrigued by the new e-ink devices, I was having a hard time justifying the cost--so when I realized I could get one for "free", I ordered one.

Now that I actually own an e-ink device, I can tell you that if something happened to it, I wouldn't hesitate at spending $300 to $400 on a new one. I love reading on it, and I love being able to take my whole library with me!

One thing I didn't realize until after I got my Sony was how much free content there is. I downloaded several of the classics from Sony (part of their free promotion), but I've ended up replacing a lot of them with books that have been uploaded to this site. In my opinion the books available at MobileReads have much better formatting than the Sony ones. I'm very appreciative of all the time and effort folks at this site have taken to make quality books.

I'm intrigued by the Kindle--and it's wireless connectivity. But, I like the looks of my Sony much better--and I think not being able to buy books instantly is good for me. I have little self control when it comes to impulse purchases, so I can see me spending far too much money on books this way.

Personally, I think that you'll be happy with any of the new e-ink displays.

Good luck to you!
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The device that has most affected my life is a DVR (TiVO). I am now able to watch the shows I want to watch, when I want to watch them, and skip the commercials.

Although, perhaps I sould list PC first, since for the last 18 years I have been earning my living programming them.

My cell phone, Sony PRS-500, Kindle are just nice to have gadgets rather than life changing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
f00l
aka bad typist
f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Kindles, Ipods, Tivos, PC's, Slingboxes, Xbox's, etc

Ok, we've gone a long way toward madness. Or something.

I don't own a gaming system. Yet. As for the Tivo, Slingbox, etc: I bought two Tivo's when they first appeared, still have them. (13 hours recording time, woo-hoo!) I used them constantly then, but now have the "I'll watch the DVD on my PC" attitude toward all movies and television. I never get around to watching them. Even The Sopranos can wait, if one's other fixations are calling.

Thus I'll been able to instead become addicted to Sirius, my Ipod, and my home network. Don't have an E-reader yet.

I don't know the names of my next-door neighbors. If a friend plans a party, everyone sort of sighs that they have to go, even tho they're happy to have left the house in the end. We've culturally taken a giant step toward.....what?

Is this good? Do we care? <<Not really, perhaps?>>
Old 05-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Which device seems to be the most FUN, changed my life, or changed the way I read? Without a doubt that would be the Apple iSlate which, because it's not just an ebook reader, is wifi enabled so I surf the internet, use Word and Adobe, keep my music on it, play games, do work, and also read most of the ebooks I want to without ever having to convert them. The 9" touchscreen has vibrant colors and is a high resolution display and I can read in the dark if I want. It has handwriting recognition so that I can make notes in one application while I read and work from several others. I can also plug in a keyboard when I need to type. The battery life may not be great and it's a bit warm but it's not hot like many tablets. Only one problem: IT DOESN'T EXIST (yet). :veryunhappyfrownyfaceandIhateyouSteveJobs:
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
I did read books on my laptop, desktop and Palm with the little pull-out screen. I never enjoyed reading books on the desktop because the sitting position is just not comfy for reading, and the "laptop" is pretty big, has a very short battery life, a noisy (comparatively) fan and gets rather hot. The Palm I was happy to ditch along with the job that required it, and I've never been a fan of multi-multi-purpose cell phones - I have an LG that I've had for about 4 years, and Verizon keeps calling me and asking "don't you want a NEW phone?"

My reader choices were between the Kindle and the Sony (Iliad's too expensive for my uses, hadn't heard much about the Cybook when I was looking), and since I'd just had a huge blow-out with Sony over a defective expensive laptop, I decided against Sony and went with the Kindle. I love reading from it, although I'd be the first to recognize that it has some, ummm, quirks, and I'm always disappointed when a book I want to read isn't available for it, enough that I dither over whether to purchase it in paper form or just wait and see when it'll be available for Kindle.

I've pretty much entirely stopped buying hardbacks (except a few cookbooks), and I've cut way back on my print purchases (except graphic novels, which are a pain to read on anything except paper). I'm definitely reading more - I've always been a reader, but I read even more now, enough so that I didn't bother to get cable/satellite or even attempt to hook up an antenna to see if the old TV could get any kind of signal.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Personally, the device that is most fun would have to be a tie between My PDA Phone and my Sony PRS 500.

The Phone allowed me to always have a few books in my pocket (Who goes out without a phone), so that whenever I had some dead time, I could get some reading in. And while I did continue carrying books in my backpack, having the phone meant that I was never without distraction

The Sony changed that even further, that I no longer needed to carry any books with me. Also while I might have used my PDA when I didn't have other options, I would still prefer a Proper book or my laptop before choosing to read on it, if possible.
With the arrival of the PRS 500, I started to prefer it to all other options.

I actually did't realise how much I liked it until I gave it away, and so finally bit the bullet to order a Cybook.

After all as I haven't got it yet, I cant really say it is the most Fun......Yet
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
My PRS-505 didn't really change the way that I read but it did change what I read. I never read ebooks before buying my reader. Now I've got this whole world of free books and short stories to download and try. It sure beats the selection available at the local library.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Each of us will, most likely, feel that our own choice is the right one and each of us is right. What is fun for one may be torture for the next. My e-ink device (my first and only one so far) is a Sony. I like it. If not a Sony then most likely a CyBook Gen3. I borrowed a Kindle for about an hour from a friend and found it awkward. To be fair, that is the same complaint she voiced about my Sony. It is all a matter of what you are comfortable with and what you have used (for a period of time.) An example of this is in digital cameras. After years of rangefinder and SLR film cameras I am most comfortable cameras that have a viewport rather than simply an LCD screen. Its all a matter of taste.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Which device seems to be the most FUN, changed my life, or changed the way I read? Without a doubt that would be the Apple iSlate which, because it's not just an ebook reader, is wifi enabled so I surf the internet, use Word and Adobe, keep my music on it, play games, do work, and also read most of the ebooks I want to without ever having to convert them. The 9" touchscreen has vibrant colors and is a high resolution display and I can read in the dark if I want. It has handwriting recognition so that I can make notes in one application while I read and work from several others. I can also plug in a keyboard when I need to type. The battery life may not be great and it's a bit warm but it's not hot like many tablets. Only one problem: IT DOESN'T EXIST (yet). :veryunhappyfrownyfaceandIhateyouSteveJobs:
I guess we know what you're crossing your fingers for on June 9th! Me, too, although I think it's a longshot .

Tracey
(I want an iPony!)
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
f00l
aka bad typist

the long rumored iSlate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I was about to go to Apple.com to take a look. I guess you must be one of the lucky alpha testers. :>
Old 05-27-2008, 02:17 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The invention of paper changed how I read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote