Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Just Brilliant

Tried out feedbooks.com and their iNewsStand app last night and I'm totally blown away. This is what I'd dreamed newspaper reading on an e-reader could be. I knew when I got my Iliad a few weeks ago that I wanted to be able to read newspapers on it, but was initially very discouraged. There were lots of papers on-line but most needed a constant internet connection to read them and weren't formatted very well for reading in a small device web browser. The only downloadable newspaper I could find was the Guardian pdf edition. Then I figured out Mobipockets RS feeds and could download a newspaper feed to MobiPockets Reader on my PC and then download it wirelessly from there to my Iliad. Now I was getting somewhere. Still cumbersome though with the PC step and having to download multiple feeds to get all the news items I wanted. Then I came across feedbooks.com and iNewsStand. What a truly brilliant solution. I can pull all the RS news and magazine feeds I want together into my own personal newspaper at feedbooks.com. Then I can download that newspaper in pdf form (customized to the Iliad screen size no less) directly to my Iliad via wi-fi. Once it's on there I can click a single button to update it (via wi-fi) to the latest feeds content.
Hadrien, can't thank you enough for the feedbooks site and the iNewsStand app. And thank you AdamB for porting the iNewsStand app to the Iliad.
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
iNewsStand (feedbooks) not so brilliant after all

Unfortunately my iNewsstand only worked for downloading custom newspapers and feeds direct to my Iliad for a few weeks. It then suddenly started asking for my login id and password, although it had never done this since the first access. Entering my feedbooks login id and password didn't work. Tried the login id and password on the feedbooks site from my PC and it worked fine. Another Iliad user has confirmed that this is happening on his Iliad also, so it seems something on the web site has been changed, making direct access to the newspapers impossible. I can still access the books through iNewsStand just fine as this doesn't require a login. I have attempted to contact feedbooks hoping that they could fix this, but have received no reply to my e-mails. So now I am back to downloading to my PC and transferring from there to my Iliad which is rather tedious and no better than the Mobipocket option.
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert