Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The new Barnes & Noble Reader may have Whispernet [Rumor]

From Dealerscope:

Quote:
The bookstore chain, the nation's largest, had been negotiating with AT&T to be its wireless partner, but instead is going with Sprint after the AT&T talks broke down. Sprint is also the Kindle's wireless provider.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I hope it isn't true, but even if it is, I'd consider buying a B&N ebook device IF -- and that's a big IF -- it is open (relatively speaking) rather than closed. If it is simply a B&N version of the Kindle and essentially a closed device, I'll pass, even though I spend a lot of money at B&N buying pbooks and have started buying at Fictionwise.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I hope it isn't true, but even if it is, I'd consider buying a B&N ebook device IF -- and that's a big IF -- it is open (relatively speaking) rather than closed. If it is simply a B&N version of the Kindle and essentially a closed device, I'll pass, even though I spend a lot of money at B&N buying pbooks and have started buying at Fictionwise.
If a device supports *any* form of DRM, can you really say that it is open? And, is there any device that supports more than one DRMed format?

With that asked, I come to the concern that unless a new device supports DRM it's not going to offer you many current-release books as long as the publishers insist on "protecting" their books with DRM.

Odds are that Barnes & Noble will bring out a device that uses eReader as its primary format -- given that B&N bought Fictionwise a short while ago.

I hear a lot of "the Kindle and essentially a closed device" and just shudder. I own both a Kindle and a Sony reader. In my opinion, the Sony is much more *closed* than the Kindle. I was shopping in the Sony online store last night and wound up only picking up the free books (which I already have for my Kindle), because I just couldn't justify getting books that are locked to the device. Although I haven't needed to do so, I'm aware that I could liberate the majority of my Kindle books using the deDRM programs that are floating around.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
With no real data as yet, all we can do is speculate on what may be on the device and what formats may be supported. For all we know B&N could build an incompatible format on top of the eReader design, as Amazon did with Mobi. What a sad day that would be.

Until we see such a thing, we can only go by what the companies involved have said in the past, which for Fictinowise has been pretty promising. Fictionwise has announced that they would be converting to ePub as their base format for eReader, and wrapping it in eReader DRM when the publishers require it. Since a good portion of their content is unprotected, and the eReader software has always supported unencrypted files, I would expect that any eReader-branded hardware would read ePub as at least one open format.

Again, this is only speculation until we see some real information. Caveat emptor.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
And, is there any device that supports more than one DRMed format?
Since you did not narrow this specifically to ebook devices, my first reaction was that most of the devices that can be used for reading are multi-function (PDAs, cellphones, computers) and have a few different options for supported DRM schemes.

On ebook-specific hardware, I was under the impression that Sony readers supported both the Sony DRM and the Adobe DRM used in Digital Editions. Is that not true?

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
Since you did not narrow this specifically to ebook devices, my first reaction was that most of the devices that can be used for reading are multi-function (PDAs, cellphones, computers) and have a few different options for supported DRM schemes.

On ebook-specific hardware, I was under the impression that Sony readers supported both the Sony DRM and the Adobe DRM used in Digital Editions. Is that not true?

The Bandit
That's true. Plus there are tools that let you use other DRMed formats (like MS LIT) on the Sony Reader as well.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I hope this is not true because it would once again, as the Kindle did, lock out non-Americans
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I hope this is not true because it would once again, as the Kindle did, lock out non-Americans
thats not true really! what locks the kindle out for non americans is the fact that you cant buy the books unless you have an american CC and Address.

The kindle can be connnected via USB just as I do my Sony. If I could buy books for the Kindle easily in the UK id nuy a Kindle(at least for my parents)
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
thats not true really! what locks the kindle out for non americans is the fact that you cant buy the books unless you have an american CC and Address.

The kindle can be connnected via USB just as I do my Sony. If I could buy books for the Kindle easily in the UK id nuy a Kindle(at least for my parents)
Yep. And ebook rights are often not international. That's why stores tend to try to ascertain where you live. Sometimes they're hard-nosed about it, like Amazon. Sometimes they just ask you and don't do anything to check if you're lying. Amazon would be a big target for lawsuits on this matter. I would imagine B&N will be similarly restrictive for the same reason.

I hear rumors here and there that Amazon is trying to build the ebook library in some EU countries so they can get the critical mass to start a Kindle venture there. I would imagine if they do, B&N would have access to most of those titles as well and would likely also want to pick up customers. Sadly, ebook stores can't unilaterally decide who they get to sell to. If they could, I doubt they'd be turning down any customers.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
If a device supports *any* form of DRM, can you really say that it is open? And, is there any device that supports more than one DRMed format?
No device that supports DRM is fully open (which is why I said "relatively") but the Sony is currently more open than the Kindle because it supports ePub and Adobe DRM as well as Sony's own DRM. Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had said that I won't now buy a device that doesn't support ePub.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
"Vote" with Your Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Dear rhadin:

I think we can all learn from this. IF you support the concept of freedom of choice and buying books where you want to buy books... then Fictionwise is a great start. Much to Fictionwise's credit, when they looked for a suitor they held to their principles and made sure that B&N allows them to continue with Open Format.

It is hard to tell what B&N will do. I have heard absolutely NOTHING from my friends at Fictionwise or B&N that they plan to release a device of their own. They WILL, later this year, do a website that sells books. That is definite!

By the way... both AT&T and Horizon ARE planning to release devices and they will follow the Amazon model of "wanna buy a book? you have 100 choices! All of them is us".

Astak's EZ Reader and Mentor lines remain OPEN and you can buy eBooks from anywhere.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
And, is there any device that supports more than one DRMed format?
Um... yes and you own one!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
If the brick and mortar stores started selling both ebook readers AND ebooks, I would be thrilled. I just hope they do it in a way that makes them competitive with the eWorld. I still like to frequent the stores often and want to keep them in business. (I can stop buying magazines and cookbooks just to buy something ).

I don't mind the concept of drm itself. I accept it as a necessary (even if ineffective) evil to get more publishers on board. However, I am getting frustrated with all the formats. Tonight I was thrilled to find the BPL suddenly had more new books than I'd ever seen offered. Then I was became equally unhappy when I realized they were all ePub only (before they offered just mobi and pdf)

I am tired of converting just to get things on my reader because it doesn't support a certain format. I bought my Kindle to read and spend less time on the computer

I came very closed to buying a used Sony to supplement my Kindle tonight There are times when I wonder if paper is just easier
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just wanted to make a pedantic comment that "whispernet" is a trademark of Amazon... so B&N can't have it. I doubt they would license that from Amazon.

They may have a device with Wireless though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I just wanted to make a pedantic comment that "whispernet" is a trademark of Amazon... so B&N can't have it. I doubt they would license that from Amazon.

They may have a device with Wireless though.

BOb

Oh, I'm sure you're correct but using the term "Whispernet" is eye catching () and gives a people a better of what type of wireless it might be (not just wi-fi).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote