Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #181
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast
daniel_hokkaido began at the beginning.

Device: sonyprs 505, pocketbook pro 603
hi. i searched this thread but found no link for a .dic file for an english-english dictionary. The original one i got on my 603 has disappeared. Maybe since i updated last. I just realized now. Any help would be great.
daniel_hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #182
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac View Post
I've had my 360 for months now and I'm in the same boat. I keep coming back to this post, reading through all the pages, trying to figure out how to switch the default Eng-Rus translator to an English dictionary. I've downloaded the converter and dictionary files from the PB website multiple times with no success at actually getting an English dictionary, and end up deleting everything from my computer. I obviously am also a user without technical knowledge!
Overall, however, owning the 360 has, for me, been a very frustrating experience.
1. Place the file with the dictionary to X:\system\dictionaries\ directory on your PocketBook.
X: is drive letter that will appear on your PC when you connect your reader to PC. It can be D, E, F ... depending on number of disks, CD, DVD drives and USB memory sticks connected to your PC.

2. In book, press OK. You get menu.
Now go to the lower left corner, select dictionary.

3. A dictionary window appears and there is word highlighted on page. Press Down, Up, Left. Right to select word.

4. Press OK. Now you are in dictionary menu. When you press Up and Down now, you scroll the dictionary entry, when you press Left, Right you scroll in icon menu at the top of the dictionary window.

5. So, press Right until you are on icon that is in the right edge of menu. Now use Up, Down to select one of installed dictionaries.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #183
mrsmac
mrsmac began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
1) There are many dictionaries in .dic format that you can download. No need to convert one, especially English dictionaries ...
Thanks for offering to help, I do appreciate it. The only English dictionary I could find that was in .dic format was at winedt.org. I downloaded the DIC format twice -- it came through both times as a text file. I have put in many different search terms and looked at many places, but can't find one that says it is the .dic format for an English dictionary.

I'll try tomorrow with the other suggestion posted. Thanks again.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #184
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Thanks for offering to help, I do appreciate it. The only English dictionary I could find that was in .dic format was at winedt.org. I downloaded the DIC format twice -- it came through both times as a text file. I have put in many different search terms and looked at many places, but can't find one that says it is the .dic format for an English dictionary.

PocketBook needs a special kind of .dic file.
.dic file must be created specifically for PocketBook (and is even different for different models!) and the process non-trivial. There is application for Windows that lets you create PocketBook dictionary format from stardict dictionaries. For non-English dictionaries you have to write several files, such as "morphems" list, that are very poorly documented. In Russian.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #185
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
PocketBook needs a special kind of .dic file.
.dic file must be created specifically for PocketBook (and is even different for different models!) and the process non-trivial. There is application for Windows that lets you create PocketBook dictionary format from stardict dictionaries. For non-English dictionaries you have to write several files, such as "morphems" list, that are very poorly documented. In Russian.
Guess I was lucky because I found links for English and Russian dictionaries on the Russian website. They all work well for PB for sure. I think dictionaries in any language from that site work directly on PB. Unfortunately, the Chinese dictionaries I found elsewhere don't work and I don't know how to write the other two files needed.

Last edited by jshzh; 05-24-2011 at 10:55 AM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #186
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:

The "tips" post has a link, I believe, but I don't know what are in that package. I learned not to give detailed information on where to get "stuff" even in private message -- you don't know how people will react. I don't care being called a "criminal" but I like a little peace :-). After all, things are not hard to find on the internet if you try. Good luck.

Last edited by jshzh; 05-24-2011 at 11:29 AM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #187
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
I learned not to give detailed information on where to get "stuff" even in private message -- you don't know how people will react. I don't care being called a "criminal" but I like a little peace :-). After all, things are not hard to find on the internet if you try. Good luck.
I believe that the time for this kind of "volunteer copyright Gestapo" is basically slowly passing and that this type of attitude is headed for the proverbial trash heaps of history. The so-called "content provider" industry has been defeated technologically and an increasing number of people realize that this talk of "piracy" is utter nonsense and, frankly, corporate propaganda. In fact, so-called "pirate parties" are growing everywhere (I even joined the Russian one recently ).

Sure, some stuck up and self-righteous folks will preach fire and brimstone, but since ALL of them have some music, software, books or art acquired without proper authorization from the putative "owner" you can easily dismiss them for the hypocrites they are.

Now, I am not encouraging you to post links here as this would give some over-zealous mods a good reason to censor your post or even ban you, but I don't believe that they will act against a forumite only for expressing an opinion, even if the mods believe that this is a mistaken opinion. So let's joyfully wave the flag of "piracy" in the outraged faces of the doubleplusgoodthinkers and show them that we are not intimidated by them or the corporations who brainwashed them

Cheers!

Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #188
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:

if you look at this post (in this very thread) there is a link to a collection of dictionaries that you can turn into dic format. But you can get more already in .dic format following the links in this message (I guess it is easier to follow if you read the entire thread)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #189
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hokkaido View Post
hi. i searched this thread but found no link for a .dic file for an english-english dictionary. The original one i got on my 603 has disappeared. Maybe since i updated last. I just realized now. Any help would be great.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=146
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #190
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast

thanks very much!!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #191
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast

Actually, I have another interesting query. Despite the very nice addition of 30+ dictionaries by pocketbook, few people need them all. I for one only use English, French and Russian ones. I know you can use the stylus to fast browse them by clicking on the blank borders on the dictionary list, but I have had the habit of erasing the others i dont need in settings/maintenance/dictionary.
Yet each new fw update activates them all again.

Is there a quicker way than manually deactivating each dictionary every time on the device gui? Can one do it via the system file while pb603 is plugged into your pc?

Regards to all the kind help. Plus thanks again for the english dicto Preem!
Daniel
Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #192
epavleis
epavleis began at the beginning.

Device: bebook neo pb 603
Question Dic files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios2247 View Post
Thanks mate. I tried it on my 902 and worked like a charm. Ευχαριστώ πολύ!
Do Dic files work the same with Bebook neo ? Ευχαριστώ !
epavleis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #193
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
It seems they use native .dict format, so I'd say it's a no.
http://mybebook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2148
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #194
GinaA
GinaA began at the beginning.

Device: PB360+
Hi, does anyone can tell me how to get Oxford or Miriam-Webster dictionary for PB360?
GinaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #195
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaA View Post
Hi, does anyone can tell me how to get Oxford or Miriam-Webster dictionary for PB360?
Try this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=17
Not sure if the d/l still works.

Google translate is your friend; plenty of dics round those parts, many in dsl and xpdf format that can be converted for PB use.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote