Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
rkr1410
rkr1410 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Any way to set your own thumbnail for a collection on Paperwhite?

Hail and well met,

Either my Google Fu is much weaker than I thought, or no-one has asked the question yet. So, here it goes:

Is there any way to set my own image as a thumbnail for a collection?
The book covers look great on Paperwhite, collection 'covers' not so much.
The effect being I keep 7-book sagas non-tagged.

My Paperwhite is jailbroken (I only use the screensaver hack).
rkr1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
toddmp
toddmp doesn't littertoddmp doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW
I agree. I would love to sort by collection but absolutely hate seeing the same icon for each collection.
toddmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I agree, alternatively I wish it could be like the Kobo and have collections as List view with the contents within as Covers - obviously without manually switching each time.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i agree with this as well. the front page of my kindle is all collections which is so boring and i'd love to be able to choose my own image to represent them. maybe amazon could put this in a new update if we let them know we would like it
heatherlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Ganfas
Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ganfas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
+1 in the both ideas, would be great to have list view in main page and comer view inside collections.

Some cover in the collections would be nice to.
Ganfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I have been wanting this since I first turned on my PW. Those collections covers are mad ugly. I plan on combining all my series into one book each, only so I don't have to look at the collections graphics.

Last edited by xendula; 02-23-2013 at 09:45 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I have been wanting this since I first turned on my PW. Those collections covers are mad ugly.
I agree! They're so ugly that I stopped using collections.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I agree! They're so ugly that I stopped using collections.
I agree. They're so ugly I disabled Cover View. I also don't like the Personal banner, and don't fancy reconverting everything that still says Personal.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I agree. They're so ugly I disabled Cover View. I also don't like the Personal banner, and don't fancy reconverting everything that still says Personal.
I love cover view and want to use it so I had to get rid of collections, unfortunately. Thankfully I don't have the personal banner on any of mine anymore because that used to drive me nuts too. Come on, Amazon, give us more control over the settings.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How do you remove the personal tag?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmp View Post
I agree. I would love to sort by collection but absolutely hate seeing the same icon for each collection.
The simple solution is to use list view, rather than cover view. It's more informative, and shows you more items.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I too would prefer to be able to use my own thumbnail for collections, the one picked by Amazon is just so bland.

Also a bit of a shame that we can't mix view modes- I'd quite like to have my home page with collections in cover view but to have the books displayed in list view when I open a collection.

I can't get why Amazon finds it so difficult to understand that giving users options is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The simple solution is to use list view, rather than cover view. It's more informative, and shows you more items.
Except that I have 10 collections, which on the K3 fitted nicely on one page, but on the PW even in list view you only get 8 items displayed per page so now my collections are over 2 pages anyway regardless of whether I use list or cover view - and for collections, I do prefer cover view (and even more so if could not use their thumbnail )

Last edited by Yolina; 02-24-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
In Calibre you can convert a mobi book and change the PDOC tag to something else. I usually change it to EBOK. On azw3, I think, you need to disable sharing when converting. Not sure though, I never use azw3 if I can help it since JBPatch won't hyphenate them.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
I was using the EBOK tag for awhile, but then it stopped working for me for some reason. Then someone told me all I needed to do to no longer see the personal tag was upgrade to the latest version of Calibre and surprisingly that worked for me. I'm not using anything in the Personal Doc Tag box now.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #15
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Oh my gosh, that's brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I plan on combining all my series into one book each, only so I don't have to look at the collections graphics.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote