Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Error -3 message

I performed a search hoping to find an answer for my issue, but was not able locate a previous thread for this error.

On occasion while attempting to use the E-book viewer in calibre to look over an epub I am presented with an error -3 message and do not understand exactly what is occurring to cause the epub to become unviewable in Calibre and unable to be opened for editing in Sigil.

Any assistance would be appreciated as I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Here is the message detail I am presented with currently.

calibre, version 0.8.47
ERROR: Could not open ebook: Error -3 while decompressing: invalid distance too far back

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 63, in run
File "threading.py", line 483, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator.py", line 207, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 208, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\epub_in put.py", line 141, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\zipfile.py", line 1087, in extractall
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\zipfile.py", line 1071, in extract
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\zipfile.py", line 1140, in _extract_member
File "shutil.py", line 48, in copyfileobj
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\zipfile.py", line 607, in read
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\zipfile.py", line 659, in read1
error: Error -3 while decompressing: invalid distance too far back
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates the file is corrupted, literally. It cannot even be unzipped.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
mcdemon
mcdemon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Same Error

Hi,

I am getting the same error on all of my epub books; some of which I was able to successfully load and read on my nook just a few days ago. I am able to read them from the device in Calibre but as soon as I disconnect the device, they do not show up in my documents and after plugging the device back in and attempting to read from the device in Calibre again, this error appears for all of my files. I have run all of my books through the conversion (epub to epub) just in case there was some corruption but the error remains. Even copying PDF files to the Nook results in failure although I can read the first few pages, the remainder of the content is blank. I can't believe that all 180+ of my books have spontaneously corrupted. Have you any suggestions?

Thanks
mcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your device storage is failing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
mcdemon

Thanks for the response. What is interesting is that I can copy and play music files without issue. The issue seems to be isolated to books alone. Is there any way to reformat the nook other than resetting to factory defaults? I tried reapplying the software update but I get an "Invalid Update Error"
Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdemon View Post
Thanks for the response. What is interesting is that I can copy and play music files without issue. The issue seems to be isolated to books alone. Is there any way to reformat the nook other than resetting to factory defaults? I tried reapplying the software update but I get an "Invalid Update Error"
If the Nook appears as a drive in Windows, you could run the Windows disk drive: 'Error Checking' on that drive and see if it finds (and can correct) filesystem errors. Note: if they come back and you have been practicing Safe Drive Removal, get that Nook repaired/replaced. The internal Flash Memory is failing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
mcdemon

Fixed

OK. So error checking came up with nothing. I tried reformatting the internal storage using the default settings Fat32 and allocation size of 4096. The process failed on 4096, 2048 & 1024. I fianlly dropped the allocation size to 512, the reformat was successful and I am reading from the nook like a champ. I'm not sure of the cause but glad I found the fix. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdemon View Post
OK. So error checking came up with nothing. I tried reformatting the internal storage using the default settings Fat32 and allocation size of 4096. The process failed on 4096, 2048 & 1024. I fianlly dropped the allocation size to 512, the reformat was successful and I am reading from the nook like a champ. I'm not sure of the cause but glad I found the fix. Thanks for the help.
It may be that the Nook has a 'hard' drive buffer size. Usually, Windows format recommends the allocation size based upon the partition size.
4096 sounds huge (and wasteful) for FAT32 e-book usage
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote