Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Anyway, when you say 'create a directory' is that the same as creating a folder on the C drive?

Also, of all the actions available listed in the Zip window, none of them are labeled 'Unzip'. Is this what Open means?
Um... sorry I'm a little old school. Directory and Folder are in fact the same thing... MS Just decided to change the name when Windows came out since the icon looks like a little folder.

So yes, create a "folder" on the c drive. Drag all the files from the ZIP to this folder.

I see you basically got the answer to this already. But you will still need to do the above because you will need to run the program from a command line... and that doesn't support running an exe still in the zip file. (Actually a ZIP is a file which contains many files, usually compressed. Windows shows it as a "folder" and allows you too look at the contents.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Dennis. I successfully placed hook.dll into System 32 and it did extract a key.

Next step? Do I double click LitConverter.exe?
You need to run clit.exe from a command window. If you run it, it will give directions... you want to "downconvert" your lit file.

BOb
Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Anyway, when you say 'create a directory' is that the same as creating a folder on the C drive?
Yes. A folder is another name for a directory.

Windows uses a tree structure to organize files. The top level of your C: deive is called the "root" directory. Other directories branch off of that, and directories can contain directories. Windows itself lives under C:\Windows and directories beneath it. Your programs mostly live in C:\Program Files and directories below that. Your My Documents folder probably lives in C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\My Documents\, where <userid> id the user name you use to log onto Windows. The stuff on your desktop is a folder as well, living in C:\C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Desktop. Some things live in "hidden" directories which aren't shown by default in Windows Explorer.

Quote:
Also, of all the actions available listed in the Zip window, none of them are labeled 'Unzip'. Is this what Open means?
Yes, it is.

Quote:
Sorry to be so dimwitted. Am new to Zip
Zip is a standard. The original Zip program was a DOS program called PKZip, developed by the late Phil Katz of PKWare. Phil was creating a replacement for the then dominant archive utility called ARC, which would be faster, provide greater compression, and have more features. Phil explicitly dedicated the format used for Zip files to the public domain, and a number of developers have created programs to create and extract Zip archives. Microsoft includes the ability to extract the contents of Zip files in XP/Vista, calling it Zip folders.

There are an assortment of other archive types around. One popular in Europe is an archive format called RAR, created by a Russian developer named Eugene Rorshal. RAR files offer slightly better compression and special features intended for multimedia. The are popular in binary newsgroups, because they contain support for multi-part archives, and have enhanced recovery information, making it more likely that you can use a RAR file originally delivered in multiple posts to a binary newsgroup if pieces got damaged or never made it to your news server.

I don't use Zip Folders in Windows. I prefer an actual archive utility. I'm partial to a free, open source archiver called 7-Zip. 7-Zip can create files in its own 7z format, as well as Zip, Gzip, and TAR files (the latter widely used on Unix/Linux). It can extract from a number of archive formats, including 7z, Zip, Gzip, TAR, RAR, CAB, ARJ, and LZH files. Go to http://www.7zip.org for info and downloads.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:56 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can run "LitConverter", yes. It's a Windows graphical "shell" which is perhaps a little easier to use than the command-line "clit" tool. It's what I generally use myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #20
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I double click LitConverter.exe and it opens the MyLibrary folder in MyDocuments. I select the book I want to convert and it then opens my file structure. I created a folder in MyDocuments called MyConverts and select this. Then a wimndow opens titled 'Enter Folder Name'. I type in MyConverts, click the Ok button and get the following error message, "This path does not exist" and closes. Looks like Microsoft Reader flashes on for a second.

Would appreciate any advice. And Karmas to all of you for being so patient with my fumbling along here.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #21
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hold on ! I actually got it to work using the GUI wrapper and successfully converetd a book I read years ago on my iPaq and moved it to my Sony.

Thanks again for all the help. And patience!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hold on ! I actually got it to work using the GUI wrapper and successfully converetd a book I read years ago on my iPaq and moved it to my Sony.
YEA!

I prefer the command line, but whatever works for ya.

I know how you feel. I just got a new iMac for combined birthday/fathersday gift and I feel like a n00b using it. I've got alot to learn. That's why I help with what I know... hopping others will help me when I need help on something.

BOb
Old 06-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once you remove the DRM, lit2lrf will work very well to convert it to a very readable LRF.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote