Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
chichichobits
chichichobits began at the beginning.

Device: none
DIY e-reader cover inquiry

Hi I plan on purchasing an e-reader in the next couple of months. I'm trying to hold out for the Nook 2 (Project Encore) or Kindle 3 after I see reviews on it via youtube. I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to spend close to $100 on these covers---I would rather buy another wifi e-reader for a family member. I put my thinking cap on and decided to go ahead with a DIY project---problem is I don't know where to begin :::chuckle, chuckle::: I bought a notebook similiar to this where the dimensions 6x8 with an elastic band holding it closed.

I want the cover to look like an actual book but I don't know how I should go about gutting the pages or what kind of lining to use. Should I insulate with cotton balls Yeah I really don't know where to go with this but the idea itself is pretty ingenious but yeah I need Does anyone know of people using notebooks or journals as a cover for their Kindle or Nook and so forth?

Thanks so much this is my first post---hopefully not my last.

Last edited by chichichobits; 08-14-2010 at 02:57 PM.
chichichobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I know some people DT (Did Themselves ) covers with paper organizers and the like. Here you have an example:

http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/...zador-personal
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
kmack
kmack has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, EBW-1150
I've done a few DIY's for Nooks so the Kindle shouldn't be too difficult.

Cruise the dollar bins at the used book stores for books that have the proper dimensions and carefully strip the pages out. If you look at the construction of a hardback or notebook, you will see how they are put together and you can usually get all of the pages out and leave the spine and covers intact.

Felt or watercolor paper will make a good liner, use some good contact cement or rubber cement for the liner.

I've attached the device either with some DIY brass hangers or simple loops of elastic. If you want to get fancy you can use some rivets from Lee Valley. to attach the elastic or hangers. I normally just cut slots into the liner and glue the elastic under the liner.
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I know some people DT (Did Themselves ) covers with paper organizers and the like. Here you have an example:

He removed the rivets the hard way. Just use a drill bit to cut away the expanded portion of the rivet. Must faster with less chance of messing up something else.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
I've done something similar in the past, with my Sony 505 (even used one of the types of journals you have pictured).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...978#post310978

Of course mine wasn't designed as a case to keep the reader in as I was actually reading. It was more of a protective shell. Worked very well though, kept my Sony safe & sound even though it was tossed in my backpack everyday. Ironically, a couple weeks after I started using a case I "paid" for, I dropped my Sony and broke it =( I always wondered if it would have survived the drop if it had still been in my homemade case.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
chichichobits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post

I don't speak espanol but it came out real nice after removing the 3 rings and shaved down the metal pegs in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
I've done a few DIY's for Nooks so the Kindle shouldn't be too difficult.

Cruise the dollar bins at the used book stores for books that have the proper dimensions and carefully strip the pages out. If you look at the construction of a hardback or notebook, you will see how they are put together and you can usually get all of the pages out and leave the spine and covers intact.

Felt or watercolor paper will make a good liner, use some good contact cement or rubber cement for the liner.

I've attached the device either with some DIY brass hangers or simple loops of elastic. If you want to get fancy you can use some rivets from Lee Valley. to attach the elastic or hangers. I normally just cut slots into the liner and glue the elastic under the liner.
I was going to use clear plastic vinyl on top of each other instead of the felt because I kind of like the pattern inside. As far as removing the paper I still can't tell how to get it out without damaging the spine I might have to take photos when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
I've done something similar in the past, with my Sony 505 (even used one of the types of journals you have pictured).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...978#post310978

Of course mine wasn't designed as a case to keep the reader in as I was actually reading. It was more of a protective shell. Worked very well though, kept my Sony safe & sound even though it was tossed in my backpack everyday. Ironically, a couple weeks after I started using a case I "paid" for, I dropped my Sony and broke it =( I always wondered if it would have survived the drop if it had still been in my homemade case.
Wow that was close to perfect. I like it way better than the silicone case. I like how you use the underside of the mouse pad to hold it in place. It looks really good it's crazy how the sony broke when you started using the bought case vs the made case.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
over on the kindle section there was someone who did their own and posted quite a few pictures and step by step instructions
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
chichichobits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
over on the kindle section there was someone who did their own and posted quite a few pictures and step by step instructions
Thanks I'll try to find it
Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
chichichobits

Well I found the thread but I wanted to put fabric on the inside of the book that I have not sure if I could sew through it since it's a thin hardcover. Maybe I would glue it I don't know.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichichobits View Post
Well I found the thread but I wanted to put fabric on the inside of the book that I have not sure if I could sew through it since it's a thin hardcover. Maybe I would glue it I don't know.
So? Where is the thread?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote