Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
philosopherdog
philosopherdog began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Converting a web page to epub with TOC

What's the simplest way to convert a web page to epub with a table of contents? I could use a simple tutorial. Here's the webpage http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/t...tartsmall.html . Do I save it from the source view and strip out everything that's not needed? Then what do I do? I'd like each section title to show up as a TOC that so that I can just jump to those sections just as the web page shows it. I'm a newbie to Caliber but do know a bit of basic html. Thanx.
philosopherdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi philosopherdog, Welcome to the forum.

I've had a quick look at your webpage. The html seems fairly simple.

Here's a step-by-step which worked for me - I use the Firefox browser:-
  1. Open webpage. Right-click within the page and select 'Save Page As...' Point at your output directory and make sure to choose 'Save as type:Web page, complete' so that any images/stylesheets are also saved.

2. Drag the saved html file into Calibre and edit metadata (Author, Title, Comments etc)

3. Convert from ZIP to EPUB with your preferred settings in [Look & Feel].
    In [Structure Detection] set 'Detect chapters at' to //h:h1
    In [Table of Contents] set 'Level 1 TOC' to //h:h1
    Then do the convert.

4. View the resulting epub in the Calibre viewer and press the TOC button (7th from top in the sidebar). Voila - a nice single-level TOC down the left-hand side.

Please note that these settings are relevant for this particular web page as it uses <h1>...</h1> to mark its chapters. For a different webpage you would need to examine the html file to see how new chapters have been marked up.

Caveat - I have never owned or used an Apple device so I don't know whether there are extra special considerations.

Good luck
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosopherdog View Post
What's the simplest way to convert a web page to epub with a table of contents?
I don't use Calibre's web2disk, but you may find it helpful to grab the page. See here.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
philosopherdog

jackie_w: Thanx so much for the instructions. I'll give that a shot. Much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
philosopherdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I don't use Calibre's web2disk, but you may find it helpful to grab the page. See here.
I'm not sure I understand how this works exactly.
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosopherdog View Post
I'm not sure I understand how this works exactly.
I don't use it, but I believe it just grabs a web page and saves it to disk as html. It's similar to saving a page to disk from your browser, but it has more options so it can pull some content, skip other content and follow links to other pages and grab them. All that I know is at the link I posted.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote