Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
xchaotic
xchaotic began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505, kindle intl.
Anyone reading anything about travel?

Hi.

A friend of mine is considering a 6 month road trip, to pack light, he thinks of getting a Kindle instead of paper books.

Have any of you actually tried something like that - using Kindle or another ereader for helping with your travel?

I suppose with the built-in wi-fi one could even buy books on the go and plan the trip accordingly...

If you tried something like that, please do let me know.
xchaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
hell...any ereader will greatly increase the amount of literature he can bring along and greatly decrease his boredom. I say go for it. I only ever owned one reader so I am not the best authority to claim which is the best (though I do love my PRS 600). Even without wireless he can predownload enough literature to last him well over six months.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
If he was considering packing books, he could toss in an Asus netbook with the K2 and cover all his bases (tons of free wifi around, these days). Or, rely on finding friendly libraries (not all let those out of town use them) for PC access and get news there, along with ability to get books via USB (maybe; again, depends on the library), even if you buy a different company's reader.

If carrying a reader alone, the big issue will be access to new books (easy on K, at least in most of the states) and power (K2i probably has longest battery life, at present, so recharges could be once a week or even a solar charger used, which could hang outside a backpack.

A lot depends on just how light he is wanting to travel, how much he is willing to carry and how in-touch he wants to be.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's always getting a good protective case for the device to keep it protected while traveling, which some would argue would be a good idea regardless.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I have a Hanvon 516 and it has 2,100 books on it (pre-loaded)... The hardest part on a trip might be recharging

Oh, my dog ate the case - thankfully he didn't touch the reader as it was connected to the case by magnets. I found the intact reader, before I found the chewed up case...

Last edited by lene1949; 01-18-2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: My dog
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 AM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Just travelled for 6 weeks with my reader - loved it. Had more than enough books on it to give me the choice.

I also had relevant travel documents scanned and loaded on it as pdf (including copy of my passport).

Recharging was the only problem - so before buying, ensure that your friend knows how to recharge the reader (some might be able to be recharged via the small solar chargers you can get these days).
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kindle, travel