Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #211
becsta
Enthusiast
becsta doesn't litterbecsta doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura
I am in Australia and have ordered a Nook Color. I use Comgateway they are in Oregon.

According to UPS my nook arrived in Oregon at 1.47pm on 26 Nov but doesn't seem to have been delivered to comgateway yet. I paid the extra in postage for the faster service which seems to be a waste of money as it says it is a 3 day service but was picked up on 23 Nov with a delivery date of 30 Nov, to me that is 7 days I know that the Thanksgiving holiday was in there as well.
becsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #212
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
I am in Australia and have ordered a Nook Color. I use Comgateway they are in Oregon.

According to UPS my nook arrived in Oregon at 1.47pm on 26 Nov but doesn't seem to have been delivered to comgateway yet. I paid the extra in postage for the faster service which seems to be a waste of money as it says it is a 3 day service but was picked up on 23 Nov with a delivery date of 30 Nov, to me that is 7 days I know that the Thanksgiving holiday was in there as well.
They deliver in 3 workdays. So it is only 4 days instead of 3 days.
A lot depends on the location of the B&N warehouse from where the Nook was shipped. My Nook was delivered to my Borderlinx address in one day (Shipped November 17. delivered November 18, delivered in the Netherlands November 22).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #213
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Has anyone in Canada ordered a Nook Color through one of the US forwarding places? Just trying to get an idea of the approx shipping costs.

Thanks,

Kevin
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 AM   #214
nooclear
Dr
nooclear began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
IP control at ordering Nook book

When ordering from B&N there is an IP number control. Although, you can download tons of free ebooks (search after 0.00 at the B&N site) to your Nook. Having a friend in the States? Let the friend log in your account and do the ordering, the book pops up in your library and via WiFi downloads to your device. If the friend loads your accound with 50 $ gift card then the credit card control is eliminated too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
"The digital books in Barnes & Noble’s e-bookstore are available in either epub or Adobe Pdf format. Customers who want to buy books in those formats from other digital bookstores may do so and transfer them onto the Nook, but those who want to buy e-books directly from the device will be connected to Barnes & Noble’s own bookstore."
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1...s-e-reader/?hp

I can always find a way to get a Nook overseas but I will most likely miss out on discounted ebooks offered from B&N. Looking at bestsellers Lost Symbol sells for about $10 on Amazon and B&N (Kindle Intl +$2), but the site you mentioned, BooksOnBoard is selling it for nearly $25. Seems like if you want affordable ebooks Amazon and B&N are the safest bets (an observation, I'm not an expert.)

Assuming you can transfer B&N books via the USB cable has anyone successfully bought B&N ebooks from overseas using a US credit card? Do they have a proxy block as well?

The only related comment I found was this "Barnes & Noble has said that it is looking at an international roll out however failed to mention a time frame when Pocket-lint asked."
Pocket-lint being the name of this site: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/2808...ble-nook-ebook
nooclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #215
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooclear View Post
When ordering from B&N there is an IP number control. Although, you can download tons of free ebooks (search after 0.00 at the B&N site) to your Nook. Having a friend in the States? Let the friend log in your account and do the ordering, the book pops up in your library and via WiFi downloads to your device. If the friend loads your accound with 50 $ gift card then the credit card control is eliminated too.
Buying e-books from B&N on your PC is not difficult at all.
1. Register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. You can use any valid US address.
2. Install a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).

If you want to buy e-books from B&N on your PC first start the VPN, than buy the books. It is as easy as that.
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #216
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
I buy most of my books from kobobooks. No silly country restrictions. (I have a nook)
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #217
nooclear
Dr
nooclear began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Hello geertm,
interesting suggestion to use VPN to circumvent BNs IP cumber control when ordering. I was not familiar with the solution, but gave it a go. Downloaded hotspotshield.com, installed it and voila, it gave me IP 10.65.56.xxx e.g. an US IP number, B&N orders will succeed this way.
However, the technique uses of people eager to hide their identities, one will not get into same category as these suspect people just to circumvent a dum administrative rule. BTW why is a half-moon int the VPN shield logotype? :-)
nooclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 AM   #218
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
Thanks (Bedankt) to Gertm. I received my NC yesterday and I'm extrememly happy with the purchase! I paid a total of 288euro which included my local import tax which is 23%. The snow and strikes in Finland delayed my package in Germany for a few days.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #219
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
But, I wonder, is it safe to access your account through a VPN? The connection to the store is usually ssl encripted, but what happens when you have some VPN service in the middle?
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #220
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonex View Post
But, I wonder, is it safe to access your account through a VPN? The connection to the store is usually ssl encripted, but what happens when you have some VPN service in the middle?
I am no networking guru, but as far as I know it works as follows:
- The VPN builds an encrypted tunnel from your PC to the VPN server in the US (the end of that tunnel in the US is what the B&N website sees).
- Your internet connection goes from your PC, through that tunnel, to B&N.
- If you login to your account an HTTPS connection is made between your PC and the B&N website. That HTTPS connection is a secure (encrypted) connection that goes through the VPN tunnel.
- Regular HTTP traffic wil be just a safe (or unsafe) as usual.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #221
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
Thanks (Bedankt) to Gertm. I received my NC yesterday and I'm extrememly happy with the purchase! I paid a total of 288euro which included my local import tax which is 23%. The snow and strikes in Finland delayed my package in Germany for a few days.
I am glad I could help you.
Have fun with your Nook!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #222
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimborg View Post
I buy most of my books from kobobooks. No silly country restrictions. (I have a nook)
WRONG ! with Kobo you just don't see the books you can't buy, but believe me, they very well have country restrictions (try entering the site with and without a VPN and you will see, huge difference). Try buying the latest Anita Shreve "Rescue" for instance.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #223
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I am no networking guru, but as far as I know it works as follows:
- The VPN builds an encrypted tunnel from your PC to the VPN server in the US (the end of that tunnel in the US is what the B&N website sees).
Not all VPN tunnels are encrypted. If it's an IPSEC tunnel, it can include AH (packets are authentic, but not encrypted), ESP (packets are encrypted but not authentic), or both. A lot of VPNs these days just use SSL - same as your browser, which will always encrypt, and may or may not authenticate.

Quote:
- If you login to your account an HTTPS connection is made between your PC and the B&N website. That HTTPS connection is a secure (encrypted) connection that goes through the VPN tunnel.
Maybe... Watch for the padlock icon and a certificate warning. If you get a warning, then the VPN provider is intercepting the SSL traffic and repackaging it, which means they can see the content. If you have a padlock icon, and no certificate warning, and the URL in your browser address bar is Barnes & Noble, then it's likely that you have an end-to-end tunnel from your browser to B&N.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #224
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
At least you can buy a good amount of books, unlike the B&N's store IP ban for the entire store.

But yea, honestly in my experience Amazon has the least international restrictions, unfortunately for us. Kobo does the trick for me most of the time though.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 AM   #225
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Buying e-books from B&N on your PC is not difficult at all.
1. Register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. You can use any valid US address.
2. Install a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).

If you want to buy e-books from B&N on your PC first start the VPN, than buy the books. It is as easy as that.
Am I the only one who has problems with this method?

I've mentioned this before, but even when I go the VPN route, the ebooks successfully get added to My Library (in my account on the website) but if I try to download them onto my computer, it doesn't let me. Usually, it's either something about my using an invalid credit card (I'm using a non-US card, as I assume are most people who use VPN) or -- if I try disconnecting my VPN -- about my location not being supported.

Admittedly, I haven't tried in a few months (I'm buying most of my books via Borders) but that's how it was when I last tried.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas