Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I upgraded to Mavericks on my 2009 MBP and even though it runs great, I have a big beef with it. I think I had somehow turned all anti-aliasing (AKA FUZZY BLURRY TEXT) off in Mountain Lion. Now there seems to be no way to change it in Mavericks or in Safari. Fuzzy blurry text everywhere is driving me nuts.

eP
Wouldn't that be, System Preferences > General > Use LCD font smoothing when available (at the bottom)?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I think I won't be upgrading from Mountain Lion. Upgrading OSs often brings at least as much headache as joy.

Upgrading to Mavericks may be free, but upgrading my virtualisation software is not. Parallels Desktop want me to pay €50 to them for a Mavericks upgrade. That sucks.
Parallels has been doing that since the Leopard days. That's why a lot of people get it bundled. Mostly with crap software, but it's still Parallels for so much cheaper.

I wouldn't worry too much. You get the new Safari in Mountain Lion, and Apple will continue to support it for a few more years.

Gotta watch out for the app updates that might break though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

It is always the little things that add up. For example, I had added a mail account for Gmail, but had disabled it. Mavericks enabled the Gmail account. No big deal, but annoying.

All in all though, this was much easier a way less annoying than upgrading a PC to a newer Windows version! And more things still worked in Mavericks than I usually experienced with a Windows upgrade. Of course my Mac Mini is barely a year old and all the software apps are fairly new as well, so less likely to have issues than I would on an old Mac.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I think I won't be upgrading from Mountain Lion. Upgrading OSs often brings at least as much headache as joy.

Upgrading to Mavericks may be free, but upgrading my virtualisation software is not. Parallels Desktop want me to pay €50 to them for a Mavericks upgrade. That sucks.
I'm in the same boat with VMWare Fusion 4. It's not officially supported on Mountain Lion but I'm not having any problems with it now. But might be tempting fate to go to Mavericks, so I'm holding off for now. I'm also a little worried that upgrading Fusion will break one of my VMs (Windows 2000, running a DOS program that requires EMM!).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I read this morning that Mavericks crashes far more often than previous versions. You may want to hold off that update until the issues are ironed out.

Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I read this morning that Mavericks crashes far more often than previous versions. You may want to hold off that update until the issues are ironed out.

Source
Sounds like just one guy having issues and a few hackers he knows. I've never had any crashes nor have I heard from anyone who has. It is funny how one person on a blog can post his isolated issues as though they are universal and people start to panic.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #22
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Wouldn't that be, System Preferences > General > Use LCD font smoothing when available (at the bottom)?
I tried that (and restarting) and it looks exactly the same.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I tried that (and restarting) and it looks exactly the same.

eP
Maybe they screwed up the driver for you MBP's screen. Have you tried it with an external display to see if that works?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I upgraded to Mavericks on my 2009 MBP and even though it runs great, I have a big beef with it. I think I had somehow turned all anti-aliasing (AKA FUZZY BLURRY TEXT) off in Mountain Lion. Now there seems to be no way to change it in Mavericks or in Safari. Fuzzy blurry text everywhere is driving me nuts.
eP
This is good to know. I have a 2008 MBP so I have been hesitant to upgrade.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Well, I find all "non-Retina" screens fuzzy at this point. MacBook Air with Retina, that would be something, but it doesn't exist for now.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I will be getting a new retina MBP within the next month, so I'll see if I like that better or not. I'm not sure I will.

Look at the screenshot in this article, this is from Mountain Lion:

http://etherealmind.com/mac-os-x-dis...g-on-mac-os-x/

I must have had "turn off text smoothing below this size" set really high. They no longer have this option on Mavericks. I found ONE Mavericks review that mentions this, I wish I had noticed it before I upgraded!

I know I am in the minority, I just can't stand anti-aliased text. It looks terrible to me. I think Apple has decided that everyone likes anti-aliased text better by now, and I am stuck in the past. I also hate glossy screens, and Apple has stopped making matte screens on their newer macbook models. I am going to be like some on the curmudgeons that we know (and love?) on here who keep griping about all the new ereader models coming out with no buttons.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I haven't upgraded my 2008 MBP yet, but on 2 other 2013 Macbooks and my Hackintosh the Mavericks upgrade was smooth. One of the Macbooks is an Air (no retina screen) and it looks the same as it did on Mountain Lion. I had purchased Parallels as part of a bundle a couple of months ago and the upgrade to 9 was free.

I might try Mavericks on my old MBP but I'll clone the hard drive first so if it's not a good experience I can go back.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Well, I find all "non-Retina" screens fuzzy at this point. MacBook Air with Retina, that would be something, but it doesn't exist for now.
It has been announced and is show on the Apple web site in two sizes 13" and 15". Both have retina displays for picky users like yourself .

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #29
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@DaleDe - I think he was referring to the MacBook Airs not the MacBook Pros (the pros have retina).

Parallels 8 works quite OK with Mavericks. I haven't had any real problems so far.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Parallels 8 works quite OK with Mavericks. I haven't had any real problems so far.
That's interesting... The Parallels website features a prominent warning, including in their Mavericks FAQ, that Parallels won't work on Mavericks unless the user upgrades to Parallels 9 before upgrading Mac OS to Mavericks. Perhaps it's a ploy to get people to upgrade Parallels for the hefty €50 charge...

Anyway, I'm staying with Mountain Lion for now. It's ironic I probably use Windows 7 software more than Mac OS software on my MacBook Air; generally I prefer Win 7 over Mac OS because it strikes me as faster, more versatile and more customisable.

Last edited by Faterson; 10-25-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote