Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 03:57 AM   #16
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You should be able to read the library MobiPocket e-books, but only after you register the device and only for future library e-book downloads. Assuming these work the same way as standard MobiPocket DRM, the ID's of allowed devices is encoded in the file. You should ask your library how they handle new MobiPocket devices.
My experience of buying secure Mobipocket books from Fictionwise is that if I add a new PID, or change a PID then I can download the book again and it has the new PID infomation in it, and works on the new device. I found this because I was having some issues with my mobile phone and Orange UK told me that they needed to exchange the handset to fix the problem. Other than the fact that it didn't fix the problem (Grrr) I had to reinstall all my software and so it changed my mobipocket PID. One quick edit on Fictionwise and a re-download of my secure books and everything was working OK.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course, you could get both the 505 and the Gen3 for the best of both worlds for not much more then the cost of the iLiad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocelet View Post
My experience of buying secure Mobipocket books from Fictionwise is that if I add a new PID, or change a PID then I can download the book again and it has the new PID infomation in it, and works on the new device. I found this because I was having some issues with my mobile phone and Orange UK told me that they needed to exchange the handset to fix the problem. Other than the fact that it didn't fix the problem (Grrr) I had to reinstall all my software and so it changed my mobipocket PID. One quick edit on Fictionwise and a re-download of my secure books and everything was working OK.
If you find you are out of PIDs for your Mobi books, the solution is to download the books multiple times to keep multiple copies so you won't have to ever worry about what devices you can read them on or that the shop won't someday be there when you do want to change PIDs.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you find you are out of PIDs for your Mobi books, the solution is to download the books multiple times to keep multiple copies so you won't have to ever worry about what devices you can read them on or that the shop won't someday be there when you do want to change PIDs.
Sorry Jon, you've slightly lost me. How can you know what the Mobi ID will be of devices that you might acquire in the future when the shop may no longer be in business?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:11 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry Jon, you've slightly lost me. How can you know what the Mobi ID will be of devices that you might acquire in the future when the shop may no longer be in business?
You only get so many PIDs to enter for a given book. You download that book and then can only read on the devices who's PIDs have been entered. Now you have more dvices that you could use to read with. So you go back to the site and enter the orhter PID in place of the current PIDs and download again. So you end up with multiple copies of the same book but readable on the devices you could not read the first copy with.
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #21
tcmoon
Connoisseur
tcmoon is on a distinguished road

Device: slate pc
thanks all

I bought the cybook3.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom
tcmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #22
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Anyone tried to buy book on this site:
UK iLiad?

What type format are they? Are they DRM protected?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote