Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #1441
elborak
Enthusiast
elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzolux View Post
Hyphenation is THE killer feature, especially if you happen to read mostly german texts.
Yeah, German has those insanely long compound words.

Indeed, why this isn't implemented as a standard feature is hard to understand. So folks like ixtab step in and fill the void, only met with pointless obfuscation.

It's long since come to the point that I never turn on WiFi, lest an update sneak past my safeguards. There's nothing that Amazon could offer in an update that would be of more value than what ixtab and others already provide unofficially.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #1442
disu93
disu93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
Temporally hack for Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.5 (only) with "English (United Kingdom)" interface:
update_fonthack_0.3_pw_535.zip

- The changed size of a font at reading books mobi (Mobi-drawing-en_GB.jar) and kf8 (HTMLReader-impl-en_GB.jar);
- The changed size of a font in the panel of search (Reader-plugin-en_GB.jar);
- The switched on reflow-mode for pdf-documents (Reader-plugin-en_GB.jar);
- The changed margins at reading books mobi and kf8 (ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar);
- The reduced margins for pdf-documents (ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar);
- The reduced height of the bottom progressbar (ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar).

More details in a Readme_eng.txt file...
Thank you very much!! I've been searching all over for this. All I wanted was to read PDF's without the big margins, and this worked great for my Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.5. It's nice now that my .mobi files have smaller margins too!
disu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #1443
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Well thank *you*, twice actually! First for your unselfish donation, and second for *not* bitching because JBPatch doesn't support FW 5.3.5
I think it is appalling that JBPatch doesn't support firmware 5.4.1, which as you know will be was released in Jan 2014. Would it have killed you to invent a time machine to release a JBPatch a paltry six months before the firmware release. This would mean we have time to spot it on mobileread before Amazon starts pushing the updates to us, even if we're on holiday away from network connectivity in our secret Antarctic volcano base when you release it? It's not like we're asking for much.

:P :P
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #1444
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I think it is appalling that JBPatch doesn't support firmware 5.4.1, which as you know will be was released in Jan 2014. Would it have killed you to invent a time machine to release a JBPatch a paltry six months before the firmware release. This would mean we have time to spot it on mobileread before Amazon starts pushing the updates to us, even if we're on holiday away from network connectivity in our secret Antarctic volcano base when you release it? It's not like we're asking for much.

:P :P
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #1445
TulseLuper
Connoisseur
TulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with others

Device: kindle touch
Hey people ,

Sorry if im being redundant , but after downgrading and updating k5 from 5.1 by kubrick , to 5.3.2 , I cant get tts to work properly in portuguese anymore,it is due to the lack of tts patch on jbpatch 4 or my problem can be other thing ?

thanks !
TulseLuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #1446
lynnux
lynnux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow. How did I ever miss this? I just installed to my K5, and it's working great. I especially love the font size and margin hacks! I was always bugged at not being able to choose an in-between font size, the default was usually too small or too big. This plus smaller margins is brilliant, thank you! (I did have to try a bunch of different variations to get the in-between fonts to work).

My one question: Current firmware is 5.1.2 Even though I've been on wi-fi a lot the last six months, it's never updated. Can I assume my Kindle is immune to update attempts for some reason? I do have an early jailbreak and special offers hack installed (shhh), is that acting as a firewall?
lynnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #1447
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnux View Post
Wow. How did I ever miss this? I just installed to my K5, and it's working great. I especially love the font size and margin hacks! I was always bugged at not being able to choose an in-between font size, the default was usually too small or too big. This plus smaller margins is brilliant, thank you! (I did have to try a bunch of different variations to get the in-between fonts to work).

My one question: Current firmware is 5.1.2 Even though I've been on wi-fi a lot the last six months, it's never updated. Can I assume my Kindle is immune to update attempts for some reason? I do have an early jailbreak and special offers hack installed (shhh), is that acting as a firewall?
Maybe (I have no idea), but I wouldn't take the chance. Install the backdoor lock just to be on the safe side.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #1448
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Hi,
I'd like to report a PDF related bug.

This is a Kindle Paperwhite running the 5.3.4 firmware here with the current JBPatch Version 4.0.0 (2013-04-13).

The "Modify Reader Margins" patch (Version 2013-04-13) offers, among others, two settings:

"Footer Height" (Default: 30) -> displays the "current location", "percentage", etc.

"Bottom Margin" (Default: 30) -> the total height of the bottom margin, including the footer (so it should be >= "Footer Height").

These settings work fine with an "azw3" file but they misbehave with PDF files.

For an "azw3" file, the actual "bottom margin height" is equal to the "Bottom Margin" setting (i.e. by default it is 30).

For PDF files, however, the actual "bottom margin height" is equal to "Footer Height" + "Bottom Margin" (i.e. by default it is 60 = 30 + 30).
Well, quite a substantial loss of space ... while displaying a PDF file, the reader always keeps the "aspect ratio" encoded in the file, hence any loss of space in one direction (in this case "vertical") immediately translates into a corresponding additional lowering of used space in the other direction (in this case "horizontal"). Together they make the font smaller / less readable. (Well, if there's any option that will convince the reader to neglect the encoded "aspect ratio", let me know.)

Hope it helps,
Best regards,
Pepe.

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 06-07-2013 at 01:44 PM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #1449
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
Hi,
I'd like to propose three extensions to the "Enhance Dictionary Lookup" patch (JBPatch Version 4.0.0 dated 2013-04-13):

1. Would it be possible to add the "view full definition in the definition window when looking up a word" feature (which was introduced in the newest Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.5 firmware)? But please keep the "Show Full Definition" button (they removed it in the 5.3.5 firmware -> one needs to click "More" and then select "Dictionary" and I've found it really annoying so that I returned to 5.3.4).

2. Would it be possible to "enforce" the "Show Full Definition" button appearance / "being active" even in cases in which the dictionary lookup returned "No Definition found"? In such cases, I'd like to open the dictionary and "search" for a word in the dictionary myself.
Note: the standard Kindle's "magnifying glass / search" -> "Dictionary" will always open the default Kindle's dictionary which is "connected" with the device's language setting, while I would like to open the dictionary "specific" to the book's language. (Well, if there's any way to open a "specific" dictionary, without changing the device's language setting, let me know.)

3. Would it be possible to implement "recursive" dictionary calls from inside of the "definition window"? Quite often, I read a "definition" and inside of the displayed "definition" I find another word(s) which I want to get "definition(s)" of (i.e. call the dictionary "recursively"). For now, this is NOT possible from inside of the small "definition window" -> one always needs to "Show Full Definition" first.

Best regards,
Pepe.

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 06-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #1450
barba
Enthusiast
barba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite 1 and Nook HD+ rooted
Complain

I buy a Paperwhite with 5.3.1, jailbreak, JBPatch (Enhance Dictionary, Modify Reader fonts, Fix layout, Modify margins),KUAL, ALT_Fonts and Collections Manager and I am happy because I never turn on WIFI

I want to ask all the people that complain about hack's problems with update:

What the update give you better than the hacks I mentioned?

Ixtab make a fabulous work that make a Kindle a much better machine and we have to be very thankful with him.

It is a pitty that this great Forum only talk about complains.

Amazon will continue to update until nothing of the hacks function.

Please, install 5.3.1 firmware (or whatever you like) and don't complain any more!!

Thank you Ixtab again.

(Sorry for my english)
barba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #1451
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
I really like PDF reflow by kaznelson's font hack under fw 5.3.5, so I gave a chance to it under fw 5.3.4+Jailbreak+JBPatch 4.0.0. I've copied update_fonthack_0.3_pw_install.bin and Reader-plugin-en_GB.jar (no matter from which directory) from the fonthack pack to the root of my PW. After an 'Update your Kindle' command everything seems to work without problem. Now I have a fully functional JBPatch with hyphenation, adjustable margins, etc. AND 'Text-only Display' mode for PDF files.

Last edited by Mike76; 07-03-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #1452
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Add fonthack for 5.3.4 and 5.3.6 firmware:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1431
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #1453
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@kaznelson, is it possible to port the "PDF text re-flow" patch to Kindle Touch? thanks.

Last edited by yiming; 07-03-2013 at 12:53 PM.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #1454
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
I think, yes. At least on 5.3.2.1 firmware:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...74#post2484274

If not:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78#post2486878
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #1455
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
I think, yes. At least on 5.3.2.1 firmware:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...74#post2484274
thanks for the links, I tried it works:
  1. copy the reflow file into documents folder
  2. restart Kindle: menu>settings>menu>restart

then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Open PDF, invoke menu and there will be a new toggle option Text-Only Display. I've tested it on this file, it works.
Attached Files
File Type: zip K5_reflow.zip (146 Bytes, 429 views)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks