Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
My screen is adequate for reading. Had I waited, it would have been cheaper. Waited a little longer and it would have been marginally better contrast. But it will do just fine for reading fiction.

I have technical reading requirements for which a 6 inch reader is far too small, and color is required.

The 50% increase over what is used now is good. Looking at all of the readers that some people have I would assume that many will add a new one to their collection. If the prices dropped a lot I might too.

The one thing that I did notice was that aside from the contrast increase there aren’t any other significant improvements.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #17
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlad View Post
I wondered after Amazon has released the DX, why Sony hasn't launched a 9.7" device. I hope this new technology to be the answer.
Sony 9" + eink pearl + native pdf = ideal ebook reader
Just cut the pearl and add normal paper size.... 11"or larger + pdf = ideal
Have been waiting for this for about 3 years now =(

And not in that retarded prs 900 format. No Sony! just making it bigger on one side doesn't make it better! Anyways... it's not as if Sony's selling it outside the US. I just wonder why Sony threads upon the reader market like a scaredy cat while amazon just goes happygolucky style.

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #18
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I used the Sony 505 for about a year, and before I'll buy another eInk based ereader, both the contrast and the pixel density will have to improve markedly. The new contrast ratio of the pearl at 10:1 is approaching a level I would personally find acceptable, but I would like to see more like 12:1 or even 15:1. And then, I would like to see a pixel density of 300 dpi to mimic true print.

The eink version used in the 505 was had a background that was just too gray for my liking, and the ~170 dpi was close, but wasn't quite sharp enough for me at small font sizes.

I concluded that the eink technology just isn't mature enough for me to justify having a separate device just for reading. I'll be sticking with the all-in-one solution of the LCD-based tablet for a few more years until eink tech gets to the point where it is compelling enough to make me want to have a dedicated reader to lug around on trips in addition to a multimedia tablet. I'm looking forward to that time, because I really did like the concept of something that does mimic the look of print on paper. It's still got a little ways to go before it gets there for me, though.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
The one thing that I did notice was that aside from the contrast increase there aren’t any other significant improvements.
But this is the ONLY improvement I'm waiting for. Actually I'm afraid it might not be enough.

[Well, that and an ePub supporting 9.7in device]
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #20
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
... It's a question of when the technology will be good enough to get involved...
Don't think that's the question of the majority of people at all. If that were true, then no one would have bought the original crank telephone, no one would have bought a model T Ford, or the 3" black and white TV, or even a flat screen TV for that matter, a VCR, a refrigerator that used ice, an outhouse, the Apple 1, the IBM XT, microwave oven, wind up watch, slide rule, fountain pen, air conditioner, electric sweeper, pencil sharpener or any else that has improved it design over time.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Don't think that's the question of the majority of people at all. If that were true, then no one would have bought the original crank telephone, no one would have bought a model T Ford, or the 3" black and white TV, or even a flat screen TV for that matter, a VCR, a refrigerator that used ice, an outhouse, the Apple 1, the IBM XT, microwave oven, wind up watch, slide rule, fountain pen, air conditioner, electric sweeper, pencil sharpener or any else that has improved it design over time.
Some of you folks sure do like representing imagined majorities.

Someone asked if it was worth holding out a little while, and I simply said it may be for people who do not find a certain aspect of the technology good enough. Ebook readers are still crude devices, and there are plenty sitting on the fence waiting for certain criteria to be met. I apologize if that notion is confusing or offensive.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
How soon will consumers see the technology in devices? Is it worth waiting to buy a new e-reader until Pearl is widely used?
L.J.
New readers should be out within a few months, so personally I'd wait, as a bit of a contrast bump on my PRS-505 would go along for reading in lower light.

Sure, there will always be something better/cheaper/etc, but the question here is waiting a few months for an improved device over an already good design. Not waiting indefinitely for the perfect one.

I'd say wait. Unless you're one of those people that has no qualms about putting stuff up on eBay after a few months of use and just upgrade later.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:18 AM   #23
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
I've had my 505 for more than two years and I've been very happy with it. I've been waiting for something significantly better to upgrade. Now, Pearl seems a very good improvement to me. I'll definitely check Sony's Pearl device when it comes out. If it's reasonably priced then I'd probably go for it.
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd love to see the "old" and "new" kindle DX's side by side. In action, that is.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #25
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
I've had my 505 for more than two years and I've been very happy with it. I've been waiting for something significantly better to upgrade. Now, Pearl seems a very good improvement to me. I'll definitely check Sony's Pearl device when it comes out. If it's reasonably priced then I'd probably go for it.
We are in the same boat
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #26
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Some of you folks sure do like representing imagined majorities.

Someone asked if it was worth holding out a little while, and I simply said it may be for people who do not find a certain aspect of the technology good enough. Ebook readers are still crude devices, and there are plenty sitting on the fence waiting for certain criteria to be met. I apologize if that notion is confusing or offensive.
Just pointing out that some will always chase technology. Some will always be getting ready to do something, rather than just doing it. Almost any current device will seem crude in maybe 5 years or less.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #27
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
We are in the same boat
We'll have to move to a bigger boat - not enough space .

...Apart from the fact that this time I'll probably spring for the bigger screen.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
We'll have to move to a bigger boat - not enough space .

...Apart from the fact that this time I'll probably spring for the bigger screen.
Me too if it is from Sony and standard ratio, not like 900.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #29
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
One company uses the term in their product name does not make them own it. I think the original term should be "animal copyrighted". The right to use it should belong to the animal that the name is originally attached to.
You may mean "trademarked". Not the same thing.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Just pointing out that some will always chase technology. Some will always be getting ready to do something, rather than just doing it. Almost any current device will seem crude in maybe 5 years or less.
I'm usually like that Oh, if i wait 3 more months, a much better device will be out! Three months later: "but there'll be a better one in 3 more months!"
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e ink, pearl