Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
DX For Reading Books vs K2

Disclaimer: I am a reader of books only. I do NOT read PDF articles, charts, graphs, or even comics. Also, I have old(er) eyes that are very tired after work (use computers all day). And I read a lot at night (2-5 hours). That said:

SIZE DOES MATTER!

After spending last evening reading on the DX, and playing with auto-rotate, text sizes, etc., I pulled out my K2. It looked and felt like a toy! And previously I loved my K2. And my K1.

The DX truly reads like a real book: fewer page turns, more text displayed per screen (fewer "Page Backs" to review dialogue or find character names), etc. -- what Jeff Bezos referred to (if memory serves) as the reading device disappearing and the reader entering into the book's reading experience.

Yes, it's heavier - esp. with the cover. But so are books (hard backs). I simply propped it either on my lap (with the cat's grudging permission), on the back of the cat (not for long!), or on the arm of my chair.

It ain't perfect yet, but as Eric Cartman would say: "Sweeeeeeeeeeet."

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
I agree Poohbear... In fact, the weight helps add to the "illusion" that you are reading a real book, too me. It feels like a hardcover -- which I actually like. They have "reading pillows" that are shaped like a pyramid with a little ledge to prop a pook up on your lap -- it is the perfect resting spot for the Kindle (or any reader -- I used the reading pillow with my Sony just to "raise" the smaller reader up higher for easier reading).

Sometimes I'll prop the reading pillow on top of the dog and he doesn't seem to mind... so maybe your cat wouldn't either. ;-)
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
rijker
curiouser and curiouser
rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, K1,K2, iTouch 16gb
I have had a very similar experience (also similar age/occupation demographic so that may have something to do with it? ). Large type = me. Before the DX arrived was really concerned it would be too big, bulky or just "weird feeling" to read books on. After using it for a few hours, has definitely zoomed to the top of my favorite-reader-so-far list. Size is great - our cat also grudgingly agreed to share a lap with this new intruder so all is well with the world ..

I do read a lot of PDF format documents however, and have actually found them to work a lot better and faster on the DX than other comments in the forums would indicate. Maybe I'm just lucky so far. A 21mb PDF loaded quickly and easily. Would prefer a zoom feature in portrait mode but text although sometimes small, is crystal clear and sharp.

I actually was ready to send the thing right back upon arrival if it didn't fit perfectly - almost despite myself have to admit it's a definite 'keeper'. So I'm out my $489+ but a very happy camper!
rijker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijker View Post
I have had a very similar experience (also similar age/occupation demographic so that may have something to do with it? ). Large type = me. Before the DX arrived was really concerned it would be too big, bulky or just "weird feeling" to read books on. After using it for a few hours, has definitely zoomed to the top of my favorite-reader-so-far list. Size is great - our cat also grudgingly agreed to share a lap with this new intruder so all is well with the world ..

I do read a lot of PDF format documents however, and have actually found them to work a lot better and faster on the DX than other comments in the forums would indicate. Maybe I'm just lucky so far. A 21mb PDF loaded quickly and easily. Would prefer a zoom feature in portrait mode but text although sometimes small, is crystal clear and sharp.

I actually was ready to send the thing right back upon arrival if it didn't fit perfectly - almost despite myself have to admit it's a definite 'keeper'. So I'm out my $489+ but a very happy camper!
I have read in other forums that turning a PDF to landscape view does magnifiy the text a little bit - you might try it & see.
Glad your cat has accepted the intruder (so far!)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
FYI -- This is basically what my book rest pillow looks like (though mine is a really cool tapestry fabric!)

You can do a search for "Peeramid Book Pillow" on google and find places that sell them.

purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert