Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Tea or Coffee? Coffee or Tea?
Tea 44 47.83%
Coffee 45 48.91%
Neither 10 10.87%
*Neutral* 2 2.17%
Spain 5 5.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #46
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Coffee! Preferably coffee with Chicory (Community Coffee has the best). I do enjoy an occasional cup of Earl Grey. But for day-to-day, gotta have dark, STRONG coffee!
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #47
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe it does yes, but perhaps one's body gets accustomed to the particular form of it in tea vs. coffee? Whatever the explanation, though, it's a very real effect - if I have a couple of cups of "real" coffee, my hands start shaking and I just can't concentrate on anything. It's a very odd feeling. I can drink tea by the gallon and suffer no "ill effects" from it whatsoever.
I recall reading an article once that said the absorption of the caffeine into your system is slower from tea than from coffee. Can't remember where I read it, probably one of the science magazines I read. But they said that coffee and tea have equal amounts of caffeine, but the caffeine from tea is slower to enter your system, so actually gives a longer "boost" rather than a more immediate jolt from coffee.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #48
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Am I the only one that drinks both? When I am at home, I crave tea. When I am out or at work, I crave coffee. Both with cream and sugar, thought I like cold tea with or without the additives.

How about adding the BOTH option to the poll?

-Seth Williams
San Francisco, CA

Last edited by solitarywolf; 05-25-2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: forgot to add something.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #49
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
But I thought tea contained roughly as much caffeine as coffee does. Is that not right?
You get a lot more drinks from a pound of tea, than you do from a pound of coffee; so the average cup of coffee will contain more caffeine than a cup of tea, afaik.

I like a nice cup of coffee, with a tea bag in it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #50
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
You get a lot more drinks from a pound of tea, than you do from a pound of coffee; so the average cup of coffee will contain more caffeine than a cup of tea, afaik.
That's what I recall reading, too - pound for pound they have about the same, but a pound of tea makes more drinks than a pound of coffee, so the coffee usually ends up with more in per cup. I also seem to recall reading somewhere that the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee also depends on how it's made

Quote:
I like a nice cup of coffee, with a tea bag in it.
You're actually the second person I've come across who likes to mix tea and coffee...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #51
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
You're actually the second person I've come across who likes to mix tea and coffee...
I was joking.

But now I'm thinking I might give it a go.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #52
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
I was joking.

Wouldn't coffee's stronger flavor mask the tea's? I thought tea's charm lay in subtlety.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #53
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was joking.

If I hadn't worked with some-one who liked them mixed (and had witnessed them both making and drinking it it several times) I think I would have realised you were!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
Wouldn't coffee's stronger flavor mask the tea's? I thought tea's charm lay in subtlety.
It depends on how much coffee you put in, and how strong both are - the person I knew used to use fairly weak instant coffee (it was what was free at work!) and fairly strong tea (again, it was what was free).

It tasted almost, but not quite, like tea that's been sat in an old thermos for ages.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #54
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It depends on how much coffee you put in, and how strong both are - the person I knew used to use fairly weak instant coffee (it was what was free at work!) and fairly strong tea (again, it was what was free).

It tasted almost, but not quite, like tea that's been sat in an old thermos for ages.
that sounds revolting. why did they drink that ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #55
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that sounds revolting. why did they drink that ???
They claimed they liked it! (And, admittedly, gave every appearance of doing so for the couple of years I worked with them)
Old 05-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #56
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
Lapsang Souchong might work - that has quite an intense flavour that might complement a coffee.

Or perhaps a mint or fruit tea just to add a twist to the coffee.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #57
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
Coffee! Preferably coffee with Chicory (Community Coffee has the best). I do enjoy an occasional cup of Earl Grey. But for day-to-day, gotta have dark, STRONG coffee!
Mmm chickoree coffee with beignets (sp?)

I like tea, but I can't survive without my coffee.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #58
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
Coffee, italian style.

But this spanish version isn't half bad: un cortado con leche y leche.

StDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #59
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I only like coffee, if it doesn't taste like coffee.
My drink of choice is General Foods International Coffee, Swiss Mocha flavor!
Four heaping spoonfuls, so it is nice and rich!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #60
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I only like coffee, if it doesn't taste like coffee.
My drink of choice is General Foods International Coffee, Swiss Mocha flavor!
Four heaping spoonfuls, so it is nice and rich!
You must have been drinking some of mine.

I like the Hazelnut.........mmmmm....sweet.............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote