Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Identifying 'primary' format

Now that I buy Kindle books as well as ePubs and convert between the two formats I have a problem identifying which was the 'primary' format, (original) and which was the conversion. (If I want to tweak and reconvert then I want to work with the primary format.)

Does calibre's library have any way of knowing which the primary/source format was?

Would it be best to separate my Kindle books and ePubs into different libraries or is there any metadata field which I could use which is format specific?

I thought of simply using tags such as P:ePub and P:Kind as the indicator but this seems a bit messy and would create an unecessary collection on my Sony reader.

Last edited by Agama; 03-26-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use a custom column (Mstr Format: #master) with a Fixed list of values.
Code:
Multi,RAR(Html),EPUB,HTML(zip),RTF,KF8,Mobi,ODT,PDB,LRF,PRC,DOC,PDF,RAR,Other,BAD,TXT,LIT
The order is funky as I usually type the first letter. (Multi means I downloaded more than 1 format from the publisher. Archives list the content format. YMMV

Unfortunately, setting this is a Manual operation
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks that looks just the job, though my list will be a lot shorter. I don't have any custom columns yet and have seen posts that suggest they slow down calibre. Is this likely to be significant on a library of < 200 books?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Thanks that looks just the job, though my list will be a lot shorter. I don't have any custom columns yet and have seen posts that suggest they slow down calibre. Is this likely to be significant on a library of < 200 books?

How would I know

I added 500 books (All in PRC formats from the Baen CD's) the first day I got Calibre in 2009. The number of books just keeps going UP
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Agama
Guru

Fair enough! I'll give it a go and see what happens. Is it possible to delete a custom column or should I just back up my library first?
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Fair enough! I'll give it a go and see what happens. Is it possible to delete a custom column or should I just back up my library first?
It is easy to delete.
Anytime you plan on a major structure change, you should have a backup.

Note: adding a custom column will update all the (backup) Metadata.opf files in the folders