Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Converting from a 1DollarScan pdf (saved as word doc)

I received a huge PDF from 1DollarScan. In Acrobat Pro, I saved the file as a MS Word document (6155KB); in Word, I opened the file and saved it as a filtered html document (6553 kb).

I added the html document to Calibre (it came across as a zip file for some reason; isn't that how Calibre interprets html?) I'm not trying to convert the file to mobi so I can read it on my Kindle.

it's taking *forever* to convert. (20 minutes and 67% done). this is my second attempt at converting; the last attempt stalled out around 35 minutes converting.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to get the file size down so it'll be more in alignment with other ebooks (at 6155 kb, it's about 10x the size of an ordinary ebook).

oh, yeah, I'm on Windows 7, using Word 2010.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 01-06-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: eta system data
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Be patient Becca - big conversions can take hours

Whilst you're waiting you could try converting the PDF to PRC using MobiCreator - my experience is that its quick, the output file is usually much smaller than PDF->Word

Converting PRC to MOBI is usually very fast as they're essentially the same thing, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...nce+.mobi+.prc

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
it's taking *forever* to convert. (20 minutes and 67% done). this is my second attempt at converting; the last attempt stalled out around 35 minutes converting.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to get the file size down so it'll be more in alignment with other ebooks (at 6155 kb, it's about 10x the size of an ordinary ebook).
Everything is going fine. I have never heard of a html to mobi conversion actually stalling. I have heard of them failing and outputing an error. If your conversion has not failed and stopped on its own then it is still converting the file.

If you open the job (lower right corner) and look at the job details you will most likely see that it is still running.

For the most part the only books that ever consistently cause any problems are dictionaries. If this is a dictionary it may indeed fail or possibly stall at some point. I've had the rare conversion take around 6 hours to complete on a relatively fast i7 based machine. I've heard of conversions taking up to 24 hours.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
computer-girl
computer-girl began at the beginning.

Device: None
2 Tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I received a huge PDF from 1DollarScan. In Acrobat Pro, I saved the file as a MS Word document (6155KB); in Word, I opened the file and saved it as a filtered html document (6553 kb).

I added the html document to Calibre (it came across as a zip file for some reason; isn't that how Calibre interprets html?) I'm not trying to convert the file to mobi so I can read it on my Kindle.

oh, yeah, I'm on Windows 7, using Word 2010.
Hi Becca,

As I am waiting for my first set of 1DollarScan pdf files, I am unable to help you.

However, I would like to request your assistance.

Assuming that you did NOT pay the additional $2 per set for High Compression, have you used Adobe Acrobat to compress any files pdf from 1DollarScan and save them to another PDF file?

If so can you give the original PDF file size vs. the compressed PDF file size with Acrobat?

If you have not done the above compression, would you (or any one else who is willing) kindly take a moment and run this test for me?

Lastly, has anyone used to Acrobat to improve the OCR on the 1DollarScan pdf, assuming you paid only for the basic OCR and not the high quality OCR?

Regards,

computer-girl
computer-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I didn't do any compression. The original file was something like 25 mb. I used Acrobat Pro to save it as a .txt file, and converted that - that seemed to work the best. My final mobi file was something like 700kb.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert