Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
aidren
Edge User

USB/Ethernet adapter

I tried this set up...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...031062ec2cen02

which is basicly a USB line with two male ends. One attaches to the eDGe and the other end is fitted with and ethernet/RJ45 adapter (also male). It didn't work. So thought I might save someone some time.

So I wil be getting the type that Entourage advises, which is one unit, usb male/ethernet female.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Jennifer
Edge User

aidren: The enTourage adapter works great! We don't have Wi-Fi in our cave yet , but the adapter does the job perfectly well. The software update -- when we first got our eDGe -- that seemed to take a long time for some wireless users took less than 10 minutes from initiating the download to the final installation. One smart thing (of so many) that the designers did was to include two USB ports. I've used the lower one for transferring data from a flash drive while hooked up to the web via the upper port.

Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
aidren
Edge User

Thanks for the input, Jennifer. I've already run one of those down... I just have to make the 1/2 drive to pick it up.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
devseev
Edge User

Since the adapter on the Entourage site was out of stock, I bought a similar looking adapter on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
To my disappointment, I haven't been able to get it to work...So, unless there's some configuration thing I am missing, not all RJ45-USB adapters will work with the eDGe!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Question

Quote:
Jennifer - The enTourage adapter works great!
When were you able to get it? I have not seen it in stock yet.

Gunner...

Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Jennifer
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
When were you able to get it? I have not seen it in stock yet.
Gunner: I ordered it on March 1st along with my eDGe, but you're right, they haven't come in yet. Two weeks ago, when my order was ready to ship, minus the adapter, I realized I wouldn't have a way to hook up to the web, so I asked Tom at customer service to put my order on hold, as I didn't want to start using it without the software update installed. Instead, he offered to loan me his spare adapter. Very, very grateful for that.

Boris: Interesting. Thanks for that explanation.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
alefor
Edge User

Another thought... the adapter is about $25. I no longer ever use wired internet. For $100 (less if you look around) you can buy a pocket sized WiFi router. I take mine with me to hotels, etc and then I never have to stay tethered to the wall to be online. It is more expensive than the adapter but gives you great flexibility, especially if you travel alot.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
aidren
Edge User

Yes, thanks Boris. You just saved me an hour on the road. I'll be sure to check it out with support, now.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
For $100 (less if you look around) you can buy a pocket sized WiFi router.
Would you kindly share the name of the device?
Thanks
Gunner...

Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
alefor
Edge User

No problem. I use the Apple airport express, fits in a pocket and trivially easy to set up. I bring it on every trip and always have wifi in my hotel rooms.