Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #31
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I primarily just use my Kindle and that's all I need/want for myself, but it is nice to have a backup to:

1. Loan out to a close friend
2. Have peace of mind in case something happens to my primary
3. In a few rare instances, I've had kindle books formatted with really wide font margins and breaking/reconverting them with calibre doesn't seem to help. There's probably multi-step edit fix that would work but I don't want to spend longer fixing my files than I do reading them!
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #32
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I only read one book at a time on each device and have multiple books going at one time, so each reader is for a different book.
Funny, that's my usage pattern too. I've got 6 books going on 5 readers now. I don't know why, but that preference just evolved on its own. It's not like it's so difficult to tap around to another book on the same e-reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
With the exception of my very first ebook reader (Sony PRS-505), I only buy when they are being sold at a significant discount.
Ditto. How else to be tempted to get another device of the same core function?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I don't really have any rhyme, reason, or a well-thought-out reason for the devices that I currently have or have had.
Ditto, but I concocted rationalizations at the times of purchase.

My accumulation progression, not counting tablets and phones:
1. Sony PRS-505 (~$250?): Free classics!
2. Kindle 3 Keyboard ($189): Free Amazon ebooks! Free Calibre newspapers and magazines, automagically delivered!
3. Sony PRS-350 ($75 refurb): A pocketable reader, at almost half off!
4. Sony PRS-350 ($75 refurb): Better get a backup, 'cause nobody's making 5" Pearl screens anymore!
5. Sony PRS-350 ($37.50 refurb): Who can resist at that price!
6. Kindle Paperwhite 2 4GB No-SOs ($89): Built-in light, at the lowest price yet!

(They're all in perfect condition. Making the backup of the backup especially foolish.)
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #33
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I have 2 Nook Simple Touches, the second one I picked up for about $20 on clearance at Wal-Mart for backup. I have too many books on a microSDHC card for me to consider the latest Nook Glow, which dropped the external card slot. I'm not sure why, but I have two SDHC cards which should be identical, but the NSTs seem to have problems recognizing some of the ebooks.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #34
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have been considering doing the same thing as you did with the Simple Touch readers. If I do not have a book to read I go a little nuts, fortunately my wife does not remember the last time I had a reading breakdown, it wasn't a pretty site. Fortunately for me I have an ereader and I can carry multiple books at once so if I conclude a novel while I am out of the house I can pick up the next quickly. Now I am thinking about getting a backup in case my two year old paper white calls it quits while I am out of the house, it will most likely take me a week or two to replace the paper white, so I have the backup to pcik up the slack while I replace the paper white.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #35
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
A lot of forum members have multiple readers from different brands. My question is why do you have multiple readers? What is the advantage of having multiple readers vs having just one reader?

I have multiple Kindles and Kobos and use them all. Variety is the spice of life and all. This is my main hobby so I can easily justify having multiple eReaders.

When I am kicking it at home, the Kindle PW wifi or the Kobo Aura HD is my choice. On the road, traveling or just out I use the Kindle PW2 3g, the Kobo Mini or Kobo glo.

It's like a car afficianato getting to drive a different car day to day.. I can't afford a fleet of sports cars, but I can enjoy my eReader devices..
Looking for the Like button! My sentiments exactly!
I have a problem parting with electronics. I want a Kobo Touch as well as the glo. I'm sure I'll get them soon.

Update: just grabbed a "barely used" Kobo Touch with case, $31!

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-05-2014 at 05:32 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
That sounds like a nice snag. Congratulations! eBay?

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-05-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That sounds like a nice snag. Congratulations! eBay?
Yes, eBay!
I saw the thread on eBook addicts; its good to know I'm not alone. I'm an electronics addict. Have you seen the new iPads??? (Trying hard to resist)....
I really want the Kobo Glo, but why when I have an iPad mini if I want to read at night. Someone helpppppp! Lol

Old 10-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #38
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Having a 'spare' is a great idea

Flash (internal and External storage ) can go bad with little notice .
It happened to me while loading a new book onto my SD CARD.
One minute it is loading and updating the Calibre metadata, the next: ERROR

Toast . No SD Card device (I have many) could touch it.

Lost all my reading progress locations (I have many books 'going' as the mood fits) even though I did have the books safe in Calibre (also backed up).

Moral:
Have backup of 'hardware' also
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #39
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Multiple ebook readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
A lot of forum members have multiple readers from different brands. My question is why do you have multiple readers? What is the advantage of having multiple readers vs having just one reader?
My answer is 'why not?'. An alternate answer is because I get overly excited when a new design with new features is released.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #40
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Yes, eBay!
I saw the thread on eBook addicts; its good to know I'm not alone. I'm an electronics addict. Have you seen the new iPads??? (Trying hard to resist)....
I really want the Kobo Glo, but why when I have an iPad mini if I want to read at night. Someone helpppppp! Lol
No you are hardly alone, I am somewhat of an ebook addict, I am also addicted to ebooks however I have managed to keep myself from getting more ebooks before I have finished the ones that I have now. I think that is the first step on the road to recovery.

jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #41
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
For me, it has turned out that I tend to put certain genres on certain readers.

Mysteries and Thrillers go on the sony 350.
Classics and Free PD go on the Kindle Touch
Books I want to take my time on go on my phone [moto g] [right now, I have just started the New Annotated Poe]
Everything else goes on the Kindle non-touch
And the nook str is a backup if somehow I break all the others.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #42
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
By using regularly - would it be fine it I just occasionally turned an unused one on and flipped a couple pages and then turned it off about once a week?
I don't know the answer to how much time you need to use it. I added magazines to the one just so I would use it a bit every week.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:56 AM   #43
ereaderSam
Connoisseur
ereaderSam doesn't litterereaderSam doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I just have my current one, and hand down my old one to the ex-wife.
ereaderSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #44
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Even though I have Sony 350s as well, my current reader that I use is the Kobo Glo with an older firmware version on it. I have a spare Glo for when this one dies because I dislike capacitive touch for a reader and they're getting pretty hard to find anymore. I read on only one reader, I never keep switching between various devices.

If the Sony 350s had a front light, that would be my reader of choice, but it's now the Kobo Glo only because of the convenience of the front light.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #45
eSheri
Addict

Quote:
Wow! This Kobo Touch is great!!! The screen is so crisp!! Much better than my Kindle Keyboard and the New Basis Kindle I just returned!
(trying hard not to get a Kobo Glo....)

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-05-2014 at 05:36 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags