Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #466
laurla
Addict
laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You don't even have to do that. Plug your kindle in, run Calibre, send book to Kindle, Calibre will automatically convert it and send the correct format to the device.
I knew there were smarter people in this thread than me
laurla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #467
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
You don't even have to do that. Plug your kindle in, run Calibre, send book to Kindle, Calibre will automatically convert it and send the correct format to the device.
Yep, if you're transferring everything via Calibre it's easy peasy.

If you access your Calibre library in other ways (such as DropBox) and and need the AZW3 (or Mobi) files available that way then a bulk convert will do the trick with most/all books, although it can take a while.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #468
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurla View Post
There should be no reason to limit yourself to particular retailers because of the format available. calibre and alf allow you to conver epubs to KF8/mobi or KF8/mobi to epub. Or to pdf or html or whatever format your heart desires.
This, I completely agree with. This is why DRM is so very evil.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #469
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NixLapi View Post
lol. Yeah, this is my problem... though probably not so massive. But I just hate to give Kobo more of my money... I hadn't had this reader a full year and it did not get abused. I need to research really, but after having the Glo it's gotta have a built-in light!
It easy to convert to Mobi. That's the format I use to read with. Although AZW3 is pretty much a epub wrap in a Kindle wrapper. The Personal Documents Cloud only supports mobi still and this my prefer method of loading books on my Kindle.

You wouldn't have to convert your entire library at once. Just convert as you go. It's what I do. I only convert what goes on the Kindle. I buy epubs all the time. I convert them to Kindle (mobi) format because every book on my Kindle must go through Calibre first because I am dyslexic, I need to format it a certain way so I can read it comfortably.

When I do convert a book for eReader Ready status. I convert it to mobi and epub. So I always have both formats ready to go. Out of my massive 10,000+ Library only 600 books are eReader Ready and on Dropbox when I need them.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #470
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
*thoughtfully eyes massive ePub collection that's been building for years*

Yeah.... no. Not happening.
See my response in this post.
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #471
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Blossom, if I recall, you like to read your books with a space between paragraphs, don't you? I do, but my Paperwhite will not display them like that, even after I have formatted them with Calibre. Are you able to get the text to appear the way you want on your PW? I was so annoyed with this, I quit using it. (Now I have koreader and can read epubs, and that way it does display the text with spacing as I have formatted it.) I am very interested in how your text is displayed on your PW.
I have no problems getting my books to add a space. Here's my settings. I do use the Kindle Fire profile instead of Kindle. It's just easier for me to make sure my books are compatible with both my Kindles that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settings1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	110931  
Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #472
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
The trick is: "Insert line between paragraphs"
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #473
ChandaK562
Connoisseur
ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChandaK562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I hope this is the right place for this. A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick is Amazon's Deal of the Day for 1.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=1000677541
ChandaK562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #474
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Free @ Amazon & DRM FREE @ Kobo

Shadows (A Lux Novella) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Lux Series 01 (Aliens YA Romance)
Publisher: Entangled Teen (February 20, 2012)
Audible is $2.99 if you can stand the nasalily whiny sounding narrator.

I'm telling you this is fate! Was I not saying the other day I was going to give this series a try and then BAM! Here the first book in the series goes free!

Okay I just bought Book One to go with it used a 50% off coupon and got it for $1.67 I'll wait and see if I like it before buying the others and I will need some help from our Kobo Code Angels next trivia game.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-13-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #475
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
The trick is: "Insert line between paragraphs"
I check them both because it cleans up some of the mess that self published novels have making each paragraph to have the right amount of space. Especially if the book was made in Word before converted to ebook.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #476
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have no problems getting my books to add a space. Here's my settings. I do use the Kindle Fire profile instead of Kindle. It's just easier for me to make sure my books are compatible with both my Kindles that way.
Those are my settings. But the space does not appear on the Kindle. It does on every other device. I must be doing something else wrong.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #477
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Those are my settings. But the space does not appear on the Kindle. It does on every other device. I must be doing something else wrong.
Hmm do it to a public domain book then send it to me via PM and I will look at the internals and try to figure it out for you.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #478
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
--->Blossom & anyone who hasn't read this series yet. I have this series but haven't started it yet. I was checking on Goodreads and found that people say to read Obsidian (Lux #1.0) before reading Shadows (Lux #0.5). Shadows was released after Obsidian though it is a prequel. They say people who read Shadows (Lux #0.5) before Obsidian (Lux #1) were confused about certain things, whereas people who read it in the publication order (#1.0 first, then #0.5 second) didn't have those issues.

--->Can anyone here who has read the series confirm this too? I don't usually like reading prequels after reading the next book in the series, but I will make an exception here if it's the better choice. Thanks to anyone who can clarify this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Free @ Amazon & DRM FREE @ Kobo

Shadows (A Lux Novella) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Lux Series 01 (Aliens YA Romance)
Publisher: Entangled Teen (February 20, 2012)
Audible is $2.99 if you can stand the nasalily whiny sounding narrator.

I'm telling you this is fate! Was I not saying the other day I was going to give this series a try and then BAM! Here the first book in the series goes free!

Okay I just bought Book One to go with it used a 50% off coupon and got it for $1.67 I'll wait and see if I like it before buying the others and I will need some help from our Kobo Code Angels next trivia game.
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #479
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg3 View Post
--->Blossom & anyone who hasn't read this series yet. I have this series but haven't started it yet. I was checking on Goodreads and found that people say to read Obsidian (Lux #1.0) before reading Shadows (Lux #0.5). Shadows was released after Obsidian though it is a prequel. They say people who read Shadows (Lux #0.5) before Obsidian (Lux #1) were confused about certain things, whereas people who read it in the publication order (#1.0 first, then #0.5 second) didn't have those issues.

--->Can anyone here who has read the series confirm this too? I don't usually like reading prequels after reading the next book in the series, but I will make an exception here if it's the better choice. Thanks to anyone who can clarify this!
Yes please clarify! I am the same way go back and reading something is not my style usually.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #480
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I have some sad news to report. I haven't seen it mention here but Harlequin Blaze and Temptation author Cara Summers/Carolyn Andrews passed away a few days ago. I just saw Maggie Shayne's Tribute to her friend on Facebook.

I have several of her books but I have not read them yet.