Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
gratin3
gratin3 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
cybook gen3 vs sony ereader 505 which one?

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum have this is my first post. I wanted to get opinions from everyone if I could. I am looking into buying my first digital reader. I have pretty much narrowed it to Cybook gen 3 or sony 505. I dont need much just want to be able to read books (mostly a new release reader and fiction reader) I love reading and this would be my first introduction into the ebook world. I dont need internet connection, and not interested in the Kindle. Just wanted to see if anyone could give me their honest opinion of their device and why they like it. Or if what soomeone thinks of of the cybook vs the sony 505. I want to make sure I have a good selection of books (mostly new releases and fiction)sorry Im repeating myself. Thanks again in advance for helping a newbie and all advice and comments is well appreciated. Oh I am in the US.

Gracie
gratin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, gratin3!

I think you'll find that most of us love our reading devices around here -- but we've all got different ones!

Seriously, though, the reason most of us love our readers is because most of us have done what you're doing: researched the matter before-hand.

The Gen3 and PRS505 are fairly comparable machines as far as hardware goes. The displays are the same size and the same generation of e-ink. The processors and memory are similar.

What it really comes down to is what you want to read, with a bit of a question of how much conversion you're willing to do.

I'd suggest you start by looking at the various e-tailers for e-books and see how what you find compares to what you want to read. Obviously Mobipocket is the format you'll want to check for the Gen3 and Sony's BBeB for the PRS505.

You can find Mobipocket books in a lot of places, but for BBeB, you'll need to check Sony's store and Fictionwise (they sell some of their titles in LRF, which is the unencrypted variant of BBeB).

If you're willing to do some conversion, .LIT (Microsoft Reader format) can be converted to either format pretty easily, and it's very widely available.

I'd suggest you also have a look at the discussions in the "Which one should I buy" subforum here, there's a lot of good comparitive discussion there.

That should get you started, anyway, but do ask specific questions that you don't find the answers to.

The important bit is that you find a device that works for what you need, and the research you're doing is a very good start on that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Frankly, now that I've actually had my hands on all three of the Cybook Gen 3, the Sony Reader PRS-500, and the Sony Reader PRS-505, I'd have to admit that I'd probably go with one of the Sony's, if I had to make the choice all over again. And that's despite the fact that, being in Canada, I'd have a heck of a time using the Sony warranty if it was necessary.

For someone who actually lives in the US so that the Reader's warranty is easily usable, it seems like an even more clear-cut choice. The Sony Readers are considerably cheaper, have a much more satisfying and solid "feel", and include the cover, all at a price lower than that of the Cybook sans cover. The buttons on the Sony feel sturdier and, ergonomically, both the 500 and 505 seem marginally more comfortable than the Cybook, especially for page turning. The buttons also seem to be more responsive - maybe too much so, however, if you have a heavy touch.

As far as title availability goes, check the MS Reader (.lit) formats rather than either the Sony-specific or the Mobipocket (for the Cybook). Even though the Cybook supports DRM'ed Mobipocket, I buy .lit if at all possible and convert, for the sake of future flexibility and access to my purchases. It would be equally easy to do so for the Reader. Until the publishing industry gets their collective heads out of their you-know-wheres and supports a unified standard for DRM'ed files - one which is not dependent on an outside server - or gets really smart and brave and offers everything as multi-format or *gasp* DRM-free, you may as well resign yourself to having to convert everything you buy unless you want to take a chance on it being inaccessible to your future ebook reading devices.

Theoretically, if your local library offers Overdrive ebooks for loan, the Cybook works. In practice, results may vary and certainly won't be entirely satisfactory until Bookeen gets around to fixing a few bugs in the firmware. Unless and until there's a genuine fix, you might just as well count on Sony issuing a firmware update that would allow the Reader to handle Overdrive's library-loan PDFs.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My recommendation would be for the Gen3, for a number of reasons:

1. The Gen3 has dictionary support; the Sony doesn't. I find this EXTREMELY useful.
2. If you live outside the US, you effectively buy a Sony with no warranty. The Gen3 has a world-wide warranty.
3. The Gen3 allows you to load your own fonts, and view any book in any font and at any size that you wish. The fonts and sizes are much more restrictive with the Sony.

However, both are excellent machines - I'm sure you'd be happy with either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing to note, if you live in the USA, you'll get better support with the 505.

But if you live outside the USA and English is not your primary language, you may find the use the the dictionary worth getting a Gen3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #6
gratin3
gratin3 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
I want to thank everyone who replied with their comments it so appreciated. I am looking forward to meeting lots of people on this forum! I pretty much decided I am going to get the sony I just want to see if I can get one locally I have many borders stores and a sony store nearby so I am going to call them tomorrow. Thanks again and looking forward to much more chatting. Gracie
gratin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think you'll really enjoy your new 505 (once you get it) and if you need or want any help, MobileRead is the place to be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote