Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Posting Milestones (by request)

Note: By request, I've changed this thread into a place for folks to mark milestones in their posting "lives" -- it's just something to have fun with. — NatCh

Today marks one year since my first post here at MobileRead, and this is my 2,000th post, so I figure that it might be a good time to finally do the "Introduce Yourself" thing.

It's been a quite a ride since I ran across MR while randomly Googling for e-ink and e-reader information. In fact, that search brought me not just here, but also to the first information I'd seen (which was here, as it happens ) on the iLiad, Sony Reader, and the HanLin devices. Then the discussion was about how to survive the anticipation leading up to their planned release dates and of course, rampant speculation (mixed with a few facts) about what exactly each might do, and how much they might cost.

Now look at us! We've got 'em, we're hacking 'em, and we're still screaming for more.

Anyway, on to the introduction stuff. As you can see from my location entry, I'm a Citizen of the Republic of Texas (spent most of my life here, actually). I'm a graduate of Texas A&M University (Did you hear about the Aggie that was so dumb the others noticed?), with a degree in Electronics Engineering Technology. My first job was with Applied Materials, a semi-conductor capital equipment manufacturer that very few folks outside of that industry have ever heard of -- they make the machines that put the magic smoke in computer chips. Now I'm an application developer for the Number 1 or Number 2 (depending on the year) cancer research institution in the world, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, which I enjoy most days, and I don't have to wonder if what I'm doing is making the world a better place or not -- between those two things I can't ask for a much better situation.

I guess that's long enough for me to feel like I've done something suitable for such an auspicious occasion, so I'll not make this any longer than it already is.

Thanks to Alexander for making such a marvelous spot on the web, and to all the Editors and MobileReaders for keeping it such an interesting, informative, and pleasant thing to be a part of.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
CLIEGURU
CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CLIEGURU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CLIE UX50
Thumbs up Welcome

NatCh,

I just wanted to say Thank you for all of your help here. This year has been very confusing with all the devices and you have done a great job informing all of us about the various options we have. Thanks again and keep up the great work!
CLIEGURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
<Robot Bob>Welcome to MobileRead NatCh! I'm sure you'll find some awesome resources here. If you love e-books, you see some great information. Especially about the new Sony Reader e-ink device. It's pretty cool. You should check it out. There's even a really great review from some guy that saw one in person before they were officially released. That guy has some really great follow-up insights on all kinds of related topics also, plus a lot of knowledge about the Reader itself.

<Real Bob> Just kidding. Congrats, buddy, on such a spectacular first year! We're all very blessed to have you around, and you add so much to the forums. Look forward to your thoughts and input in the years to come! And here comes some karma from me also... this is definitely a milestone worth a little celebration!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Oh! That's why you were'nt writing as much these days... wanted to keep number 2000 for the big day!
Congrats friend, your voice is one of kindness, integrity and wisdom... for such a young age
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gosh, y'all are making me blush!
Advert
Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quit blushing. You -- along with several other posters, mods, editors, and a founder -- are the reason I stayed around. Sure its only been a few months but I have a better enjoyment of my Sony Reader because of the people and posts here.

MobileRead is an active, friendly, and informative community and you have helped to make it that way.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:42 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nat, keep up the good work.

Btw, it's your "fault" that I bought the Sony Reader. When I read your and Bob's review, I knew I had to get one.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Wow, it took me a whole year to get to 2000 posts, and about 2.5 months to get to 3000. Clearly this MobileRead stuff is addictive.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is addictive friend.

My relationship with you is one of the biggest reasons for being here.

You're a decent guy Nathan!

Yvan
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Smile Post #6000

I return to this thread for my 6000th post, and find that it frightens me a bit to see that I've posted twice as many messages in the last 8 months and 11 days than did in the preceding year.

I wanted to do something grand and sweeping for my 6000th post, but ... I got nuthin' -- so what can I do but go for inane and cheesy?

Anyway, here we are, a new Sony model, and (almost) two entirely new players in the e-ink scene with Cybook Gen3 and the still, as yet, mythical Kindle. Still very exciting times.

Okay, back to my usual nattering about things people would otherwise be interested in!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Congratulations.

This calls for a party and dancing

We'd do the wave and jump up and down for the cowboy from Texas

If I wore one I'd even tip my hat.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Way to go buddy!

If you had to put a price on all that time, what would it be?
Frightening thought is it?
Let me repeat post #9 and add that without you and Bob, I would have left a long time ago.

You bring something else here that's decent, kind and always interesting.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If you had to put a price on all that time, what would it be?
Heh, depends on whether you mean what I put into it or what i got out of it — on balance, I'd say I'm coming out ahead.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Heh, depends on whether you mean what I put into it or what i got out of it — on balance, I'd say I'm coming out ahead.
That is a real pretty thought!

Initially I was thinking in a per/hour price. Friendships are much much more worth it!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Well coming to think of it, I'll use this thread too as a celebration for my 2000th post.
I had a plan of writing this thread that flopped because it was impossible to realise its main subject.
I wanted to format books up side down. This way it would have been possible to use controls with the device inverted. A quite comfortable proposition if you try it, you control with your thumbs on top while the reader is well supported in the middle of your hands.
First, Word refuses you to flip text upside down, but it allows it sideways if text is selected from a text box. I'm not too sure the reader would allow that though.
Second I doubt that reader software would comprehend upside down characters!

Hey guys! why not use this thread as a milestone?

Yvan