Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Considering my options - Experimental series and reader feedback

Ok, I'm considering doing something I haven't done in a while, and I'm looking for input on this, both in the area of "should I do it", and "who will help me." Namely, I'm considering doing another experimental series to try and improve my writing skills, by spreading out into another writing style and subject matter than I'm not totally familiar with, nor familiar/comfortable writing in.

I think it's an area I need to expand out into, as it'll help further improve my writing, but I need feedback and critique from readers and fellow writers if I'm going to do it. What makes it so difficult for me, at least in my eyes, is the heavy social issues discussed in the book.

So here's my offer. I'll write this experimental novel (currently the one I have picked is called "The Machine Cycle") and release it one chapter a week until it's finished, and if something needs revamping, I'm open to going back and redoing things to improve or make this work. As this work will be released for free, the only payment I require from those reading it is that you go through each chapter as it's released, and maybe periodically look back at the story and how it's progressed, and give me critiques on how I'm doing, both chapter and story wise.

If I get 10, maybe 20 people willing to help me out, I'll do this. That way you guys get a free book, and I get some more experience which will ultimately allow me to write better books, which you in turn will benefit from. So, anyone interested? And ultimately, should I do it? I know I've done it before, but that was before I was published.

Oh, and PS. I'll be releasing this primarily online in HTML format, but I will also be releasing rough formatted ebook chapters (epub) as well for those who prefer to read them on their ebook readers.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 07-15-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, so far I've had two people who are actually liked this idea, and encouraged me to try it. (they're from another forum) They've also agreed to help me by reading and critiquing the chapters to this book as I write them. Anyone else interested?
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:07 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Me? Hurt animals? HAHA! No way. Normally it's the other way around. Just ask my cat. I've got the scars to prove it. ^_^;;

But seriously, I grew up on a farm, so I'm very kind to animals. In fact, I give them a very special place in quite a few of my books.

Oh, and on a side note, I now have a feedback form in case someone wants to submit feedback or comments directly (and anonymously) to me: http://www.realmsofimagination.net/feedback/
Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I would love to help with this project.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

EDIT: Chapter removed. I'm going to be rethinking which book I actually want to write and post that when I'm ready.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 09-04-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Brandon Sanderson actually suggests that all authors with the time do this. He calls it "cleansing the palette." If you write strictly SF, try a Fantasy or a Mystery or a Romance. Or do a children's book. Do something "not you" to keep yourself sharp.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Yeah, I've got a couple on the plate that should help in that. I've got one idea I'm picking at that's got sci-fi elements, but it is more along the lines of Clive Cussler meets Dan Brown meets Tom Clancy. It should be fun.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Have you considered running the story through a critique group or site like critiquecircle.com? Nothing like a bunch of readers/writers in a genre to tell you what works, especially if it's not your usual thing.

I'd like to write a mystery or thriller some day. Since I'm only a reader in those genres, I'll rely heavily on critiquers in the genre to help me avoid the common noob pitfalls.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

I currently don't have any critique groups except some close friends. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Steven, you might want to visit The Friday Challenge, because we keep an online dropbox specifically for authors wanting "writer's group"-style critique. Honest feedback is guaranteed, from actual writers.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #12
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Thanks Vintage!