Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
World’s Craziest Laws

A collection of some strange and absurd laws that exist/existed in different parts of the world.
  1. If you were posting a letter in England and put the stamp (with the picture of the Queen) up side-down, you’d be committing an act of treason.
  2. In Arkansas, a man is legally allowed to beat his wife only once a month.
  3. In Florida it is forbidden for any woman to parachute on Sunday afternoons unless she is married.
  4. In France you could be put in prison for naming a pig Napoleon.
  5. In Iowa, it is forbidden for any kiss to last more than 5 minutes.
  6. In Nova Scotia, Canada, you’re not allowed to water your lawn when it is raining.
  7. In England, committing suicide is punishable by death.
  8. In Denmark, you legally have to check under your car for children asleep before you start it.
  9. In Alabama it is against the law for a person to drive whilst blindfolded.
  10. In Israel it is illegal to pick your nose on a Saturday.
  11. In Saudi Arabia, it is forbidden for a woman to drive a car.
  12. In Singapore, if you are caught littering three times, you’re made to clean the streets on Sundays wearing a banner that says, “I am a litter bug.” A picture of you is then put on the local news.
  13. In Indonesia you could be decapitated if found masturbating.
  14. England-A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.
  15. San Salvador-Drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.
  16. Iceland-It's against the law to blow on lampposts.
  17. Singapore-It’s illegal to sell bubblegum in Singapore.
  18. Thailand-It is illegal to leave your house if you are not wearing underwear.
  19. Israel-Picking your nose on Saturday is forbidden.
  20. Saudi Arabia-It is illegal to kiss a stranger.
  21. In England, in 1837, if a man kissed a woman against her will, she could legally bite off his nose.
  22. Due to lack of pants, Donald Duck cartoons were banned in Finland. (No nude work day!)
  23. In Seville, Spain, in 1983, a German Sheppard was arrested for stealing women's handbags.

Last edited by Javed; 02-02-2010 at 06:23 AM. Reason: typo
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
bilalamjad3
bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
thanks for lot of information source.
bilalamjad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Javed,

Where did you get this rubbish from?

The reason I say that it's rubbish is that your first "law" is completely untrue, has no basis in fact, and never has. So it's safe to assume that applies to the other 22 as well.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
It may be true, it may not, who'd notice.

Our friends across the big pond, however, are pretty strict when it comes to those things:
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/07/11-0
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
In Alaska it's illegal to throw a moose out of a moving airplane and somewhere else I didn't catch said it was illegal to molest a butterfly
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
England-A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

haha

Im taking my pregnant wife on vacation.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
For number 23 it was probably one of these:

and not one of these:

dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
[*]San Salvador-Drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.
I think they should implement this worldwide...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think they should implement this worldwide...
But then I couldn't chat with all of you fine folks, I'd be screaming up at you from "down there."
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Murphy's Law is another crazy law; one that applies world-wide, and has been in effect for as long as anyone can remember.

I don't know what idiot assemblage passed such a stupid law in the first place, but I've been on a committee that's been fighting for years to have it repealed, to no avail.

I think we'd have better luck repealing the law of gravity.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
oh my gosh! the forum software has revived!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
QFT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Murphy's Law is another crazy law; one that applies world-wide, and has been in effect for as long as anyone can remember.

I don't know what idiot assemblage passed such a stupid law in the first place, but I've been on a committee that's been fighting for years to have it repealed, to no avail.

I think we'd have better luck repealing the law of gravity.
Thanks for your reply Lady Blue; this has made my day!! I thought you were in another dimension. Nice to meet you!

Who was Murphy anyway? Maybe something larger than an apple fell on his/her head the day that law was created!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
A collection of some strange and absurd laws that exist/existed in different parts of the world.

* If you were posting a letter in England and put the stamp (with the picture of the Queen) up side-down, you’d be committing an act of treason.
In the U.S., or at least where I live, an upside-down stamp means "I love you" and traditionally adorns love letters.

Quote:
* In England, committing suicide is punishable by death.
That'll teach 'em!

Quote:
* In Indonesia you could be decapitated if found masturbating.
I once knew a man who was arrested for masturbating. To me, such laws are absurd. None of the other folks on the bus complained.

Quote:
* Due to lack of pants, Donald Duck cartoons were banned in Finland. (No nude work day!)
True story (unlike the masturbation thing I just mentioned):

As part of the settlement of a copyright infringement suit Disney Studios launched against Marvel Comics, Howard the Duck (who admittedly looks a LOT like Donald Duck), is now legally required to wear pants.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-02-2010 at 02:46 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Lady Blue; this has made my day!! I thought you were in another dimension. Nice to meet you!

Who was Murphy anyway? Maybe something larger than an apple fell on his/her head the day that law was created!

I'm often in another dimension, but I'm in this one for now. Nice to meet you too.

Not sure if you're being facetious about Murphy or not, so in case you're serious to any degree . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

and if you ARE joking, then . . .
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Javed,
Where did you get this rubbish from?
The reason I say that it's rubbish is that your first "law" is completely untrue, has no basis in fact, and never has.
Well, according to the BBC:

"Among the most ridiculous laws listed by UKTV Gold were:

It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)

It could be regarded an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down (7%)"
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote