Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Double-Triple Charged for Whispernet Delivery

Just ranting here. I recently sent myself a document via Whispernet and not only was I charged the "new" per-megabyte rate of $0.30 but I was also double charged for the transaction, and the document was sent twice!

I went back and looked through all my email from Amazon, and I realized I have never been officially notified of the price increase. Sure I read about it here and other places, but nobody said when it would start.

I'm peeved about the charges being increased, and doubly peeved that I was charged twice because the service doesn't work properly. So I decided that every time there's a problem with the Whispernet, I'm going to call support and take up at least 5 minutes of their time. I figure that will offset any profits they'll make from the new prices for Whispernet delivery, and they'll have to rethink the policy.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Wasn't it on the Kindle daily blog? Not that I would consider that notice. I have sent myself a Word doc since the new policy but I haven't seen a charge. Yet.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
Wasn't it on the Kindle daily blog? Not that I would consider that notice. I have sent myself a Word doc since the new policy but I haven't seen a charge. Yet.
The policy changed on May 4. I sent a doc to myself yesterday and was charged 15 cents immediately. No waiting for an accumulated total before being charged. I won't be doing that again unless it's dire emergency.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If you were charged $0.30, then I suspect it was over 1 MB in size.

If you were charged twice, then that is indeed something they need to correct.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The policy changed on May 4. I sent a doc to myself yesterday and was charged 15 cents immediately. No waiting for an accumulated total before being charged. I won't be doing that again unless it's dire emergency.
At the end of the day, you're paying for a service. It would probably be worth 15c to me if it saved me 5 minutes in copying the file manually, but obviously there are people to whom the time saving isn't worth paying 15c for. It's down to personal choice.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-21-2009 at 05:14 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
At the end of the day, you're paying for a service. It would probably be worth 15c to me if it saved me 5 minutes in copying the file manually, but obviously there are people to whom the time saving isn't worth paying 15c for. It's down to personal choice.
I could have easily connected my USB cable to do the transfer but I was too lazy and it would have been about the same amount of time as emailing it to my Kindle. If they were waiting until I had a total of $3 (or whatever like they used to), I would still use it. I don't like my credit card getting hit with a bunch of tiny charges. I remember some folks had problems with multiple 1 cent book charges tripping fraud alerts on their credit cards and I don't want to run into the same issues.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
If you were charged $0.30, then I suspect it was over 1 MB in size.
Yes, it was 1.23 megs. But that's not the point; they increased the fees and what was $0.10 when I bought the K2 just a few months ago is now 300% more expensive, and then they double charged me.

Is $0.60 or even $0.30 going to break me? Certainly not. And I would probably only do it twice a month, so even over the course of a year it's still going to be less than $10. It is going to make me use the Whispernet less though, and that's going to make the reason for having a Kindle in the first place a lot less appealing, and that's going to mean that I recommend other ebook readers to my friends if they're not going to be getting a subscription to a newspaper.

I suspect that one reason for this increased charge is Calibre. That program is an incredibly useful one for delivering periodical content to the Kindle - so much so that Kovid probably broke Amazon's business model. I'm not blaming Kovid - his work is fantastic. But I'm sure the folks at Amazon don't appreciate it as much as I do.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I suspect that one reason for this increased charge is Calibre. That program is an incredibly useful one for delivering periodical content to the Kindle - so much so that Kovid probably broke Amazon's business model. I'm not blaming Kovid - his work is fantastic. But I'm sure the folks at Amazon don't appreciate it as much as I do.
I doubt calibre is even a blip on Amazon's radar. On average people do not do that much research. I doubt more then 2% of Kindle users have ever heard of MobileRead. I would say this is no more then typical business, increasing rates as they see fit. Either that their costs with partners have increased, or they misjudged the return they'd see on that aspect, or they are just being greedy and know they can get away with it.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it was 1.23 megs. But that's not the point; they increased the fees and what was $0.10 when I bought the K2 just a few months ago is now 300% more expensive, and then they double charged me.
If it used to cost 10c, and it now costs 30c, it's actually only 200% more expensive, not 300% .
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
If it used to cost 10c, and it now costs 30c, it's actually only 200% more expensive, not 300% .
It never actually cost 10 cents. Amazon, as far as I've been able to tell, never charged anyone at the 10 cent rate. So it was free before. Now they are charging.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I doubt calibre is even a blip on Amazon's radar. On average people do not do that much research. I doubt more then 2% of Kindle users have ever heard of MobileRead. I would say this is no more then typical business, increasing rates as they see fit. Either that their costs with partners have increased, or they misjudged the return they'd see on that aspect, or they are just being greedy and know they can get away with it.

-MJ
KindleFIX and KindlePID were also a blip on Amazon's radar until *someone* made it a big deal. Maybe that same or another *someone* has made Amazon aware of how Calibre allows Kindle owners to bypass their subscription model and Amazon is trying to get at least *some* money from its use on their Whispernet network.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u
It never actually cost 10 cents. Amazon, as far as I've been able to tell, never charged anyone at the 10 cent rate. So it was free before. Now they are charging.
Also a good point.

I guess I should have said that they advertised that they charged $0.10 when I bought it, then raised the price to 300% of the original price.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:46 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I thought that they charged you when the total reached a certain amount. $3, was it?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I thought that they charged you when the total reached a certain amount. $3, was it?
They were supposed to but they never did.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:

I guess I should have said that they advertised that they charged $0.10 when I bought it, then raised the price to 300% of the original price.
Citing an arbitrary percentage increase is not particularly valid nor helpful, since it will vary dramatically, depending on the amount of data you are sending.

For example, a 1MB file will now cost 15 cents instead of 10. That's just a 50% increase in cost.

An 8MB file will now cost $1.20 instead of 10 cents. That's a 1200% increase in cost. WOW.

Yet, in both of these examples, the actual cost of the data transfer is exactly the same -- 15 cents/MB. Hmmmm. So, it looks like the more data we send, the more it will cost. That makes sense to me.

The bottom line is that this is a completely optional service that is not necessary to ever use. They shipped our Kindles with a handy USB cable. I use it regularly. Never pay a dime (or 15 cents) to Amazon for getting content to it.

And if we choose to use their service, 15 cents/MB is not an unreasonable charge by any stretch of the imagination.

Furthermore, Amazon will still convert your PDF and DOC files to AZW for free.

There must be more serious Kindle issues to get riled up about, aren't there?

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote