Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is the iLiad touch screen?

Hi I wonder if the iLiad is touch screen or not? So you can write on it with the stylus as you are reading right?

is the wifi really necessary?
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
herbalist
Enthusiast
herbalist began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770, Irex Iliad
It is not a real touch screen like the iphone, you have to use the wacom stylus. Yes it is possible to write on the pdf files (i haven't tried writing on other format).

As for the wifi, I've only used it a couple of times for firmware updates - that's it. It is a nice feature but not necessary at all.

The iliad is a good device for reading but before buying, do consider that 1) no more firmware updates from Irex; 2) if battery life is good sufficient.
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi herbalist,

so what is the battery life of the iLiad? What is the firmware things?

Have you tried to use it to read technical papers which have a lot of equations and diagrams? Are they readable in not too small size?

Thanks
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
herbalist
Enthusiast
herbalist began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770, Irex Iliad
I have a v1, the battery life is more like 8-9 hours per charge. Iliad v2 has a larger battery pack and I think battery life is more like 14-15 hours (pls double check).

Irex is a small company so they have decided to devote themselves to DR1000. No more firmware update means Iliad users cannot expect new functionality, bugfixes (??) etc from the company.

I have not read any technical papers on mine but mangas I do read a lot. They display just fine. If your original documents are big letter sized, you will have probably have to use the zoom function. There are users who use their iliads for technical papers, check under the general section of the iliad forum for their feedback. That's the best.
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
It's a touch screen with the stylus. Yes, you can write on it while you are reading.

I use the wifi frequently, that's my main way to transfer books back and forth between it and my PC. I also used the wifi for updates, etc. All of that can be done without the wireless as well, though. It's mostly a convenience/preference thing.

The battery life of the "older" iLiads is around 12 hours, the current generation (the v2 and the Book Edition) get around 15 hours. Those times are assuming you're just reading with it. Using the stylus as well as using memory cards take more power, so results vary depending on your usage.

The current firmware is 2.12 (2.12.1 for the Book Edition). iRex has said that they do not plan on any new features, but they have opened sourced most of the code and there are developers on here working on new applications, improvements, etc.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert