Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-03-2004, 05:51 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
New York Public Library serves e-books

Teleread has a quick write up of the new OverDrive-powered e-book section at New York Public Library's web site:

OverDrive and the New York Public Library are off to a nice start with a colorful, polished and informative home page for e-book readers, as well as a guidance for newbies. Let's hope that clumsy DRM and the format wars don't get in the way. NYPL, like other OverDrive clients, uses a mix of Adobe and Mobipocket. On handhelds, Mobipocket is the best-looking of the major commercial e-book formats.

This is great news because it means that even old, established book suppliers such as the New York Public Library are finally becoming aware of the great potentials of e-books.

Btw, can anyone confirm that Mobipocket ranks #1 among handheld e-book suppliers? Somehow I always thought that eReader was in the lead.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I can't confirm that, but Mobipocket does appear to be the platform of choice for all the libraries I've checked out yet. eLibraries might do a lot for Mobipocket sales, potentially.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Now if I could just get a library card there!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:06 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I'd say they're even less like to give a membership to an Australian....

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:44 AM   #5
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
Now if I could just get a library card there!
LOL, I was thinking the same!
I think we have a chance (even Australians and Mexicans):
Quote:
A Branch Libraries' card is free to anyone who lives, works, pays property taxes, or attends school in New York State. Others may apply, with payment of a $100 annual fee, for a nonresident library card.
A know it's a hundred bucks, but still we have a chance.

My guess of how this works is this:
you submit your hotsync name (or whatever ID mobipocket uses), and you can open the book until the lending period expires.
Am I a genius or what? LOL! My point is that a lot of DRM is involved. A fair use of DRM if you ask me.
Anyway, I do prefer eReaderp and I think they can still make an effort to reach public libraries.

Last edited by Francesco; 11-04-2004 at 02:48 AM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2004, 09:02 AM   #6
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
I live in NYC and this is interesting but my local library in queens...Queensboro Public Library has had ebooks for awhile now. Don't know what format they use. I don't want to have to change ebook readers in order to read ebooks.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote