Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast
aldomenguzzi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle PaperWhite, what hardware specs,what OS?

Hello,

I was thinking about getting a Kindle PaperWhite since I cand read much more than with a tablet, but I was wondering how "powerful" it is and how easily it can be jailbroken.
The reason being that I use a wonderful piece of software called Qiqqa to study and would like to have it on the Kindle, whether it be the android version or the linux one, but I am not sure paperwhite would be able to handle it.
In case are there other programs that would at least allow me to underline parts of text and tag them?
Cheers,

Aldous
aldomenguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The Paperwhite does not use Android Apps. However, sometime in the future there will probably be active content apps available just like on the Kindle Kbd WiFi.

One can now highlight passages in eBooks on the PW and make notes. All the highlights and notes are availabe for modification and review here:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights

I find the PW the best reading device at the moment offered by Amazon.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast

Thanks for the super fast reply!
It would be cool if Qiqqa had the option of importing the amazon notes! I will suggest the thing to the developer.
All the best,

Aldous
Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
The kindle's underlying OS is linux, bt you may have a hard time getting it to work... I would recommend asking this question the the Kindle Developer's corner.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldomenguzzi View Post
Hello,

I was thinking about getting a Kindle PaperWhite since I cand read much more than with a tablet, but I was wondering how "powerful" it is and how easily it can be jailbroken.
The reason being that I use a wonderful piece of software called Qiqqa to study and would like to have it on the Kindle, whether it be the android version or the linux one, but I am not sure paperwhite would be able to handle it.
In case are there other programs that would at least allow me to underline parts of text and tag them?
Cheers,

Aldous
What you want is a Sony T1, it runs on Android and when rooted you can add apps to it...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Nook Simple Touch (or Glowlight) is probably a better candidate for rooting. It has a miniSD slot for storage expansion, and the process is well established. It will run a number of Android apps.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, definitely I will look into the Nook and the Sony T1/2
Cheers
Old 10-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My Paperwhite comes with:
ARMv7 Processor rev. 5
i.MX50 Rev. 1.1
256 MB RAM
MX50 YOSHIME Board,
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast

Thanks for the specifications and sorry for the late reply.
I am wondering how the Kobo Glo is compared to the other tablets mentioned.
I am really going to buy soon, but I am a bit unsure on what best suits my needs.
All the best,

Aldo
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Kobo Glow specs
Size 114 x 157 x 10 mm (4.5 x 6.2 x 0.39 in)
Weight 185 g (6.5 oz)
Processor 1 GHz
Display 6" E Ink XGA Pearl screen; 1024x758 resolution; 16-level grey scale
Light Built-in ComfortLight technology with micro-thin hard coating for durability and even light distribution
Screen Responsive touchscreen for glare-free, fingerprint-resistant reading
Buttons Power on/off, light on/off
Connectivity Wi Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Micro USB
Storage 2 GB*
Option to expand up to 32 GB with a Micro SD card
Battery 1 month**
Up to 70 hours of continuous usage with ComfortLight on.***
Colours Black Night. Pink Sunset. Blue Moon. Silver Star.
Each featuring Kobo‘s signature soft quilted back
*1 GB available to store content (over 1,000 eBooks).
** Based on reading 30 minutes per day, turning 1 page per minute, with ComfortLight turned on OR off.
*** Based on an average and comfortable ComfortLight brightness of 15 – 20%.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast

wow, superfast reply.
Indeed the Kobo Glow loos it's the best, but can it be rooted to add some other android apps such as Qiqqa etc?
Cheers

Tags
jailbreak, kindle, paperwhite, qiqqa