Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #91
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Great work! Especially the links and indexing.

A couple of little things. In Windows 7-64.

Random blocks of txt are sometimes getting highlighted. They aren't getting selected - typing something else doesn't replace them. But it's confusing.

In Search/Replace sometimes the Replace field refuses to accept new input - the previous data persists.

I appreciate these are vague reports. Are the issues known, or do you want me to try to pin them down more rigorously?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #92
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@exaltedwombat - the "random blocks of text" - the only issue I am aware of is discussed earlier in this thread happens in BookView and is a Webkit bug, nothing we can do about. If you for instance paste into Book View, then immediately hit the space bar, it will visually highlight until the end of the current line (turning into the end of the block if you resize the window). It isn't an active "selection", it is just a visual thing. Make a new selection with your mouse that starts before the text, drag down over the top of the phantom selection and back again, like an etch a sketch it magically disappears. Is this the issue you describe?

As for the Replace field, certainly I have never seen nor heard of any behaviour like that in the hundreds+ of replace operations I have done. So please by all means try to isolate down exactly the steps to reproduce it.
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #93
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
One oddity I don't remember being mentioned is that if you delete a section, the book browser shows you on the next section after, while the BV display and its tabs show you correctly that you have gone back to the one before.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #94
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Saw the index function, great! Very easy in usage. Not that I will use it that much, but still...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #95
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
One oddity I don't remember being mentioned is that if you delete a section, the book browser shows you on the next section after, while the BV display and its tabs show you correctly that you have gone back to the one before.
Well spotted, never noticed that . It is a side effect of removing something else, if meme hasn't fixed it already it will be done for the next build.

Edit: Actually thinking about it over lunch, it isn't quite that simple, we have conflicting behaviours. Personally I like it the way it is now. Otherwise if the only tab you had open was the first in the book, and you are doing some deletes at the bottom of a very long list in the book browser, selection keeps jumping to the top. That gets very annoying very quickly. I think if you have clicked in and are doing operations in the book browser, selection should stay relative to where you did that operation. If you are doing operations in tabs, then yes the book browser will synchronise to show. But there does not have to be a permanent 1:1 relationship between what selection is in the book browser versus what tab is showing - it isn't single click selection to open a tab, it is double click.

Last edited by kiwidude; 09-27-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #96
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This was from doing an operation in the book browser. I have been working on some material from hyperwar which has a graphic (the same one) at the head of every chapter. I don't want to waste my screen real estate on it and after running the HTML through calibre, I have this graphic in a separate section as many times as there are chapters. I may try adding chapters in Sigil to accomplish the same thing, but I wasn't feeling adventurous at the time.

Since I am editing downward, I get to the end of the chapter, start with the new blank one, delete it and want to go on down to the real start of the chapter. Going backward in book view is a little disorienting for me. (Like the fella that got lost around a rotary (roundabout, I guess it might be in the UK), haven't I seen that statue somewhere before.)

This is not intended by way to being argumentative, just an illustration how I use it. It almost seems like it would be useful to be able to pull out the book browser if you have multiple things to do in in, do them, then plug it back in. This could leave the 1:1 correspondence most of the time, but disconnect it when it is useful, along the lines of what you have done with the correctly formed text.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #97
kiwidude

@mrmikel - I'm clearly missing something. It sounds to me like you want to edit "every second" file in the book browser, deleting the ones in between, is that right?

i.e. the book browser has something like:

ImagePage1.html
ChapterPage1.html
ImagePage2.html
ChapterPage2.html

And you are working down top to bottom, right? What I don't understand is you say it is selecting the "previous" file, which it doesn't for me, it selects the next one? So if I delete ImagePage2.html, selection ends up on ChapterPage2.html, being the next file? If I want to open it I hit Enter, if I want to delete that too I hit Del. I don't understand where this doesn't fit with what you are wanting to do?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #98
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Serpentine - was it you that raised issue 1605 then? Because we can't do anything without an actual example ePub that has the issue so we can try to replicate it?
I didn't open the ticket
I'm busy looking at the diff now, I'll have a look at making a simplified example when I figure out what causes it, shouldn't take too long.

Little note : It doesn't actually crash, it just fails to load the file.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #99
mrmikel
Color me gone

I finish working on one section. I select the next, delete it. What shows in the book browser is the one after the deleted one, what shows in BV is the one before the one that was deleted. You have to click on it in book browser to show it, which is how it has always worked, now that I think about it.

I guess I wish whatever is highlighted is what is displayed, but it would stand in the way of doing bulk actions in the book browser (not something I personally do much, though I can imagine someone else doing it.) That was why the thought of unplugging it to do bulk actions and plugging it back to give concurrence between what is listed in the browser with what is displayed in book view.

But this is all just quibbling. Your mileage does vary from mine...no surprise and others probably put Sigil to more of a test than I do in terms of bulk actions, etc.

I want to delete every third one (deleted graphic, text, footnotes is the pattern), but I don't have confidence in the material to do it without displaying each one one at a time before I do it. It is just that what is highlighted over there does not mean it is the one displayed. I guess I need to adjust my workflow to look up rather than to the side.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #100
kiwidude

@serpentine - the sooner the better to give us a chance to fix it before the next beta release. Don't worry about diagnosing it yourself just send it through and we can all do it in parallel. If it doesn't happen for us with the whole file a smaller one won't help .

@mrmikel - thanks, I understand now. I don't see an easy solution to keep everyone happy. Sigil 0.5.3 had a behaviour we deliberately removed for 0.6 where it used to open the next file after a delete. It (a) drove me insane (it was like playing whack-a-mole) and (b) happened to be the cause of one of the most common crashes in 0.5.3 on Windows. Just hit Enter after you do a delete, and your next tab will open, job done
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #101
mrmikel
Color me gone

Thank you very much. Since my hands are on the keyboard for the delete anyway usually, enter is no problem!

Has they been any discussion of assignable hot keys? In the work I am doing right now, I am doing space then delete over and over again. It is not that hard, but a single keystroke would be nice since I could have one hand on the mouse to position and the other over F7 (apparently the only unassigned F key).

Ack! It doesn't work, at least when I just tried it. I click in the confirmation box and then enter does not work to bring up the next one. I will try using the keyboard and enter in the confirmation box and see if that keeps the focus on the browser.

Last edited by mrmikel; 09-27-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Tested and doesn't work.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #102
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@serpentine - the sooner the better to give us a chance to fix it before the next beta release. Don't worry about diagnosing it yourself just send it through and we can all do it in parallel.
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt being stupid, but it really does seem to be something relating the the archive itself, tho it is not corrupt or using any newer zip stuff. Recreating the archive fixes the problem... Hmmm.

Sending the PM now.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #103
kiwidude

@mrmikel - sorry, you are quite right. Focus after the delete moves to the open tab. You would have to click back in the book browser and then hit Enter, which you may as well double click for. Ok, instead of enter, hit Alt+Page Down

Assignable keys? You can overwrite any of the shortcuts that come with Sigil to your own purposes, I change a number of them to meet my personal needs. The new keyboard shortcut dialog should hopefully make that easier to use, the last version always had me wondering what clear versus reset did etc.

Or by assignable keys do you mean macro combinations? In which case the answer is no discussion I have ever heard mentioned of.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #104
kiwidude

@Serpentine - thanks for the PM, I can confirm I get the same error message. We will take a look into it.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #105
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@kiwidude
Macro keys
I currently use the 6 programmable buttons on my 'Expert Mouse' for common multi-keystroke operations in sigil. Unfortunately, this only works when Windows is the OS.
I was thinking of using a specialty, POS keyboard that actually allows the values to be programed into the keyboard, making it OS independent (once programed)

Having a Record-Keystrokes to (macro)#, Use-Macro# would be
Closed Thread