Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
page numbers on kindle touch?

Hi all I am the proud owner of a kindle touch. I have to admit that I really dislike the location function, I never really get a feel for where I am in the book. Anyway I downloaded the kindle app for pc and started reading a book. I see page numbers on the bottom of my screen along with location and percent. However I only see location on the same book on the kindle touch, no page numbers. I though I read page numbers were now supported on the kindle touch. So what gives? How come the free pc app has the pages but my $150 kindle does not appear to have this functionality? Or is it there and I just have not figured out how to enable it?

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by bluerfoot; 12-14-2011 at 10:09 AM.
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
When you are in a book, tap the top of the screen to bring up the menu bar. When the menu bar is up, the page number will be displayed at the bottom of the page.

I agree locations are useless. If a book doesn't have page numbers, I will go by percentage done. That can be misleading though if the back of the book has a appendix, or a preview of the next book, etc. I just finished a book where the actual content was done at 88%, haha.

EDIT: I think locations are mainly used for whispersync to get an exact spot in the book.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
When you are in a book, tap the top of the screen to bring up the menu bar. When the menu bar is up, the page number will be displayed at the bottom of the page.

I agree locations are useless. If a book doesn't have page numbers, I will go by percentage done. That can be misleading though if the back of the book has a appendix, or a preview of the next book, etc. I just finished a book where the actual content was done at 88%, haha.

EDIT: I think locations are mainly used for whispersync to get an exact spot in the book.
Thanks, thing is I tried that and it did not display page numbers. I tap on the top of the screen and no page number appears. but for certain it is there on the bottom of the kindle pc screen. hmmm...

hate hate hate location, why can't they just say we were wrong, most people don't like it and do away with it?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
People, as a rule, don't like change. Like using the metric system vs. English measurements.

Myself, I prefer the locations. They are far more precise.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
My guess is that it's not a book purchased directly from Amazon? All the books I bought from amazon has the page # as well as the location info.
Make sure you have the APNX file in "your_book.sdr" folder. if you don't have it, there is a plugin for Calibre that will help you generate the approximate value for the pages.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
bluerfoot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
My guess is that it's not a book purchased directly from Amazon? All the books I bought from amazon has the page # as well as the location info.
Make sure you have the APNX file in "your_book.sdr" folder. if you don't have it, there is a plugin for Calibre that will help you generate the approximate value for the pages.
I purchased it from the shop in kindle store from the kindle itself, so that is from amazon correct?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
I purchased it from the shop in kindle store from the kindle itself, so that is from amazon correct?
Yea then you should have it. see if you have the APNX file in the ".sdr" folder on your kindle. If not, I would try to go into the document folder and manually delete both the book & it's ".sdr" folder, then re-download it from amazon to see if you get the page number.

Last edited by shinew; 12-14-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
bluerfoot
Zealot

Thanks I will check it out, would be too bad if I have to start doing this I am buying from amazon specifically so I don't have to worry about calibre or sideloading etc. btw I dont' see how to change a thread title I meant to say page numbers not page buttons. again thanks I will look for this folder.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
shinew
Addict

sure. Actually you could just grab the APNX file from your PC and put it in your ".sdr" folder since it shows up on your computer, no need for using calibre.

To do that, just copy your book's APNX file from "C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application\content" and drop it into the ".sdr" folder on your Kindle. You might need to rename it to whatever the books is named on your Kindle. So if it's "your_book_title.azw", the APNX file needs to be "your_book_title.apnx" under "your_book_title.sdr" folder.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
bluerfoot
Zealot

hmm funny thing is this. I am looking at the book for which I downloaded a sample before getting the book. in the .sdr folder for the book I do not see the apnx file. however there is a folder for the same book xxxxxx_sample.sdr and that does have an apnx file. I deleted the sample book however after I purhased the full version.

I don't know what a .sdr folder is but why would it still be there for the sample of the book that I deleted, and why would the sample book .sdr folder have an apnx file (whatever that is) where the actual book I paid for would not have the apnx file?

btw I tried this with another book that I got a sample from (and deleted the sample after getting the actual book) and it is the same scenerio. hmmmm....
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
shinew
Addict

sounds like a glitch, which is why you should remove the .sdr folder for the actual book manually to hopefully "reset" it since amazon does not remove the .sdr folder when you delete the book.

you also can't use the sample's apnx file since it's incomplete.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
bluerfoot
Zealot

perhaps this has something to do with samples since I have seen it on 2 books? Just to confirm, I should...

a) manually delete the .sdr sample book folder
b) manually delete the .sdr folder for the actual folder

after that do I need to redownload or something? the last thing I want to do is actually lose my purchase. and I have no idea what the .sdr folder actually is (I am assuming it hold settings for the book?).
Old 12-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Not every ebook in the Kindle store has page numbers displayed. Depends on how it was formatted.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
shinew
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Not every ebook in the Kindle store has page numbers displayed. Depends on how it was formatted.
he could see the page # on kindle pc, so the book has the page info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
Just to confirm, I should...

a) manually delete the .sdr sample book folder
b) manually delete the .sdr folder for the actual folder

after that do I need to redownload or something? the last thing I want to do is actually lose my purchase. and I have no idea what the .sdr folder actually is (I am assuming it hold settings for the book?).
yes, and re-download the book. Or you could just skip the step and just use your PC's APNX, see post #9 above.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
bluerfoot
Zealot

thanks so much I deleted both folders (sample and regular), archived and redownloaded and I have page numbers.

now why they can't just leave the damm page numbers on the bottom like they do with the location is beyond me, since the page number is much better for my brain.

Again thanks so much.