Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #91
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeah, something changed: the next book is different from the previous one. More characters, different plot considerations, etc.

Look, writing isn't a science. It's an art. Sometimes, the answers come easy, and sometimes, it doesn't.

It's not a case of him not sitting down and writing every day. (Well, he wasn't during tours, which are few and far between barring book launches.)

Of course the alternative is to rush it. I felt it in J.K. Rowling's fifth book, which was arguably the most awful of the Harry Potter series. (To a certain extent, A Feast for Crows was similar, not in terms of quality, but in terms of character chapters which was ported over to A Dance With Dragons.)

I want the next book as soon as the next person, but the reality is the book won't be coming out anytime soon. The stories are getting more complex, and there's editing, revision, etc. to consider. (There's also lead time to consider which made the second book come out faster.) The fact that there's an HBO series won't really motivate--or unmotivate--Martin. And it's not like he was exclusively just writing the novel during the 90's.
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #92
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It's not a case of him not sitting down and writing every day. (Well, he wasn't during tours, which are few and far between barring book launches.)
Few and far between? You've got to be kidding me! He travels extensively throughout the year. Outside of booksigning tours he's at every *Con... pimping everything from miniature figurines to calendars to the various role-playing games. And that doesn't include his personal vacations. He's away from his writing desk for many months out of the year (and he's admitted he can only write at home). His schedule wasn't nearly so hectic when the first few books were being written. That's what's changed.

Look; I don't begrudge him his increasing popularity (or the demands for his physical presence at everyone's events), but let's be honest here... that's exactly what's making it take so long to get these written—it's not the story demanding more and more of his attention. It's his adoring public...

... and editing his Wild-Card series...
... and writing new Dunk & Egg novellas (in fact he's under contract for one right now)...
... and both New York NFL teams.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #93
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
its so hard to get a feel for these books. i'm usually one who enjoys stuff nobody else does but i've uncharacteristically let myself be influenced by the poor reviews by the last couple books. i understand that there are a lot of fanboys out there who are never happy with what an author does but i'm scared by the idea of reading 5000+ pages to discover that the "haters" were correct lol.

i like fantasy, i should be all over these books but the reviews have completely scared me away.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #94
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
its so hard to get a feel for these books. i'm usually one who enjoys stuff nobody else does but i've uncharacteristically let myself be influenced by the poor reviews by the last couple books. i understand that there are a lot of fanboys out there who are never happy with what an author does but i'm scared by the idea of reading 5000+ pages to discover that the "haters" were correct lol.

i like fantasy, i should be all over these books but the reviews have completely scared me away.
Same here, well for a while anyway. Now finished book 1 and started book 2. The way the author jumps around from character to character does not bother me at all. Actually I quite like it. Reads as a series of short stories in a way. I dont require a story to be told is a sequential A to Z type of way.

As to the slow delivery of the books I have no real opinion. I have 4 of them in front of me so no problem, for now.

Loving it so far
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #95
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
The series was great, as far as I read it. (Up until #4 - I had #5 pre-orered for years, but at some point of time the seller dropped my order.) However I would not recommend it reading it now, simply because it is unfinished. The story has no closing yet. Judging from the publication history it does not look like it is going to be finished.

If reading unfinished stuff does not bother you that much, go ahead and start reading, this is some of the best fantasy available.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #96
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Few and far between? You've got to be kidding me! He travels extensively throughout the year. Outside of booksigning tours he's at every *Con... pimping everything from miniature figurines to calendars to the various role-playing games. And that doesn't include his personal vacations. He's away from his writing desk for many months out of the year (and he's admitted he can only write at home). His schedule wasn't nearly so hectic when the first few books were being written. That's what's changed.

Look; I don't begrudge him his increasing popularity (or the demands for his physical presence at everyone's events), but let's be honest here... that's exactly what's making it take so long to get these written—it's not the story demanding more and more of his attention. It's his adoring public...

... and writing new Dunk & Egg novellas (in fact he's under contract for one right now)...
Yes, from what I can gather during football season he is MIA.
drofgnal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #97
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condillac View Post
I watched the series first, then i got curious about the book. I was reading the 3rd vol, but I dropped. Its like Issybird said, he goes on and on untill the end of the book... on the last 100 pages everything that should have happened happens and the book ends.

About the tv show and the book: there is no significant differences between then. Some occasional changes just to make the series more fluide on tv, but no loss of sense. You won't get much more from the book. So if you want to know only the plot you can definitly watch the series only.
I know this might be necroposting, but I've to disagree with you Condillac.
I've read the first 5 books.
All of them work different; until the 2nd everything is quite linear. Things get tricky after/during the 2nd; he tends to go back and forth on time; making it really difficult to follow the timeline of the story.

Regarding the Books vs HBO series
Spoiler:
All of the green dreams are missed in the HBO series or sumed up in 2 minutes, while the books have entire chapters dedicated. There are many hinting details in the book that the HBO series doesn't reproduce or take even into account.
I'll say that the series would seem superfluos to someone who hasn't read the books before. Some things will seem amiss, a lot of things would need explanations, probably with spoiling part of the development.

And I have to agree, I don't like when he suddenly kills a main character out of nowhere. I'm all in for plot twists (ie: Red Wedding), but not cool with just killing characters for cliffhanging (soap opera style)
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #98
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Writing is his job. How much time do you spend on your job and how much do you spend watching TV or reading or playing video games or whatever?

He's a got a right to spend his extra time however he wants. And that's apparently sports. I don't like sports myself but it's his choice. Book tours are part of the job also (they help make money).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #99
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Writing is his job. How much time do you spend on your job and how much do you spend watching TV or reading or playing video games or whatever?

He's a got a right to spend his extra time however he wants. And that's apparently sports. I don't like sports myself but it's his choice. Book tours are part of the job also (they help make money).
I agree completely. I personally don't care how much time he spends writing vs traveling and down time. I was only addressing the nonsensical suggestion that it was the complexity of the story itself that was causing his progressively slower and slower output. And nothing else. That "writing is an art, and it takes as long as it takes." As if there were no other factors involved in the time between his books. That's just not true.

There are simply more demands on his time now than when he started the series. And he's spending less and less time in "ass in writing chair" mode as he gets older. And that's cool... totally his prerogative.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #100
IorekB
IorekB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T3S
If one was to have a look into the series, what ebook edition (epub) would you recommand? I noticed that both the UK (Voyager) and US (Bantam) editions are available at my favorite ebook store (the UK one being slightly more expensive).

I did a bit of research on the web - it would seem that the first ebook editions (both US and UK), especially of tome 1, did contain quite a few typos/errors. Apparently, both publishers have released new editions being proofread properly and cleaned up. Are you in the know of any reasons to prefer one over the other?
IorekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #101
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IorekB View Post
If one was to have a look into the series, what ebook edition (epub) would you recommand? I noticed that both the UK (Voyager) and US (Bantam) editions are available at my favorite ebook store (the UK one being slightly more expensive).

I did a bit of research on the web - it would seem that the first ebook editions (both US and UK), especially of tome 1, did contain quite a few typos/errors. Apparently, both publishers have released new editions being proofread properly and cleaned up. Are you in the know of any reasons to prefer one over the other?
Well I'm reading the US versions now (I'm on book 4) and I haven't noticed any typos or errors so I'm not sure how the UK publisher could have improved upon it. One thing that I've noticed though while reading them on my Sony prs-350 is that the margins are thicker than other epubs that I've read so perhaps the formatting is better with the UK version. Other than that perhaps they ran the books through a UK spell checker so it may come down to whether you prefer colour vs color.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #102
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I need some help with geography.

I took the maps that come with the ebook of A Dance with Dragons (http://atrandom.com/dwdmaps/) and composited together a map of Westeros and the Free Cities just so I could figure out where everything was in relation to everything else.

But I can't figure out where Valyria is in relation to what I already have (here's the map of Valyria: http://a1018.g.akamai.net/f/1018/190...ns/valyria.jpg) It says Westeros and the Summer Isles are to the west, but where exactly does it go? Where are the Summer Isles on this big map? I can't find them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westeros.jpg
Views:	1595
Size:	1,019.4 KB
ID:	82680  
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote