Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #31
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry, I didn't see this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
To the best of my knowledge Sony has its own bookstore. Just like Amazon. Just like BN. Just like Apple. Just like Kobo. So how is it that those e-readers are vehicles for a bookstore and the Sony is not?
And those bookstores are US only. They come with their own devices tailor made for those bookstores.

Maybe this article is shedding light onto what I said.

Quote:
Playing for the globe

Why would Sony make such trade-offs between touch and connectivity? Sony is playing a global game and perhaps 3G and Wi-Fi just doesn’t matter as much in Spain, Japan and China. Haber in Sony’s statement reveals the company’s strategy.

Haber said that Sony is launching in “the countries we already serve” but also expanding into “previously untapped markets.” He added that Sony takes “a thoughtful approach to country expansion, including Italy, Spain, Australia, Japan and China, working with local bookstores to ensure content is compatible, relevant and in the appropriate language for each market.”

In the U.S. it won’t be hard to find techies to pan the Sony Reader trade-offs. How can a reader not have Wi-Fi?

However, there’s a big picture here—and its global.
The 950 and the bookstore are a special US thing, just to make business in the US. To us it does not mean anything.

Quote:
Calling the Nook a vehicle to sell BN books is a bit silly. The Nook is by far the most versatile (sp) of the major e-readers out there. It can read books from BN, Sony, Kobo, and all of the smaller EPub stores without conversion or stripping DRM. The only major EPub store the Nook cannot read is Apples. That outshines the Sony which cannot read BN books at this time. Heck, a rooted Nook Color can be used to read e-books from Amazon as well as all the EPub stores that are not Apple.
Aha, silly. Hm, well. Please be so kind as to tell me why the Nook is the only device thats reads B&N books?

Quote:
The Kindle is a great device with an amazing book store and can read non-DRMed Mobi books, which many independent e-book stores are selling. It cannot read EPub, which is a weakness, but that does not mean that it is awful.
Have I said it is awful?

Quote:
Sonys are priced based on the use of a full touchscreen and aluminum case that are more expensive then the Kindle, Nook, or Kobo. They are more expensive materials so the devices cost more. Not to mention that fewer Sonys are sold then Kindles and Nooks so there is an issue of economies of scale. Amazon and BN buy more raw materials then Sony so they get a better price so their e-readers cost less to build.
Now this is interesting. None of the companies gives out any sales numbers, but you claim to know who sells the most? And am I mistaken your 'imagined' numbers refer to the US market only? Sony is rumored to be the 2nd biggest seller worldwide and yes, there is a world outside the US! Actually there are 6 billion people in this world and only 310 million are Americans...

Quote:
That does not make the Sony better, it makes the Sony different. Given that many people with Kindles, Nooks, and Kobos have devices that have held up to a travel, backpacking, camping, kids, pets, and many years of service with no damage to the device, I don't think the addition of the aluminim casing is worth the extra cost. My K1 has been to Australia, New Zealand, California, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Wisconsin, on a series of car camping trips, and survived my backpack for well over 2 years now.

Since I don't want a touch screen and think that the casing is just added weight with no real extra protection, I am fine with my less expensive Kindle with a longer battery life, that holds more books, and gives me 3G connectivity thank you very much.
What makes you think I care if you want a touchscreen or not? I don't even know you and what you want or what not is not the least interesting for me and of no consequence for me at all.

Quote:
Your desire to make the Sony sound like it is the bestest ereader in the whole entire universe is getting to be a bit silly and overblown.
Two or three times the word silly in one post. Looks like you have an inferiority complex and are lacking of a wide vocabulary. This is something you should work on, Prof.Crash. It sounds, uhm, a bit silly

Last edited by Poppaea; 02-23-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #32
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I bought a Nook Classic as my first reader & loved it. I didn't mind the lower touch screen. Yes the Nook is a bit heavy.

I bought the Kindle3 second because at the time I could buy more books & cheaper prices than I could on my Nook. It was lighter & I enjoyed reading with it, but do not like the outer keyboard or the buttons to turn pages...Just my preference. It still is a very good e-reader.

I was in Best Buy one day waiting for my husband to get something & I strolled over to the e-readers. I saw the Sony PRS-950 & really liked it...Did not like the price. So I played around with the Sony PRS-350 & fell in love with it. Still I was put off with the downloading books from the computer. So I walked away, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. I really liked the size & the touch screen & the keyboard & the dictionary ...and so on. So I went back next weekend & it was on sale. I grabbed one & ran...Oh Okay I payed for it first.

So I've had it a little over a month & I have to say I really like it. I still read on the other readers because I still have books on them I haven't read. But I will be giving the Nook to my sister since she likes the touch screen on it in preference to the Buttons on the Kindle. Actually I should sell the Nook & wait for the Sony-350 to go on sale again & get her one of them.

I think I've turned into a real reader gadget person...To think two years ago there was no way I would ever get one of those e-readers.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #33
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Unlike some of my enthusiastic Sony friends, I wouldn't say the Sony PRS-x50 readers are absolutely perfect as is, and that I wouldn't change anything.

* You should be able to set the overlap on landscape page turns to zero. (The more common portrait mode is fine as it is, but in landscape mode page turns overlap about 1/3 page which annoys some folks)

* All of the PRS-x50 models could clearly use some extra optional fonts so you have several choices for the default font. I am surprised that Sony hasn't fixed this long ago. (There are lots of really nice high quality typefaces that are in the public domain, so it's not like it will cost them anything)

* There should be some way to optionally disable the touch-screen for page turns and use buttons only (while still automatically activating the touch screen when you select menus.) That way you could turn pages with buttons like the Kindle if you wanted greater battery life, and avoid problems in environments where the touch screen could be falsely triggered.

NEVERTHELESS . . .

All of these are fairly minor grumbles, and they haven't changed my mind about the choice I made in buying my PRS-650. I still think it's the finest e-ink based reader you can buy.

In fact, if you have been following this thread, you will notice a very consistent pattern -

Time and time and time again, when someone has used a Kindle, a Nook, and a Sony, they end up with the Sony.

There are a small number of exceptions, but about 90% of the time this seems to be true.

Last edited by delphin; 02-24-2011 at 11:28 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 AM   #34
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Unlike some of my enthusiastic Sony friends, I wouldn't say the Sony PRS-x50 readers are absolutely perfect as is, and that I wouldn't change anything.

* You should be able to set the overlap on landscape page turns to zero. (The more common portrait mode is fine as it is, but in landscape mode page turns overlap about 1/3 page which annoys some folks)

* All of the PRS-x50 models could clearly use some extra optional fonts so you have several choices for the default font. I am surprised that Sony hasn't fixed this long ago. (There are lots of really nice high quality typefaces that are in the public domain, so it's not like it will cost them anything)

* There should be some way to optionally disable the touch-screen for page turns and use buttons only (while still automatically activating the touch screen when you select menus.) That way you could turn pages with buttons like the Kindle if you wanted greater battery life, and avoid problems in environments where the touch screen could be falsely triggered.

NEVERTHELESS . . .

All of these are fairly minor grumbles, and they haven't changed my mind about the choice I made in buying my PRS-650. I still think it's the finest e-ink based reader you can buy.

In fact, if you have been following this thread, you will notice a very consistent pattern -

Time and time and time again, when someone has used a Kindle, a Nook, and a Sony, they end up with the Sony.

There are a small number of exceptions, but about 90% of the time this seems to be true.
The things you'd like to change haven't bothered me so far. I habitually change all books to .lrf to close the font size gap that the Sonys have (see, I know a Sony fault )

* this way I haven't even noticed there are overlaps in landscape

* and I am able to controll the font in the same step. Normally I don't do it as I am perfectly ok with the Sony font

* Disableling the touchscreen hasn't even dawned on my either. The whole battery life debate holds no interest for me at all. Batterys have a lifetime of 400 charges. Even if I were charging weekly as opposed to the 2week cycle necessary for my reading habits that would give my reader an eight year lifespan. Not being the type who is backpacking in the middle of nowhere, prefering first class hotels, decent bathrooms and swimming pools to tents, holes in the mud and ponds, I am never short of electricity, too.

I can see, why someone should wish this things were different but they are fairly easy to work around/avoid.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #35
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
The things you'd like to change haven't bothered me so far . . .
I agree that most of the things I listed are not a huge deal for most folks, but these are common sense easy changes.

I have also gotten used to the Sony default font, so for me it's not that big of issue. (though some variety would be nice )

Some folks obviously do think it's a big thing, because they are willing to risk destroying their reader just to add a few fonts.

I think having some more default font options would actually make money for Sony all around. Not only could it give them a sales advantage, but it would also keep some folks from turning their Sony reader into a BRICK while trying to change fonts. (then Sony often ends up replacing a perfectly good reader under warranty)

Why give Amazon or the Nook any advantage in the SPECS game when it comes to something simple like fonts, when it would be so easy for Sony to fix this with a simple software update?

Giving the Sony a long battery life mode matching the Kindle would also be a win in the SPECS game, even if most folks do chose, like you and I, to just leave the touch screen fully enabled all the time, and charge the reader every week or so.

Sony needs to learn a lesson from Apple in this regard -

Apple knows that if you add value to your product in the form of fancy HARDWARE features, you pay a price for every unit you ship.

BUT - If you add value by adding attractive SOFTWARE features, you pay only once and your ongoing cost is almost ZERO.

So wise up Sony, and at least add a few fonts for crying out loud !

Last edited by delphin; 02-25-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 AM   #36
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

This warranty thing is something that does not stop to amaze me. Perfectly fine things are returned and people get a full refund. Or they fuck it up and hold the company liable for their fault. German law does not honor when someone wants to return something they have already used because they don't like it. They are grown up, are allowed to do business and are meant to make up their minds before they purchase something.

Whenever I read Americans return things they already used or worse fucked up themselves and brag about it I am baffled. Someone will have to pay for the waste and it is the community of buyers via higher prices that pays for them.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #37
delphin
Evangelist

Quote:
Whenever I read Americans return things . . .
Comes from a generation that grew up playing video games, and looking for cheat codes I guess.

They just consider it gaming the system.

Can't decide between the Kindle, Nook, and Sony, because no one ever taught you how to actually make up you mind?

NO PROBLEM, just buy, ALL THREE, then send back the ones you don't want.

Idiots like this are the cause of retailers cracking down on folks who are trying to make legitimate returns or charging restocking fees.

The reason your rules in Europe are so tough is because folks are no better.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #38
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
So what do you think? Which eReader would get if you were in my shoes?
If I were in your shoes, I'd get the PRS 950. The only issue might be the price, but the device should be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Can't decide between the Kindle, Nook, and Sony, because no one ever taught you how to actually make up you mind?

NO PROBLEM, just buy, ALL THREE, then send back the ones you don't want.
I've been wondering, are the returned items later sold to unsuspecting customers as brand new, unopened?
Who knows, perhaps the device I'm using was tested and then returned.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #39
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
If I were in your shoes, I'd get the PRS 950. The only issue might be the price, but the device should be worth it.
I agree. If money isn't an issue, get the PRS-950.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #40
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
I've been wondering, are the returned items later sold to unsuspecting customers as brand new, unopened?
Supposedly those are the ones sold as "refurbished".
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #41
delphin
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Supposedly those are the ones sold as "refurbished".
It's actually the LAW in the U.S.

Anything not newly manufactured, must be labeled as such,

and merchants are specifically prohibited from selling returned items as new.

This doesn't mean it always happens that way though.

Usually the fine print in your warranty says that you agree to accept refurbished junk as a replacement, even if your item was bad out of the box when brand new.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:

They are either sold as refurbished or used as warrenty replacements. I believe the stores that have a restocing policy are able to make back much of the lost profit with that. I had no problem when my Dad returned the Nano I got him for Christmas and had to eat a 10% restocking fee since it had been opened even when it was the day after Christmas. He should have been more clear what he wanted in his IPod (He told me the smallest one possible). It turns out he wanted to be able to look up music without using the big round wheel and that the ITouch was a better fit for him. That is our bad, not Apples. The restocking fee was acceptable.

I am not a big fan of the practice. I can see buying one e-reader and if you don't like it sending it back. But buying three at one time knowing you are going to send at least two back strikes me as abusing the system. I understand that it is allowed and perfectly acceptable, it is not something I would do.

I did get my K1 knowing that it could end up being returned to Amazon if I didn't like it. It made it easier to ask for a very expensive toy for my birthday. I would not have asked for it if I didn't think I would keep it.

I suspect that once e-readers are better established that the 30 day or one week use it and return it without a restocking fee policy will change.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #43
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
This warranty thing is something that does not stop to amaze me. Perfectly fine things are returned and people get a full refund. Or they fuck it up and hold the company liable for their fault. German law does not honor when someone wants to return something they have already used because they don't like it. They are grown up, are allowed to do business and are meant to make up their minds before they purchase something.
It's not a matter of law. It's a matter of the company having this policy, presumably because people feel more comfortable buying if there is a generous return policy.

Quote:

Whenever I read Americans return things they already used or worse fucked up themselves and brag about it I am baffled. Someone will have to pay for the waste and it is the community of buyers via higher prices that pays for them.
As I said above, this isn't a legal requirement, but a policy of an individual company, on the theory that the number of increased sales due to generous warranty policies will offset the small number of wasted returns.

I assume the companies can run the numbers and would drop the policy if it caused them to lose money. But anecdotally I know that I am more comfortable buying something from a place with a generous return policy - it takes a lot of the risk out of the transaction.

And Germany's restrictive return policies clearly do not lead to lower prices.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #44
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
And Germany's restrictive return policies clearly do not lead to lower prices.
The biggest department store in Europe actually charges more than other stores and they have a very liberal return policie and a lot of thefts...
Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #45
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Thanks for all the advice so far! I'm still trying to decide. I really want a Sony 650 or 950 but the Nook seems to be more in my budget at the moment. I saw that the Sopny 650 was out of stock and was selling on eBay for more than the Sony 950! Ridiculous!

Hopefully Sony will have some more 650 models available soon. The 950 is great but as I still have some other things I need to do, it's probably out of my budget range right now.

ETA: I decided that wifi isn't that important to me overall. I have my iPod Touch to browse the web and check my e-mail. So I'm content to have an e-Reader without wi-fi as long as I can check out library books and the screen size has e-ink and is big enough (at least 6 inches). When I finally make a decision, I'll let you all know. You have been a wealth of information.

Last edited by faithbw; 02-26-2011 at 08:40 PM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook, sony, wi-fi