Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
chris77586
Patent Pending
chris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughing

Device: prs 350
Looking for a PRS-x50 replacement stylus?

Some of you may remember me posting up a prototype stylus made from a 3d model I made; well here is the final Product! I have 6 of them for sale, for $10 each shipping included- a bargain considering that it’s very expensive to get one direct from Sony. Each stylus is guaranteed to fit just like the original. It is modeled specifically for the PRS-350, so I have no idea if they will or fit any other Sony Reader without modification. The stylus is made from one piece of PA 2200, which is very strong and flexible as shown by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgbJ...layer_embedded.
If you are interested, send me a PM. I prefer PayPal, since it is the fastest and safest.

Update 8/19/2011: You can buy them directly from the shapeways.com now. search for my shop under chris77586.

Update 10/9/11: Hey guys, A few changes here. Shapeways( the company who I use for manufacturing) now has no minumum order for their products. That means That you can order just one stylus directly from them instead of 2! The bad news is that they now charge shipping. That means that I'll have to up my prices if you order directly through me, so it is honestly more economical, faster, and safer to order directly from Shapeways.com. I ordered one last batch of 8 today that I will be selling for $10 each, but after that, I wont be taking any more orders personally. It is better to order from http://www.shapeways.com/shops/chris77586.
Thanks, everyone for all your support!

Update 11/18/11: I ordered a bunch of styluses from Shapeways and I can personally ship them to you for $11 dollars each. No shipping necessary ( even if you live outside the US). If you don't want to pay the extra shipping from Shapeways, send me a PM!

Last edited by dreams; 11-18-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Changed the title and update per OP.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
That's an impressive job! I remember you working on it before. I don't need one, but wanted to comment on your workmanship.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Looks very good, well done.

To be honest I've never used the stylus of either my 600 or my 650. Perhaps I'm odd but I only ever read books on my reader so no need for a stylus.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
You've clearly done an excellent job. I have a 650 and still have its stylus, but I'd like you to give the dimensions - length and diameter at the top and end - and whether you would post to Australia. It doesn't need to be express post, but I'd like a spare.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I am so impressed! I don't need a spare stylus right now, but it's great to know that someone is actually able to make them at a reasonable price!!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Looks very good, well done.

To be honest I've never used the stylus of either my 600 or my 650. Perhaps I'm odd but I only ever read books on my reader so no need for a stylus.
I have a 650 and need the stylus to tap words for the dictionary definition, as well as access footnotes.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great job, Chris! The stylus is most helpful if you read at smaller text and minimal line spacing which makes it more difficult to select words or phrases. I find the stylus more helpful on my 350. I don't need it with my 950 except on some web pages that don't allow font size changes or sometimes if you want to select something on the top row of text.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I have a 650 and need the stylus to tap words for the dictionary definition, as well as access footnotes.
I find my finger is good enough to highlight words for the dictionary, but I can see it would be useful for footnotes.

Obviously I have never read a book with footnotes.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Obviously I have never read a book with footnotes.
Goes with the territory of being nerdy!

A stylus is also useful for tapping SEE ALL from the main screen -- many's the time I've accidentally "opened" the (third) book right below that instead using my finger.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Well done Chris - please see PM re: delivery.......
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
chris77586
Patent Pending
chris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughing

Device: prs 350
Thanks for all the positive comments guys! I will be out of town until the 18th, so I wont be able to check the forums or send out any mail until then. I appreciate all the interest!

Here are the dimmensions of the stylus. Everything is in millimeters.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Did you replicate it on a 3D Printer?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Well done! So far as I can tell it will fit my PRS 650.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
PM with you, Chris.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Did you replicate it on a 3D Printer?
That's exactly what I want to know.
Closed Thread