Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I wouldn't give up my Kindle for reading but I'm definitely in the market for a solid mid-range tablet. The iPADS are too expensive for me to risk carrying around all the time and my nook color just has too many limitations.

I'm not sure why "Amazon has lost their mind." This obviously isn't meant to be a Kindle eInk replacement. It's a tablet meant to work in conjunction with their new Amazon App market including the Kindle App.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
...and my nook color just has too many limitations.
Not mine. It's rooted and has all of the tablet features I need.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
I wouldn't give up my Kindle for reading but I'm definitely in the market for a solid mid-range tablet. The iPADS are too expensive for me to risk carrying around all the time and my nook color just has too many limitations.

I'm not sure why "Amazon has lost their mind." This obviously isn't meant to be a Kindle eInk replacement. It's a tablet meant to work in conjunction with their new Amazon App market including the Kindle App.
I second this.

I would prefer to travel with a tablet then my netbook. I don't want an IPad. They are too expensive, I have play games that use flash, and I am worried that Amazon is going to start requiring companies to share a portion of their earnings with Apple when buying from an app on the IPad.

I would like something larger then my PSP to watch movies on and something faster and better then the browser on my Kindle.

I am interested in seeing what Amazon comes out with because the Kindle has been well built and works very nicely.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I think this image says it all:

If this is really what Amazon has in mind (and again, I'd like to see it from a better source), then clearly someone at Amazon (which probably means Bezos) has lost their g**d*mn mind. It almost loses more rationality with every retelling.

The idea of a 180 degree viewing angle is particularly comical. Who in the hell cares if you can make out the screen when it's at eye level? Does anyone use a computer that way? Does anyone read that way?

Not to mention the fact that to me, Amazon coming out with a tablet makes about as much sense as Nike coming out with a brand of ballet shoes.

It depends, I don't think they would be abandoning the Kindle. I think it would be a move very similiar to Barnes and Noble and it would be expanding their product line. Hmm BN's nook must sure be in Amazon's radar

1. Nook drops to under $200 Amazon responds by droping the kindle to under $200

2.. Nook announces a wifi only . The Amazon responds by announcing a wifi only model as well.

3. Nook has "LendMe" feature. Amazon a year later adopts the LendMe feature.

4. Nook has the ability to check out Library books. Amazon caves in and announces they are working with Library's to deliver this.

5. Nook has a color LCD ereader Tablet. Amazon looks to be jumping into the ereader Tablet.

I think the number of nooks sold to Kindles sold is alot closer than people think. That's alot of responses to a product that the Kindle is supposed to be destroying.

But to address your comment on Amazon entering into the Tablet business makes as much sense as Nike selling ballet shoes.

Actually out of all the companies out their Amazon makes THE MOST PERFECT sense in jumping into the tablet market.

Nobody has a better overall ecosystem than Amazon. Not even Apple.
Amazon VOD
Amazon MP3 store
Amazon Cloud Service
Amazon's Android Market
Kindle eBookstore

All of these trump Apple's iTunes and iBooks. If anyone should be getting into the Tablet business it's Amazon.

I hope they do full blown Tablet and not a Nook Color rip off. I think Amazon has way to many assets on their side to just create an a color eReader Tablet. It would be like wasted talent.

Last edited by boswd; 05-10-2011 at 09:56 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would like something larger then my PSP to watch movies on and something faster and better then the browser on my Kindle.
You could try Archos.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would prefer to travel with a tablet then my netbook.
Same here. That's why I bought a Nook Color. It's rooted, so I have complete access to both major app stores - Android Market and Amazon Appstore.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #22
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not mine. It's rooted and has all of the tablet features I need.
Mine's rooted too, although I'm working on doing the thing where you put the Android OS on the micro SD card instead so I don't have to mess around with trying to avoid Barnes firmware updates that break the root. It still isn't quite a full fledged tablet though. I'll be interested in seeing what Amazon offers.

And yes, I suspect Barnes and Noble's success with the nook color probably has been on Amazon's radar. You betcha.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:

I think Amazon has lost their mind because I can't see any way for the rumored Amazon tablet to distinguish itself. I mean, granted it sounds like this thing will have a decent viewing angle, if the rumors are true, but how good a viewing angle does it need? You're not going to have 5 people sitting in a semicircle around a tablet.

As far as the app store goes, Amazon should learn the lesson of Archos, SlideMe, etc. Put out your own tablet with 1/10th or even 1/2 of the apps on the Android Market, and it's not going anywhere.

In addition, I'm still not hearing anything that differentiates this hypothetical tablet from a Nook Color. which you can already root, put Kindle software on, and put the Amazon App Store on.

What I want to hear, before I believe the rumor, let alone go gaga over an Amazon tablet, is something substantial from the tablet that doesn't scream "Me too!". All I see so far is the Amazon logo.

Just because it's a bold move doesn't mean it would be a good idea. The competition in Tablet Land is fierce.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
It still isn't quite a full fledged tablet though.
What other features are you looking for?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
abookreader
Wizard

I'm not so convinced that the Amazon hardware will be anything news breaking in product development. But again, Amazon has already established the Android App market which they've been marketing with the free apps of the day, they have mp3 and video downloads available too, and then they have the Kindle books. Barnes and Noble is nowhere near being able to offer that much content and then you have the issue of the everyday user whose eyes will go glassy at the suggestion they root their nook colors. Most people want to turn on and use - not fiddle. The only other vendor right now offering that much is Apple with their line-up of iTouch/iPod/iPad.

Yes, a good portion of that is "me too." That doesn't mean it won't be profitable for them.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #26
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd be interested in a color Kindle. I think that'd be pretty cool, as long as it was as readable as the normal Kindles.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #27
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The competition in the the tablet market isn't that fierce. There's the iPad, and then a bunch of companies that are either producing junk or want WAY too much for their tablet. I think there's plenty of room for a good quality, inexpensive, but not cheap, tablet, especially one backed by Amazon's ecosystem.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
The competition in Tablet Land is fierce.
Not in Nook Color land. It has no competition whatsoever. This is where Amazon should go. A quality Android tablet for the average consumer at a price they can afford. Not some high priced tablet geared for business use and tech geeks.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
I'm not so convinced that the Amazon hardware will be anything news breaking in product development. But again, Amazon has already established the Android App market which they've been marketing with the free apps of the day, they have mp3 and video downloads available too, and then they have the Kindle books. Barnes and Noble is nowhere near being able to offer that much content and then you have the issue of the everyday user whose eyes will go glassy at the suggestion they root their nook colors. Most people want to turn on and use - not fiddle. The only other vendor right now offering that much is Apple with their line-up of iTouch/iPod/iPad.

Yes, a good portion of that is "me too." That doesn't mean it won't be profitable for them.
The ecosystem makes Amazon's position in the tablet world a little better. I'll admit that much. But I think it's a mistake to look at Amazon's App Store like it's serious competition to the Android Market (let alone Apple's App Store). It might end up being that, but the last time I checked Amazon's App Store, the pickings were kind of thin. Maybe not WebOS thin, but certainly not enough to keep one from wanting to root any tablet that only had Amazon App Store access.

And that's where I don't think the Amazon tablet is going to have much of an advantage over a Nook Color. I think a tablet user is going to end up wanting to root either one.

You're right that it could turn out to be profitable for them, but I think the odds are long.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #30
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

Barnes and noble is better spent cultivating the Nook color as the best LCD ereader possibly. Maybe allowing for full Android Marketplace.

but your right Amazon on the other hand has it all and IMHO a much better ecosystem than iTunes. Their MP3 store is amazing, I love their VOD. In fact since Amazon offers Apps for their Video On Demand on TV's, Roku's, blue ray players, this really does give them a nice systeme already in place.

I think Amazon would be out of their minds to only do a nook color clone and Not do a full blown tablet that can intergrate your phone, TV devices etc.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, color tablets, kindle