Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
PRS-950 - User review of BOOKARMOR case

REVIEW of OMNSCIENCE BookArmor Case for the Sony PRS-950 ebook reader

Bottom line:
Highly Recommended! For those who expect to handle their Sony reader in a rough manner – this case/cover can’t be beat. Weight of the cover may be an issue for some people.

As a proud owner of the Sony PRS-505 reader, I purchased a BookArmor case to protect it. It was one of the best investments that I had made and found it offered unparalleled protection to the device and its easily broken screen.

Recently, I sold my 505 and upgraded to the 950. This is my impression of the new BookArmor case for the PRS950.

Pros:
-Zippered case with a great fit and incredible structural integrity.
-Easy to use
-Foam layer contacts screen
-Back of cover folds behind if desired
-Reasonably priced to other cases
-The reader attachment system uses the 3M Command adhesive and click/lock webbing for a very secure and easily removed (if desired) connection -
RECOMMEND using alternative way to attach ebook reader to case – place 950 in case, flip case over so back is upright, press down on outside of case until you hear a “click”
-customer service from Omniscience is great. I had a problem with a unit (off-aroma) purchased on amazon.com and they quickly sent me a replacement.
-has a strap to hold the book and case.
-very well made and durable

Cons:
-Unlike the former 505 case, this one does not require the use of an inner ebook cover. Instead, it uses a galvanized steel plate to offer strength and rigidity. Some users may find that this added weight may be more than desired. Metal plate is currently the best way to offer structural integrity and protection to the screen and reader (according to supplier).
-only available in Black

Available from: Omniscience, Inc.
http://www.extremeinkjet.com/BookArm...okarmor950.htm

Cost: $34.95 + $5 shipping USD

Some reviews from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BHKSSDADYYEQGS

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BHKSSDADYYEQGS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bookarmor1.pdf (89.2 KB, 565 views)
File Type: pdf bookarmor2.pdf (95.1 KB, 459 views)
File Type: pdf bookarmor3.pdf (105.6 KB, 469 views)
File Type: pdf bookarmor4.pdf (121.1 KB, 504 views)

Last edited by gardenstate; 11-29-2010 at 08:44 AM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
For those who received the special combo when the 900 was first released, the Case Logic case that was included fits the 950 perfectly.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
For those who received the special combo when the 900 was first released, the Case Logic case that was included fits the 950 perfectly.
I was wondering about that. Thanks! I was going to include it when I sold my 900. Now I know to hold on to it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

correction -Case Logic Case - Cyber Monday special

just found out...
Cyber Monday special for Case Logic pouch sold with PRS-900

Case Logic case for the PRS-900
Sony part PRSA-CP95B
Reg: $24.99
Today only - cost $19.99 with free shipping

Call 1-877-865-7669 Sonystyle to order

CORRECTION - learned this was for the SOFT Case Logic case for the 950... sorry...

Last edited by gardenstate; 11-29-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I sold mine with my 900, but this morning I was able to find and purchase a Case Logic Zipper EVA Case for Daily Edition eBook Reader PRSAZC9 from Amazon.com (vendor was CloseoutWarehouse).

$5.72 + Shipping & Handling $4.99 = $10.71
Old 11-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
gardenstate
Groupie

Smile

another review of the BookArmor cases
http://ipad.everstore.info/bookarmor...novel-ereader/

One reviewer noted a strong chemical odor from his case. I had the same problem with mine from Amazon.com. OmniScience quickly replaced it. I was told by the manufacturer that one of their boxes shipped from a supplier in China had storage problems and the transfer container got very hot -- causing odor issues.

My replacement BookArmor cover has a very very mild lemon-like aroma that gets weaker every day.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I'm gonna have to see if they do one of these for a 650... i tend to treat my gear rough

*edit - and they do.. have some karma for finding this for me!

Last edited by digital_steve; 11-30-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: found!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
gardenstate
Groupie

Since I just bought the BookArmor case for the 950, I was curious about the HARDSHELL CaseLogic case PRSAZC9. So I bought it for around $10 with shipping from Amazon.com and it arrived yesterday.

Unfortunately, the 950 did NOT fit into the rigid case bottom that was designed for the 900. From what I've read, the 900 was 4.875" acoss while the 950 is wider at 5.125". Even if it did, the base of the case was very sturdy but the top cover offered less in the way of impact protection for the screen.

In the meantime, I've grown to love my BookArmor case and have enjoyed using it....
Old 12-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
Since I just bought the BookArmor case for the 950, I was curious about the HARDSHELL CaseLogic case PRSAZC9. So I bought it for around $10 with shipping from Amazon.com and it arrived yesterday.

Unfortunately, the 950 did NOT fit into the rigid case bottom that was designed for the 900. From what I've read, the 900 was 4.875" acoss while the 950 is wider at 5.125". Even if it did, the base of the case was very sturdy but the top cover offered less in the way of impact protection for the screen.
I got my CaseLogic PRSAZC9 in the mail today. It is a tight fit, but it DOES fit nicely. As far as the top not being as armored as the bottom, that is true. However, the top is still pretty well armored. I bought mine for travel, that is packing in a suitcase, carry on bag, backpack, etc. so it will do the job quite well of protecting my 950 while packed. If I want more armor I could always turn the 950 screen down in the case. As I said, I bought mine for armored protection while packed and not for using while reading. I prefer the Sony cover for reading.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
gardenstate
Groupie

thanks for everyone's support. I just learned that the seller has had an increase in sales of this unit since my review.

They are very interested in feedback from us on how to make the product better. If you have any comments, please send them to: "denise Extremeinkjet" denise@extremeinkjet.com>.

I did suggest the addition of a holder inside the cover for your name and address or even an option for an engraved plate on the cover with your name.

Still love this cover for the 950 and enjoy using it...

Now... if we can find a way to mix the hand-crafted beauty of the leather Oberon Kindle 2 cover with this -- that would be great...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
freefallman
freefallman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 950
I just got one. I'm tough on electronics and as a student I know that I'm going to be throwing my reader in a bag with a lot of books. While this looks like it would do the job, the chemical smell coming off this thing is so strong it makes it hard to breath. No joke, it's super strong, like give you cancer from breathing around it strong. Otherwise it seems like a great product. I'm going to give it a few days and see if it doesn't dissipate and if not return it to the vendor.
freefallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
gardenstate
Groupie

Hi freefallman,

sorry about your problem...

The cover I got through Amazon.com also had a strong odor. The seller told me that it was due to a shipment of covers from China in a transfer container that was exposed to too much heat -- causing the odor release. Give Omniscience a call and they will promptly replace your unit. I found their customer service to be great.
They will also send you a prepaid mailer to ship the defective cover back to them.

http://www.extremeinkjet.com/help.asp

Contact Us:
Email: sales@extremeinkjet.com
Address: 836 Orchid Drive
Address: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida USA 33317

Phone: 954-584-2949

Fax: 954-316-4841

My new cover had a very very mild lemon aroma that went away quickly over a few days.

Let us know what happens. Good Luck!

Last edited by gardenstate; 12-10-2010 at 08:44 PM.