Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #23746
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Good Luck Betty and pdurrant!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #23747
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIxz5uOGB2k )

Good morning, all. Today's the day to build walls... or re-build them. Off to the home center to buy paper to cover the inside shoji. We're going to re-cover six interior walls today... I have these visions of Lucy and Ethel hanging wallpaper... Not a pretty sight...

Oh well... It's gotta get done. So first things first, 'Prince of Wales' tea and some bacon and eggs. Then some computer play, then maybe a little reading, then... ANYTHING that I can think of to put off doing the shoji!!!!!!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #23748
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Black coffee (hazelnut). I've been in a whirlwind of activity here trying to settle Mom's affairs and figure out my own life. I've got a contract on a cozy little brick house about 20 miles west of here, near my middle sister. If all goes well, I'll close somewhere around March 15 and move (along with the elderly dog and noisy bird I inherited from Mom.) Ah well, they're lots of company anyway.
Good for you, Betty. I wish you lots of happiness in your new house. Elderly dog, noisy bird.............?cats? Are you going to find yourself some new furry friends?

In my cup: cold coffee

( gathering courage to go outside, -3C, and bike to get my shopping done)
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #23749
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
gathering courage to go outside, -3C, and bike to get my shopping done
You should try my trick to stay warm... Using a motorcycle instead of a bike, I figure I can go 'faster' than the 'cold molecules' so they can't catch me...

Late afternoon cup of East India Company's 'Keemun Downey Bud.' And trying to not think of what we did to the poor shoji...
(remembering the scene from 'Oklahoma' 'Poor Judd is Dead...' )

Stitchawl
Old 02-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #23750
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I picked up a few words from Shogun and for once didn't have to google a Japanese word in Stitchawl's post

Tell us when you get the job, Paul. Then we'll celebrate with virtual beer (or Coke Zero if you want).

Seems like everyone has new things! New condo for cromag's parents, land for Iri and her bf, Stitchawl's about to move to new place too. I'm sure you'll find some funny things while packing, Betty
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #23751
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
In my cup: cold coffee

( gathering courage to go outside, -3C, and bike to get my shopping done)
In those conditions, it needs to be "hot coffee", surely? I bet Rudolf has nothing on you after a cold bike ride like that . I'll stay in the car myself - even beats Stitchy's motorcycle plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
And trying to not think of what we did to the poor shoji...
(remembering the scene from 'Oklahoma' 'Poor Judd is Dead...' )
Is it harder or easier than wallpapering (which I hate doing)? I'm assuming you stretch the shoji paper over frames and glue round the edges, not all over like wallpaper?

Hot Rooibos in my cup. And staying indoors.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #23752
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Elderflower cordial in my glass mmm..

good luck to PDurrant and Betty.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #23753
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I picked up a few words from Shogun and for once didn't have to google a Japanese word in Stitchawl's post
Well done!

Quote:
Is it harder or easier than wallpapering (which I hate doing)? I'm assuming you stretch the shoji paper over frames and glue round the edges, not all over like wallpaper?
No stretching involved. Lay the shoji flat, remove old paper, lightly scrape off any residue, apply glue to all the cross members, roll the paper down, trim with a razor blade. With old-style rice paper, you can then spray with water and the paper will shrink into a smooth 'skin.' Pretty easy, actually. But...
Today we were really papering the 'fusuma.' These are used for the interior sliding walls between rooms and as doors to the cabinet where one is 'supposed' to store bedding during the day (unless one is as lazy as we are, and just close off the bedroom during the day...) Fusuma are solid panels, and it's a bit more difficult to get the paper to lay smoothly. And because of the patterns, more difficult to get it all straight and lined up correctly. We have three fusuma between the living room and the dinning room, two between the living room and the bed room, two between the bed room and the hall, and three covering the bed room bedding closet. Fortunately, only six of them need recovering, three of them on both sides. If I was smart, I'd hire someone to do it. If my wife was smart, she'd let me hire someone to do it. LUCY!!!!!!!

Stitchawl
Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #23754
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Good luck Grand Mouse, Betty and Stitchawl in your various endeavors.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #23755
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yikes! So much happening. Good luck everyone!

Blue Springs Oolong in my cup
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #23756
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hot coffee in my cup.

Stitchawl - what is the reason for paper still being used? Especially, when it is so cold in winter?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #23757
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
A mug of hot tea on a wet, chilly day.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #23758
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
What is RPM session?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post

I would like to know also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Sounds like a spin class, stationary bike workout on steroids.

I wanna go to the gym. I wanna work out. Stupid uncontrolled asthma.

Lucas dozing on my shoulder.
It's a spinning class, but a well thought-out one by Les Mills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Hmm... I guess maybe but I was thinking it was (R)odent (P)owered (M)assage
Hehe, that would be nice Actually it's Raw Power in Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Black coffee (hazelnut). I've been in a whirlwind of activity here trying to settle Mom's affairs and figure out my own life. I've got a contract on a cozy little brick house about 20 miles west of here, near my middle sister. If all goes well, I'll close somewhere around March 15 and move (along with the elderly dog and noisy bird I inherited from Mom.) Ah well, they're lots of company anyway.
Good luck!

Whew, the past couple of days have been crazy! I spend two days baking non stop, to get everything ready for a friend's baby shower! Everything worked out, and it's all out the door. So now it's time to relax! Finally!

Nothing in my cup right now, but I'm having spaghetti (also finally, it's 22:45 )
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #23759
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Tra-la-la, twiddly-dee-dee
It gives me a thrill
To wake up in the morning to the mockingbird's trill
Tra-la-la, twiddly-dee-dee
There's peace and goodwill
You're welcome as the flowers on Mockin' Bird Hill

When the sun in the morning
Peeps over the hill,
And kisses the roses 'round my windowsill
Then my heart fills with gladness
When I hear the trill
Of the birds in the treetops on Mockin' Bird Hill

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekjFjTBSGNw )

Good morning, everyone! A pleasant Sunday morning with Twinings "English Breakfast" tea in my cup. I haven't had this company's EB tea in a while so I picked up a tin on sale the other day. Not bad... but only half the flavor of Taylors or Ahmad. Just not a 'robust' cup of tea!

Back to work on the fusuma today. We'd like to get everything done in the house so the estate agent can begin bringing buyers around. I guess this is going to mean that I have to pick up my toys every day... bummer... Right now my computer desk/workbench is covered with bits of leather lacing, colored string, clay, little bottle of paint, electronic parts, wooden beads, two pocket knives, etc., etc., etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Stitchawl - what is the reason for paper still being used? Especially, when it is so cold in winter?
These days paper is used 'inside' outer walls of regular building materials; wood, glass, stone, etc., and used only for decorative purposes. Even in olden days, there were two layers of walls with a walkway between insulating the living quarters. Like THIS. Cold, but better than a single layer. Except in the northern regions north of Tokyo, the walls of houses were never insulated. (This is changing now, but very slowly...) Houses were very cold in winter, with people just about living under blankets. Folks lived in the kitchen, sitting around a kotatsu, a table with a heater underneath. Often that was the ONLY heat in the house, even in snow regions, so people would even sleep under the kotatsu! It was my sister-in-law's responsibility to get up earlier than the rest of the family to light the charcoal in the family kotatsu in the kitchen. Today's kotatsu use an electric heat lamp instead of charcoal, but you will find kotatsu in 'almost' every Japanese home today.

These days people are using kerosene or electric room heaters or 'electric rugs' (like electric blankets except you sit on top of them.) So paper walls aren't there to keep the heat in, only for traditional decorative reasons. And they really ARE pretty!

But INDOOR sliding walls are more often solid doors with a paper covering for decoration. Like wallpaper but with individual designs. It's much too easy to put your fingers through a paper door that is used often, especially if you are between 3 yrs and 9 yrs old and running around! The 'fusuma' is a solid sliding door that doesn't get finger holes in it! But it does get a bit grubby after a few years, so the paper covering needs to be re-newed.

So I guess you could say that the use of paper walls today is more for tradition and aesthetics than necessity. Electric heat is replacing kerosene and charcoal, but those two are still in wide spread use.

The 'real' question should be; 'why do the Japanese favor 'sliding doors' rather than what we are more used to in the west?'

Stitchawl
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #23760
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
because they are a more efficient use of space! one of the last install jobs I did was a new microsoft building and all of the offices had sliding doors
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?