Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
The thread is a bit old but it's the most relevant I could find.

Could you plaese tell me is now the best way to define the line-height in CSS for Kindlegen? I'm using 1.25 em for my paragraphs in ePub (which seemingly doesn't work in Kindlegen) so far. Does percentage work?
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #17
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
The thread is a bit old but it's the most relevant I could find.

Could you plaese tell me is now the best way to define the line-height in CSS for Kindlegen? I'm using 1.25 em for my paragraphs in ePub (which seemingly doesn't work in Kindlegen) so far. Does percentage work?
AFAIK, line-height in CSS for Kindlegen doesn't work for Mobi7. You can use "line-height" for KF8 files and "em" is the normal unit used.

Be wary that there is a bug with specifying a "line-height" in the CSS, the user won't see any changes to the "space" between lines when changing "font size" or "line space" on the Kindle Fire.
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Hopefully I've picked the right thread to discuss this issue. I convert to mobi using an epub and KindlePreviewer... I have all the bugs worked out, mostly, but the books I produce are very attractive (they're all Romances so they should be attractive). Anyway, when I used to use Calibre to convert to mobi within that software... and when I used to use MobiPocket Creator... the function on the my Kindle Fire where you can change fonts from the publisher font to others worked beautifully. Now, since using Kindle Previewer/Kindlegen, it no longer works... I only get the default Georgia font. Changing font types works great within epub (iPad) and on the Kindle app in iPad but not on my Fire... any suggestions?
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
Hopefully I've picked the right thread to discuss this issue. I convert to mobi using an epub and KindlePreviewer... I have all the bugs worked out, mostly, but the books I produce are very attractive (they're all Romances so they should be attractive). Anyway, when I used to use Calibre to convert to mobi within that software... and when I used to use MobiPocket Creator... the function on the my Kindle Fire where you can change fonts from the publisher font to others worked beautifully. Now, since using Kindle Previewer/Kindlegen, it no longer works... I only get the default Georgia font. Changing font types works great within epub (iPad) and on the Kindle app in iPad but not on my Fire... any suggestions?
How did you embed the font? Did you embed it for paragraph classes? Header classes? What level of element--or the body class? How, precisely, did you embed and the call the element clases for the "publisher" font?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

In Word I just set the Default to Times New Roman and 12pt and single space with an indent of 0.25in... I believe the Amazon instructions suggest defaulting to TNR. When I get the file in Sigil to edit the epub and set the Guide items before taking the epub through KindlePreviewer/Kindlegen, should I be doing something to the font here? It just seems weird that other fonts are available for all the epub devices as well as the Kindle app 'mobi' but not the actual Kindle.
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In Word I just set the Default to Times New Roman and 12pt and single space with an indent of 0.25in... I believe the Amazon instructions suggest defaulting to TNR. When I get the file in Sigil to edit the epub and set the Guide items before taking the epub through KindlePreviewer/Kindlegen, should I be doing something to the font here? It just seems weird that other fonts are available for all the epub devices as well as the Kindle app 'mobi' but not the actual Kindle.
Yes, but did you set the font at the paragraph level? (At the style for Normal?) Did you create a new style? The Guide items have nothing to do with the font. ePUB devices and Kindle render books quite differently, as is also the case with actual Kindles and Kindle reading apps, which are essentially mini-browsers, not devices.

Hitch
Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind

Sorry, Yes I set the font in MsoNormal... no new style. The font was also set in the Heading Styles... h1, h2, h3 as well as all the styles that I created (Center, etc). I set the default font, indent, single space stuff in Word (Manage Styles) I didn't mean to mention Guide items... what I meant was that I edit the font sizes in Sigil... and look at all the html to make sure that it's what I want. I actually never touch the fonts in Sigil... they're always the default font that carries through from the Word Styles that I use. (MsoNormal, h1, h2, h3, Title, Center, etc)

Here is the HTML of MsoNormal and h1 for reference:

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
text-indent:.25in;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
h1
{mso-style-link:"Heading 1 Char";
margin-top:24.0pt;
margin-right:0in;
margin-bottom:24.0pt;
margin-left:0in;
page-break-before:always;
font-size:14.0pt;

I'm doing something wrong, yes?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Sorry, Yes I set the font in MsoNormal... no new style. The font was also set in the Heading Styles... h1, h2, h3 as well as all the styles that I created (Center, etc). I set the default font, indent, single space stuff in Word (Manage Styles) I didn't mean to mention Guide items... what I meant was that I edit the font sizes in Sigil... and look at all the html to make sure that it's what I want. I actually never touch the fonts in Sigil... they're always the default font that carries through from the Word Styles that I use. (MsoNormal, h1, h2, h3, Title, Center, etc)

Here is the HTML of MsoNormal and h1 for reference:

margin-bottom:.0001pt;
text-indent:.25in;
font-size:12.0pt;
h1
{mso-style-link:"Heading 1 Char";
margin-top:24.0pt;
margin-right:0in;
margin-bottom:24.0pt;
margin-left:0in;
page-break-before:always;
font-size:14.0pt;

I'm doing something wrong, yes?
Hi:

Well, generally, yes. Remove the font NAME altogether-for example, change your paragraph declaration thusly:

margin-bottom: 0.3em;
text-indent: 2em;
font-size: 1em;
font-family: "serif";}

Now, the bottom indent, the text-indent and the font size are all sort of a guess, as I haven't seen your book. You can change them to suit yourself. You'll need to do this for every style you use in the book--remove the direct font call. If you set your line-height to lead the text a bit, you mayn't need that bottom margin setting.

You really don't even need the "serif" font-family declaration, either (TNR is the default for almost everything). And don't use font-sizes set in points; you can use ems, or even percentages (ems work better), but if you set your fontsize in points, you'll run into issues in Kindle, even using Caibre as your go-between. With regard to using Calibre, I still have to recommend against that, as Calibre books, despite all of the work everyone's done, are still being rejected at Amazon, even as recently as about 10 days ago. Not every Calibre book, of course--but it's still happening. I had one come back to me that had been "converted" at Smashwords, which uses the API--so that one wasn't even a K8 attempt.

If you're determined to use Times New Roman, you can set the font, but you'll run into the issues that you've currently encountered; an inability to reset the font with the device.

Try that, and let me know if it solves your issue. If it doesn't, there may be something else in your stylesheet that's causing it (do you have an ocean of font declarations preceding the actual style declarations in the stylesheet, perhaps?)

Hitch
Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind

Not an ocean of font declarations... but I do have the ones that Amazon uses... Georgia, Palatino, etc. about 7... should I take all the font declarations out all together? I wonder why this problem happened with KindlePreviewer/Kindlegen but not with MobiPocketCreator? I could always reach device fonts with that.

I'll take out all the fonts within the styles and let you know how that works.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Not an ocean of font declarations... but I do have the ones that Amazon uses... Georgia, Palatino, etc. about 7... should I take all the font declarations out all together? I wonder why this problem happened with KindlePreviewer/Kindlegen but not with MobiPocketCreator? I could always reach device fonts with that.

I'll take out all the fonts within the styles and let you know how that works.
Well, for one thing, mobipocket creator never used your stylesheets. Mobi7 (aka Mobi6) doesn't have stylesheets; MBPC simply took whatever styling information it could use and "interpreted" it into HTML tags, nothing more. KindleGen is a completely different animal, and does use Stylesheets.

Unless you've embedded the font files themselves, there's no reason to "call" the font files--in your CSS, where are you indicating that the font files are located? When you put src:url...what are you listing for that, I wonder? And in using MBPC, what "fonts" were you reaching? Mobi 7 (or Mobi 6, whatever) had Caecilia, that's it, for proportional fonts; Courier for non. What fonts do you think you were reaching, and on what devices? And how?

Am I having this discussion on two completely different forums? It seems as though I'm explaining the Olden Mobipocket Creator differences (from KG/KP) in two places...?

Hitch
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind

Hitch, thanks so much... works like a charm now. You're the best!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Hitch, thanks so much... works like a charm now. You're the best!
Thank you!

You're obviously a poster of highly discriminating taste. ;-)

Seriously, glad I could help.

Hitch

Tags
chapter headings, kindle previewer, mobi conversion